Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slc10

Reaction score
i am a little confused. can i filter my beer and still have enough yeast to bottle carbonate. What does everyone use to filter with?

Filtering beer will normally remove all of the yeast.

If it doesn't, then when you bottle carbonate THAT will generate enough sediment to cloud your beer up.

Cold crashing and/or using fining agents is normally all you will want to do for homebrew, although you can filter and then force carb with pressurized CO2.

Filtering beer will normally remove all of the yeast.

If it doesn't, then when you bottle carbonate THAT will generate enough sediment to cloud your beer up.

Cold crashing and/or using fining agents is normally all you will want to do for homebrew, although you can filter and then force carb with pressurized CO2.

whats the best fining agent to use?

it's debatable, but gelatin works well for a lot of people. i find that with enough time, beers clear out fine without clearing agents.

if you do a proper job of allowing a long enough conditioning phase while fermenting, a good cold crash, and a nice bottle conditioning time frame your beer should end up sparkling clear. i just completed an amber ale, with a 4 week fermentation, and two weeks bottle conditioning, then set them in the fridge for two days before i drank any, they came out crystal clear and quite delicious. it's all about time and temp control.

If you use a 2 micron house filter, there will be enough yeast. To remove all of the yeast, you need a sub-micron filter.

Back