Finally broke down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davygoat2

Reaction score
Yesterday was Brew Day!
Just a shout out to all the Authors of all the articles I've scoured since March.
Karps in E. Northport NY for the starter kit, SS work Cooler and a True Brew IPA kit. Steep the Grains then add Malt extract, Hops pellets for boil and finish.
Started 1400hrs and finished at 1700.
C-brite sani and tap water rinse, should have boiled more water than recommended, had to top off 1/2 gal of Tap water.
Loss from the grain bag and boil off,
Used too fine of a strainer removing the hops pellets.
Other than that Awesome! tried the raw work not bad!
left out 6oz of the wort i used to check the OG. right on the money and temp
nice to see the Krausen form on the counter. Looks like trub on the bottom
all ready. Need a longer vessel to use the Hydrometer.
Live and learn, but first thing this morning it was happy bubbling away in
the bucket.Directions said water in the airlock, Probably top off with vodka.
I have to bring home my meter with the temp probe next time.
The beer doesn't seem to mind I didn't do my math homework
Thanks again! amber ale next!

Will work on a name tonight!

Congrats on your first. And that's wort,not work. As long as the hop pellets went through the boil for the right amount of time,it'll be fine. I like to use cheap grocery store vodka in my airlocks too. Any nasties that get in it die.

I brewed my first on Saturday. I am a Long Islander also. I want to check out that LHBS in Northport. It's on my list of things to do. You should also Check out the Hoptron Brewtique. Nice homebrew store in Patchogue. Congrats and maybe we'll bump into each other sometime. :)

My 1st brew day post is over here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/brew-day-virgin-435652/

I brewed my first on Saturday. I am a Long Islander also. I want to check out that LHBS in Northport. It's on my list of things to do. You should also Check out the Hoptron Brewtique. Nice homebrew store in Patchogue. Congrats and maybe we'll bump into each other sometime. :)
I didn't hear of one in Northport, just the KARPS E.Northport Hardware right by the Tracks. Super Friendly. and just got the 2013 LHBS Award for best store.
We hit it off and the conversation moved off beer to politics and the Constitution. Good STUFF!. been in the Islip Store. nice too bought my book there. I work in Port Jeff Sta. heard there was a brewstore as well as the Craft Brewery, haven't gone down the hill yet. working on the strenght to waddle back up the hill after

Congrats Daveyboy2!
And kudos for doing your research ahead of time. That will eliminate alot of the common "Is this right?" posts.(Although feel free to post any Qs that might pop up).
It's fun, isn't it.
And you get beer!
:mug:

I'm sorry guys... but please make sure you saved money for your divorce attorney...if you are like me you will get addicted and put your marriage in the crapper.... ;)

I'm Divorced as well, I put off paying the Ex so I can collect more 20oz. bombers to fill.
I live in denial anyway so I might as well believe it will be cheaper to brew.
I Hunt and Fish so I believe it only costs a shell or a hook and bait.
It's Day 5 of the IPA called UNcertainty. Vigorous fermentation started monday and ceased around wednesday, TrueBrew Maestro IPA 1lb Grain and 2cans Amber Malt Extract.
Muntons Ale Yeast but no ID# i could find, ambient temp is 72-68.
I strained the pelletized hops with the strainer so I figure the wort was oxygenated enough
as it splashed in the 6gal fermentor. dried yeast got woken up a hour before pitching
I was planning on bottling next weekend "2weeks primary" but the kit calls for a week in primary then bottling. I have to find a tall enough vessel for the Hydrometer without waste. Input? i have beer to pass the time till next week

So it's Uncertainty's pre-opening day, 2 weeks in the primary hit the dreaded .020 wall and bottled with 1/2 cup less primer than the directions said.
I'm very happy with the results. head retention! Check. all around the tongue and taste test. Check!! Uh Oh!! Happy Learned to Putt!!
It can only get better from here. Tiiiiime Is onn my siiide! YES IT IS!!

Next will be a whiskey smoked stout. have to have a reason to buy a airlock/plug and since I have a 5 gal carboy to secondary in..

I want to BAIB in my turkey fryer but I'm not sure how to really clean it with all the oil. not sure if I have to dedicate a unfried one to mash/boil in..

I'm Divorced as well, I put off paying the Ex so I can collect more 20oz. bombers to fill.
I live in denial anyway so I might as well believe it will be cheaper to brew.
I Hunt and Fish so I believe it only costs a shell or a hook and bait.
It's Day 5 of the IPA called UNcertainty. Vigorous fermentation started monday and ceased around wednesday, TrueBrew Maestro IPA 1lb Grain and 2cans Amber Malt Extract.
Muntons Ale Yeast but no ID# i could find, ambient temp is 72-68.
I strained the pelletized hops with the strainer so I figure the wort was oxygenated enough
as it splashed in the 6gal fermentor. dried yeast got woken up a hour before pitching
I was planning on bottling next weekend "2weeks primary" but the kit calls for a week in primary then bottling. I have to find a tall enough vessel for the Hydrometer without waste. Input? i have beer to pass the time till next week

I used to snag a lot when I was a teenager and actually thought it might be a bit cheaper than buying bait! That is, until I noticed the pile of broken rods and reels I had collected!! But if your like me, you really don't even wanna know what it cost. I have my child support taken straight out of my paycheck, ya it's like 1,000 a month, but since I'm not actually writing the check it doesn't hurt as much.....I tell myself.

1 week in the primary generally accepted as not long enough, try at least 2. They make hydrometer test jars, here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NDHGEM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked into another LHBS and picked up a thief. it doesn't stand on it's own,
I sucked up trub filling it but i adapted on the second attempt.
I was going to use the tube but it has all the charts on paper rolled up in it.
That would get lost in the shuffle.

I have the tube from the first hydrometer I broke,which is the same. I put the papers in there,or you can tape it in your notebook. then you can use the tube. Kinda wastefull not to just because of a piece of paper I rarely if ever use.

Duh! NOtebook. I want to start getting comfortable with the math and stuff.
BAIB is calling and is cheaper than kit/extract in the long run.
I'm off for a whiskey stout and a airlock for the secondary.
probably buy the hops bag and the BAIB bag as well

Latest posts

Back