Fieldwork Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my favorite spots in SF. Not sure if same as the one in Outer Richmond.
Samesies.
tumblr_static_tumblr_static_b7gi614jlq80owkooc044cgkk_640.jpg

I've had good burritos with rice and beans, and good burritos without rice and beans. I don't understand why people get so hung up on this.
I don't understand why you can't understand my personal preference, Stu...

Growing up, I was fine with rice and beans on my burritos. 5 years in San Diego changed me. They just don't do it for me any more. I want meat (Carne Asada or Carnitas), guac and pico. That's it. Everything else is a distraction and unnecessary filler.

Also, California burritos are an abomination. The fry texture ruins the burrito. I know that's not strictly relevant to this conversation, but I wanted to get it off my chest.

I've had good burritos with rice and beans, and good burritos without rice and beans. I don't understand why people get so hung up on this.
For sure but I think we're more talking about your finding your perfect burrito. I like to switch it up with things like beans and meats, but my perfect or ultimate burrito would never have rice. Also, I used to live walking distance to Clement Gordo and have to say that while I like it, I can probably think of at least 10 places in the city that I prefer to Gordo.

I don't understand why you can't understand my personal preference, Stu...

Growing up, I was fine with rice and beans on my burritos. 5 years in San Diego changed me. They just don't do it for me any more. I want meat (Carne Asada or Carnitas), guac and pico. That's it. Everything else is a distraction and unnecessary filler.

Also, California burritos are an abomination. The fry texture ruins the burrito. I know that's not strictly relevant to this conversation, but I wanted to get it off my chest.
I was speaking generally. To hear discussion about this you'd think each side thinks the other is literally advocating eating babies. It's kind of absurd. (Although I do find it pretty weird that adding ingredients that you're otherwise fine with ruins something for you.)

Because there a million flavors that are good independently, but don't mix well. Mustard on a pb&j for example. Mayo added to all sorts of things. Etc. Plenty of beer examples as well.
But that's not what's happening here. Unless your consumption of mexican food is really weird those flavors are acceptable together, just not in burrito form. But then again you're pretty weird so maybe that's true.

I see it as being really against putting pepperoni on pizza, but being fine with it on an Italian sandwich. It's like, these are nearly the same flavors just rearranged, why is one okay but the other isn't?

Basically it seems like people from San Diego get all snobby about burritos just so they can feel superior about something.

But that's not what's happening here. Unless your consumption of mexican food is really weird those flavors are acceptable together, just not in burrito form. But then again you're pretty weird so maybe that's true.

I see it as being really against putting pepperoni on pizza, but being fine with it on an Italian sandwich. It's like, these are nearly the same flavors just rearranged, why is one okay but the other isn't?

Basically it seems like people from San Diego get all snobby about burritos just so they can feel superior about something.
Eh, I sorta see what you're getting at, but I don't think it's entirely correct. A turkey sandwich after thanksgiving doesn't taste quite the same as the turkey dinner in its individual components. And to be perfectly honest, I rarely eat beans or rice with my mexican food - it's almost entirely limited to tacos or burritos.

I certainly can't claim to be from San Diego, but trust me when I say that burritos are pretty far down on their list of feeling superior to Nor Cal...

Eh, I sorta see what you're getting at, but I don't think it's entirely correct. A turkey sandwich after thanksgiving doesn't taste quite the same as the turkey dinner in its individual components. And to be perfectly honest, I rarely eat beans or rice with my mexican food - it's almost entirely limited to tacos or burritos.

I certainly can't claim to be from San Diego, but trust me when I say that burritos are pretty far down on their list of feeling superior to Nor Cal...
And let's all agree on what's important: NorCal tacos are amazing and underrated out of region.

Find the biggest tortilla you can, stuff it as full of **** as possible while still being able to wrap it. If it turns out that it can't quite be wrapped properly, simply add a sheet of foil and wrap it tight to hold it all together. <-Burrito

And for Tosh, love me some Fieldwork!

Staggered over from Fieldwork to Picante last time I was there. Curious to know if it's just as good whilst sober. Based off my pics, I had the al pastor burrito (and I always have my beans refried).

For others more familiar with the area, I'm all ears.
La Mission on University is another great burrito option. It's my personal favorite in the bay area.

It could also be that people enjoy good-natured pretend-angry arguing. ;)
I would never argue with you sage

To which I will provide you with my SD to Bay Area Transplant Burrito Power Rankings

1. Taqueria El Farolito
2. El Taco Oaxaco
3. The Hotsy Totsy Taco Truck
4. La Taqueria
5. Anything but Gordo's

next up, my list for why San Diego has the best bastardization of Mexican food on earth......

I would never argue with you sage

To which I will provide you with my SD to Bay Area Transplant Burrito Power Rankings

1. Taqueria El Farolito
2. El Taco Oaxaco
3. The Hotsy Totsy Taco Truck
4. La Taqueria
5. Anything but Gordo's

next up, my list for why San Diego has the best bastardization of Mexican food on earth......
1) Not sure if you've been to Taqueria El Paisa or Taqueria Sinaloa mralextweet but might be worth your time. Both off of International Blvd. in East Oakland so go during the day(not joking), but def legit. Could be a game/list changer.
2) Welcome to TB
3) Thanks for the beer
4) Last Fieldwork thread derailing post. Sorry tosh.
wW7Hvxn.jpg

*not pictured, the security guard. Srs.

Staggered over from Fieldwork to Picante last time I was there. Curious to know if it's just as good whilst sober. Based off my pics, I had the al pastor burrito (and I always have my beans refried).

For others more familiar with the area, I'm all ears.
Picante is killer for plate meals, but burritos are a little hit or miss. But service is great and they have Modelo Especial on tap.
La Palmita is just up the street on San Pablo next to the mortuary. Tacos are good, just meat and pico. Everything else is pretty meh. But great stop to just load up on tacos and pretty sure they have bottles of Modelo.
A short uber ride in Albany is the Hotsy Totsy; they make killer burritos, and their hot sauce is actually hot. Really nice ladies running the place too.
I think you need reservations, but Comal which is an even shorter uber away does IMO some of the best mexican food north of the border. World class.
Also, if you are near Rare Barrel ever there is Juan's Place. It can be a little pricey for a divey mexican cantina, but the food is really good, very authentic tijuana style restaurant, great mariachi music on their juke box, great service, they have Modelo in cans, home made chips, guac, all great there.

1) Not sure if you've been to Taqueria El Paisa or Taqueria Sinaloa mralextweet but might be worth your time. Both off of International Blvd. in East Oakland so go during the day(not joking), but def legit. Could be a game/list changer.
2) Welcome to TB
3) Thanks for the beer
4) Last Fieldwork thread derailing post. Sorry tosh.
*not pictured, the security guard. Srs.
I wasn't a big fan of Sinaloa or the others off International people have dragged me to. Not bad at all, just not for me. Paisa looks perfect though, the dirtier the storefront the better, i'll have to check it out after the A's game Sunday.

Sorry for the threadjack participation, i just get excited when people want to talk about burritos.

Last edited:
Spending nearly the first 25-26 years of my life in San Diego, I'm a pretty big burrito/taco snob. But, I don't don't give a **** what you eat or prefer, just dont tell me your preferences are the correct ones. It's just like beer, everyone is right and at the same time everyone is wrong. Who gives a ****. Enjoy it.

Back