Finings to Kegged and carbonated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
Ok so I'm not sure what is happening, I've never had this problem before. But recently I kegged a German Alt. I got it carbonated and it tastes great. I fermented at a about 55 degrees, crashed it, lagered it and it's coming out of the tap murky. Has anyone added gelatin finings to a carbed keg and transferred it to a new Clean keg. Looking for some options...I usually make very clear Beer...except this time!

There is no issue with that at all. However, it would be easier to just fine it, pull off a murky pint, then drink. No need to transfer to another keg as long as you dont disturb the fined one.... Carbonation has no effect on fining in my experience.

If you have never added anything to an already carbed keg, watch out for foaming as the addition is being made. My suggestion is do it in an area that can be cleaned up easily, there will be a great release of CO2 from the beer when you introduce the finings. I have added frozen concentrated apple juice to carbed ciders to sweeten them up a little and added more hops to IPAs for more aroma. Every tine, it is like a lava flow from a volcano. Not so much re painting the ceiling but definitely moping the floor..

Back