Filtering wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarFromBilly

Reaction score
I am hoping you guys & gals will be able to help me with the good advice to help me make wise choices with home brews. My question is if I want to filter my wine to simply remove small visible particles that don't want to settle out. Is it ok to use sanitized coffee filters?

I would worry about the aeration. I personally would let it sit longer. But that's just me.

What kind of wine, yeast and how long has it been siting?

Worst case scenario, some finings.

That sounds like a slow painful process that would potentially oxidize your wine. If you want a nice polished product buy a pump and filter assembly.

I've tried that on a small sample that I wanted to drink. The coffee filter just clogged with yeast particles and the liquid sat on top of the filter for a couple of hours until I got tired of it and poured it unfiltered into a glass. That was only with about 4-oz liquid, too.

I want to get a pump filter that can be used to rack or rack and filter. I want to be able to bottle with the pump after it has aged. I would also like to be able to pump filter (course) from my beer secondary into bottles for conditioning/carbonation with the same setup. I provided my sketch to manufacture they pretty much want me to simply but a bottler....can anyone help me find anything wrong with my sketch. All piping/tubing is the same size as the oem discharge piping/tubing.

image-1320298599.jpg

Filtering and bottling have become a pleasure since I got a vacuum pump. Early on in my wine making, I tried the whole coffee filter thing, it is absolutely painfully slow and just too much oxygen comes in contact with the wine.

Since my back isn't the greatest (got to love getting old...lol), I needed a vacuum pump so I didn't have to lift full carboys as much, I did a lot of research on the net and found a vacuum pump that I could rack, filter, degass and bottle with, the coolest part is that I can rack and bottle beer with it as well!

Although I am not part of the company, nor do I benefit in any way from recommending this pump, I can tell you that I've used this pump more than most people I know and it always works flawlessly, not to mention the customer service, the owner called me on a holiday after seeing a post about which attachment to use!

check out the All In One Wine Pump http://allinonewinepump.com/

Filtering and bottling have become a pleasure since I got a vacuum pump. Early on in my wine making, I tried the whole coffee filter thing, it is absolutely painfully slow and just too much oxygen comes in contact with the wine.

Since my back isn't the greatest (got to love getting old...lol), I needed a vacuum pump so I didn't have to lift full carboys as much, I did a lot of research on the net and found a vacuum pump that I could rack, filter, degass and bottle with, the coolest part is that I can rack and bottle beer with it as well!

Although I am not part of the company, nor do I benefit in any way from recommending this pump, I can tell you that I've used this pump more than most people I know and it always works flawlessly, not to mention the customer service, the owner called me on a holiday after seeing a post about which attachment to use!

check out the All In One Wine Pump http://allinonewinepump.com/

I'm planning on getting a pump, so thanks for the link. I'm, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it!) getting older too.

How do you set up a filter with it? Do you have a plate filter that you use?

Looks like a whole house filter in the video and I'm wondering how you clean it after filtering. Those things aren't cheap.

You can clean it by running a meta solution through it, personally I don't keep my filters, I found them relatively cheap at filters fast.

Back