Hop Reconstitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonybrews

Reaction score
Just a thought.
Regarding the dregs in the bottom of my fermenter, after scattering the hop granules in my fermenter and bottling off ,the hop dregs smelt and looked soo yum , I got to thinking, can I reconstitute them by adding some malt water and yeast , has anyone given it a go ?
Cheers

Would you make your coffee from grounds that have already been used once? Tea leaves, maybe. Coffee, no!

And I'm going to be a no on hop reuse for beer since the alpha acids and cohumulone levels would be essentially unknown.

My compost pile loves them along with all the other trub and especially spent yeast.

After fermentation, you could think about homemade marmite/vegemite … if that’s your thing. That’s of course much more about the yeast than the hops.

My understanding is that commercial entities have at least talked about using whirlpool hop sludge as a source of alpha acids in a subsequent brew. I’m guessing that only makes sense if you’re looking at penny margins.

^^ Well, the Op is from New Zed, perhaps has taste for Marmite or Vegemite. It is not so bad, once one learns to spread it over well buttered toast. Hunger helps too.

Seriously though, hotbeer's comment on reused coffee grounds & tea bags kind of sums it up. If supply lines break down, in catastrophe it might be worth trying. But otherwise likely to have disappointing beer for the same effort making good beer and spending a dollar or two on hops.

Latest posts

Back