Filter Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I have heard that there is a fair amount of yeast sentiment at the bottom of bottles. Has anyone experimented with straining while siphoning from the primary to the bottle? Just curious if this would do anything.

The yeast are in suspension when you bottle, they eat up the priming sugar and carb your beer then they settle at the bottom of the bottle. Just use the shoulder of the bottle to keep from pouring them into the glass, or not...

If you are bottle carbonating you need the yeast to produce CO2, at the same time more sediment will be created in the bottle during carbonation... You can reduce the amount in the bottles a couple of ways, add gelatin 3 days before bottling, let your bottling bucket rest to settle out the sediment. My preference is to rack to a secondary for clearing about a week before bottling which removes enough for my taste and gives me a clear beer that has a better taste. Beyond that I have learned how to pour carefully which is the real secret to clean and clear brew...

I have less sediment than some commercially conditioned bottles I've had so I've never seen the need for filtering. Also, since it removes some of the flavor along with the sediment, I think it's not so good to do.

Back