FIB War Room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And from Revolution:
Working Mom, a version of our Winter Woman imperial brown ale aged in Woodford Reserve and Appleton Estate barrels.

I think I liked Winter Woman (or I might be confusing it with Working Woman?) -- not sure about the rum barrels and I continue to think that Woodford Reserve barrels are not so good but, being a super fan, I guess I'll try this one anyway...

Why is that? For reference: every bourbon barrel-aged beer from Rev has used Woodford Reserve. Same goes for Three Floyds, with the exception of the PVW Dark Lord from 2011.

Just sayin'.

Why is that? For reference: every bourbon barrel-aged beer from Rev has used Woodford Reserve. Same goes for Three Floyds, with the exception of the PVW Dark Lord from 2011.

Just sayin'.
(emphasis mine)
For my taste, and as much as I do enjoy many/most of Rev's barrel-aged releases, I find them to consistently have a really hot, almost unpleasant nose. Don't get me wrong -- I want my barrel-aged beers to have lots of barrel character but I find that Rev's beers come off as particularly one-note (and a harsh one note, at that), especially up front. I guess I just want... a 'rounder', but still barrel-forward, flavor?

Hell, maybe it's not the barrels at all (and while I haven't had too many of FFF's barrel-aged beers, I can't say I have ever noticed the same super-hot/boozy notes with them) -- the A/C system in the tap room was installed primarily for the barrels' benefit, after all, rather than for the comfort of guests.

Then again, I like to complain about everything.

In case anyone wants more information on what went into making Halia and Gillian, here are some articles!
http://www.timeoutchicago.com/restaurants-bars/16467481/drink-this-now-goose-island’s-halia-sour-peach-saison-beer-review
http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleade...ands-gillian-can-a-30-dollar-beer-be-worth-it

ETA: Not surprised that Sofie is the base for Halia. That beer is amazing. I'd love to see more Scarlett. Anyone know offhand which beers also use Sofie as the base?
Its not the base beer per say. Its technically not even the same recipe.

Hey, lurchingbeast, when is your buddy gonna hook us up with Cook County Stout?
Don't know. Especially since they always refer to it as "brewing Bourbon County" instead of cook county. You've probably said the words Cook County Stout more than the brewing staff over the last year.

The spent grains smell amazing, BTW.

ZOMG!!!!1!!!

Hand bottling another beer in honor of our 25th Anniversary--next up: Brettanomite!! Sour wheat aged in oak barrels with Brettanomyces, Lambicus, Bruxellensis and Lactobacillus (6.3%). Stay tuned for more details on its release!

2fa5454e3d9d11e3a73f22000a9e28ad_8.jpg

ZOMG!!!!1!!!

Hand bottling another beer in honor of our 25th Anniversary--next up: Brettanomite!! Sour wheat aged in oak barrels with Brettanomyces, Lambicus, Bruxellensis and Lactobacillus (6.3%). Stay tuned for more details on its release!

2fa5454e3d9d11e3a73f22000a9e28ad_8.jpg

That sounds quite tasty. So this will be the fourth release then?

Figured this was the place to ask, but have you FIBs set the market value for the BCBS variants yet? I need to figure out where I need to drive to get something on the acceptable beers list. Thanks I will hang up and listen.

Figured this was the place to ask, but have you FIBs set the market value for the BCBS variants yet? I need to figure out where I need to drive to get something on the acceptable beers list. Thanks I will hang up and listen.
Do you live near any breweries that release sours only through lotteries or other weird means?

BXrX8CbCYAAm4cJ.jpg

Half Acre Chub Step is back this Friday.
  • 22 oz. bomber bottle: $6.99
  • 64 oz. growler refill: $15
  • 32 oz. growler refill: $8
  • 16 oz. draft: $5

Adam posted this on the "other site"...

---

Yep, it's that time of year again!

Join us at Binny's Lincoln Park for Black Friday, November 29th. Doors open at 9am. We'll be releasing the 2013 batch of Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout, along with this year's variants: Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout, Bourbon County Brand Barleywine, & Proprietor's Reserve.

In addition, we'll be pulling some limited beer out of the cellar including Rare, King Henry, Cherry Rye, and others. Like last year, you'll get a number when you show up (no purchase necessary) and, if your number is pulled, you'll have the option to purchase the beer.

Intelligentsia will be on hand pouring coffee in the morning, and they'll be some other line perks for those that brave the cold.

See you then!

Adam posted this on the "other site"...

---

Yep, it's that time of year again!

Join us at Binny's Lincoln Park for Black Friday, November 29th. Doors open at 9am. We'll be releasing the 2013 batch of Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout, along with this year's variants: Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout, Bourbon County Brand Barleywine, & Proprietor's Reserve.

In addition, we'll be pulling some limited beer out of the cellar including Rare, King Henry, Cherry Rye, and others. Like last year, you'll get a number when you show up (no purchase necessary) and, if your number is pulled, you'll have the option to purchase the beer.

Intelligentsia will be on hand pouring coffee in the morning, and they'll be some other line perks for those that brave the cold.

See you then!
It's probably fair to say that if anyone really wants the variants -- and even allowing for the assumption that if any one store will get a larger allotment, it would be this one -- it would behoove someone to stay the hell away from this location and camp out at/visit other Binnys/Whole Foods/etc., correct? Because that's what I'll be doing.

I've never gone to Black Friday before but I plan to now. Was it only the "cellar" beers ticketed? If I get in line early and not automatically have the option to buy Proprietor's I'd be pissed off.

I've never gone to Black Friday before but I plan to now. Was it only the "cellar" beers ticketed? If I get in line early and not automatically have the option to buy Proprietor's I'd be pissed off.
If I remember correctly from last year, there was enough regular BCBS to go around and there were a few cases of Coffee that didn't survive the first ~50 people in line -- but, to address what you're saying, Cherry Rye was held for the raffle and even then, only 12 bottles were up for grabs via said raffle.

That sounds right. There was like 5 or 6 cases of Coffee given out to the first people in line. Cherry was held back as part of the lottery. So if that holds the same, it's likely that the Coconut wouldn't be first come first serve and be held as part of the lottery.

If I remember correctly from last year, there was enough regular BCBS to go around and there were a few cases of Coffee that didn't survive the first ~50 people in line -- but, to address what you're saying, Cherry Rye was held for the raffle and even then, only 12 bottles were up for grabs via said raffle.

This is correct. They raffled off opportunity to buy everything from older vintages of nightstalker, bcbs mixed vintage 4 pks to rare and king henry along with cherry rye and others. Prices were all adjusted on vintages. Can't remember what everything was being priced at.

Also, Adam replaced all raffle numbers once he pulled them so you had an equal shot at every beer, regardless if it was the first or last. Beers were selected and then numbers pulled -- so if your number was chosen, you weren't able to pick from what was left (like how he ran the first cellar sale).

Of course, he might do things differently this year. But until I hear otherwise, and along the lines of what thewimperoo is saying, I will not assume I'd get a bottle of Coconut even if I get in line later tonight.

Vav just confirmed that 2013 variants will be first come first serve. Lottery will be for cellared items only.
Also, "... and there will be line perks."

Interestingly, regarding Backyard Bramble Rye: "I'm banking on it not being here, but then, i said the same thing about Cherry Rye last year."

Latest posts

Back