Finings in a 2 can kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringo3547

Reaction score
I am brewing a 2 can beer kit. Can i add finnings to help clear? No mentioned in instructions

Two Can Kit ??

Be a little more specific. Is it a kit like a Cooper's all liquid malt kit with hop flavors in the can? Is there a boil involved or just heating water, mixing in the cans then adding yeast and fermenting?
Basically what kit and how did you make it ?
This would help out those who want to help you out.

bosco

I am brewing a 2 can beer kit. Can i add finnings to help clear? No mentioned in instructions

Now that we know what you are making there are a few tips I can offer.
I've made my share of all liquid extract Cooper's kits and they make a pretty good beer if you ignore some of the instructions.

1. Sanitation is as always very important with these kits since you are not doing any real boiling.

2. The liquid extract has the hops flavor in it already, so there is no hops floating around in the wort.

3. You will not have any HOT break or COLD break with that method of brewing, so there will be a lot less stuff floating around in your beer.

4. If you let the beer ferment for a week after the specific gravity has stabilized you will have a very clear beer to put into your bottles. THE INSTRUCTIONS always tend to rush you into bottling so you will get started on another kit.
YOU DO HAVE TO ADD PRIMING SUGAR FOR CARBONATION
5. When you bottle it make sure you do not suck up any of the trub (the bottom layer of sludge in the fermenter) into your bottles.

6. Allow the bottles to carbonate for a week or two at about 70 degrees (21-22 C) and then let them sit for a few more weeks.

7. Fill a plastic Pepsi or another type of CLEAR soda pop bottle when you bottle the rest. This will show you how carbonation is progressing as well as clearing or brightening.

I find no need to use finings in Cooper's (the same for your kit) JUST PATIENCE.

Sure you can rush it to the bottle in a week (if it was finished fermenting) and sure you can let it carbonate for 1 week and then start drinking it, BUT you will get a very decent beer if you give it a little time.

REMEMBER...This is a bottle carbonated and conditioned beer so there will ALWAYS be sediment in the bottle. If you give it the proper time to settle out it should form a nice tight compact layer in the bottom of the bottle and will stay behind if you do a steady gentle pour into you glass. RINSE the bottle out right away and put it up to dry, ready for your next batch.

OMO

bosco

Thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive reply , got my second wherry on the go now been fermenting since friday. Its bubbling through the air lock like a good one.
Do think this friday for bottling? wat priming sugar do u use?

Thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive reply , got my second wherry on the go now been fermenting since friday. Its bubbling through the air lock like a good one.
Do think this friday for bottling? wat priming sugar do u use?

See Tip #4 If you let the beer ferment for a week after the specific gravity has stabilized you will have a very clear beer to put into your bottles. THE INSTRUCTIONS always tend to rush you into bottling so you will get started on another kit.

I've used Cooper's carbonating drops before (they came with the kits).
Now I use simple table sugar dissolved in water, brought to a boil, cooled then poured into the beer as it goes into the bottling bucket. Look for a priming sugar calculator on line for the amount or follow the beer kit instructions.

bosco

Back