Fieldwork Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually don't think that most dishwashers used by breweries/tasting rooms have the ability to remove lipstick stains. I always thought most were light heated rinse and drying. Some of those lipsticks you need a damn power-sander to remove.

My first job (after being a paper boy) was washing dishes at a cafeteria at a ski resort. You're absolutely correct - the washing needs to be done before going in the machine. The machine's primary use is rinsing and sanitization.

Sounds like there are a lot of missed opportunities to catch the stain. The last person to check should be the one pouring the beer, and after you brought it to their attention the first time, it shouldn't have happened again.

They should be scrubbing glasses before the wash or hitting them with a towel after the wash. Lots of drinking establishments do this, even the little guys.

I actually don't think that most dishwashers used by breweries/tasting rooms have the ability to remove lipstick stains. I always thought most were light heated rinse and drying. Some of those lipsticks you need a damn power-sander to remove.

I sure hope they take the time from now on to scrub these glasses or figure it out, because multiple glasses, one after another needing to be dumped or re-poured is absolutely amateur hour. This is the only brewery I have ever run into this issue with.

Other than the glasses, the brewery so far has kicked ass imo.

It looked like staff were inspecting glasses before they poured when I was there earlier.

In other news, Fieldwork needs a better system for bottle releases. Way to slow. At least they had it set up so as to let you wait inside out of the rain.

It looked like staff were inspecting glasses before they poured when I was there earlier.

In other news, Fieldwork needs a better system for bottle releases. Way to slow. At least they had it set up so as to let you wait inside out of the rain.

Such a damn turnoff. How about they handwash their glasses and then dishwash them.

I actually thought it was shockingly smooth for a beer release. However, I think the major thing slowing it down is that it's the same line to buy bottles and your draft...which I actually appreciate, because I like being good to go in one transaction, and not having to awkwardly carry bottles through a second line to buy beer to drink.

And yeah, thank you Matt and staff for letting everyone wait inside, super courteous move!

I actually thought it was shockingly smooth for a beer release. However, I think the major thing slowing it down is that it's the same line to buy bottles and your draft...which I actually appreciate, because I like being good to go in one transaction, and not having to awkwardly carry bottles through a second line to buy beer to drink.

And yeah, thank you Matt and staff for letting everyone wait inside, super courteous move!

Maybe I just have an issue with standing in line? I got frustrated by the system yesterday and there were only 7 people in front of me.

But do they need to write down names, then staple tiny pieces of paper to another piece of paper? Too time consuming.

The thing that slowed down the bottle/draft line was that servers were serving people who just wanted draft or fills rather than people in the bottle line (or so it seemed to me).

This is OT but why has no one tried to open up something or expand into San Jose? I don't get it.

They've got the Hermitage-Strike-Santa Clara Valley beer corridor, but that does not generally strike me as worth the trip (though I like the vibe, and some of the beers, at SCVB). There is the ISOBeer-Original Gravity-Good Karma-Mission Creek Brewing (Whole Foods) corridor, but that might be close to saturated and would make many tasting rooms seem like overkill.

Also, I suspect that many of the breweries aren't quite at that production point where a secondary tasting room (ala Rip Current, Modern Times in North Park) seems necessary.

This collab with Alpine is pretty damn good.
EpND13J.jpg

And available for fills. Yea!

I know Pat recently did a collaboration with Device in Sacramento. When I met him in Portland he told me he had just gotten back from Vermont for the HF collab. I don't remember what other collabs Alpine has done (besides GF) but I know there's been others.

I know Pat recently did a collaboration with Device in Sacramento. When I met him in Portland he told me he had just gotten back from Vermont for the HF collab. I don't remember what other collabs Alpine has done (besides GF) but I know there's been others.

They recently did one with Abnormal Beer in San Diego, but I'm pretty sure that was Shawn.

Anyone headed to try Pulp Free? Report back!

Pulp Free was fantastic! By far their best [solo] IPA thus far in my opinion. Can't wait to see it in Double IPA form. I can see them competing with Tree House if they get this dialed in and ramped up!

Last edited:
Did a Growler last night. Good stuff, not my favorite release by them to be honest, but I will happily grab another fill tomorrow.

Pulp Free was super good. Lighter on the tongue than CM's New England style IPA, but good balance of juicy and dank. Would love to see them do a DIPA in this vein. I dusted a crowler yesterday and sent another off to a buddy in NH. Will be interesting to get his take on it.

Last edited:
As some others have reported The Pulp free was great, really wish I had gotten more than just a crowler. Hopefully it's still on this weekend and I can get back for another fill.

Side note: I really dig the relaxed atmosphere at Fieldwork too, it can be busy at times, but it's such a nice place to mellow out.

I'd love to go more often but it's a bit of a pain without a car. Totally off the BART track, and even the bus stop is a few blocks away (and takes half an hour from downtown).

Stupid busy for opening time. My growler fills are about 8th in line and i'm working so i can't even drink while I wait.

I'd love to go more often but it's a bit of a pain without a car. Totally off the BART track, and even the bus stop is a few blocks away (and takes half an hour from downtown).
Do you have a bike? It looks about as far from North Berkeley as Rare Barrel is from Ashby, and I did that ride a bunch of times, took like 5-10 minutes.

Latest posts

Back