FIB War Room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll be drinking Coconut Rye tomorrow night sometime if you'll be in the far far south suburbs.

AfubPGw.gif

I thought Game of Jones (imperial jones dog) was fantastic. Can anyone who's had both Game of Jones and Imperial Hyper Dog speak to how much difference the coffee makes between the two?

For my tastes, the coffee makes it. I like Game of Jones, but the coffee puts Imperial Hyper Dog at another level. I like coffee forward beers though.

I have nothing to base this on, but I think there will be a ton of coffee going to the 4 packs. Not as much as bcbs but I don't see it being hard to come by around here. I could see almost everything from GI this year being around $25, 4 packs and bombers. But I could be way off?

I'm hoping for $25-26 as the standard price. However, I expect most retailers to break them up and sell singles for $10-$13 each.
Anyone that would buy single bottles is a sucker! Come downtown in December and you will be able to get it by the case. Guessing +/- 500 cases between SL, Grand, and Vav Binny's alone.

I have nothing to base this on, but I think there will be a ton of coffee going to the 4 packs. Not as much as bcbs but I don't see it being hard to come by around here. I could see almost everything from GI this year being around $25, 4 packs and bombers. But I could be way off?
There is a ****load of coffee this year. More than last year.

The x factor this year is the new markets. Hopefully they all get ****ed.

Speaking of pipeworks. This guy was seen working the booth last night at the Chicago Craft Beerfest. For what it was, it was actually a good time.

Speaking of pipeworks. This guy was seen working the booth last night at the Chicago Craft Beerfest. For what it was, it was actually a good time.

Speaking of that guy ... any word on Off Color bottles coming out? I know I saw some labels floating around a while back.

Is Off Color going to even make it that long? You never hear anything about them and not much love for their beers either.

Yeah, but I just don't hear much on the interwebs about them. It's somewhat like Solemn Oath I guess, and maybe it's just because their both draft only right now?

I would say it's more about the styles of beer brewed than the distribution method. When was the last time you saw the beer community **** their collective pants over a gose or altbier? Those aren't "sexy" styles of beer.

I like that they are making a lot of flavorful session beers--it's great for lunch during work when you don't want to come back to the office trashed. Their gose is the only gose I've ever had, but I though it was good.

Operations like Off Color and Solemn Oath immediately get some appreciation from me because they're pretty easy to find on draft and did not go down the "we'll release lots of expensive bombers and hope we make enough money someday to package beer in a more efficient manner" (I know, dead horse, etc.).

Also, I opened up my bottle of Halia. I will agree with lurchingbeast that it's a damn fine Belgian beer. If they were able to package it in 4-packs throughout the year, I would be very happy. But I couldn't taste any peaches and, for me, it's not quite worth it at the current price to pick up more. It's also murky/cloudy as hell (which I was fine with - but I can see how others may not agree).

But going back to Laffler, I bought a bottle of whiskey from West Lakeview Liquors (single-barrel 12yr Elijah Craig - it's incredible, go buy some) on Saturday that he totally had a hand in picking. His name is on the label and everything. So, like, it immediately tastes more rare.

I would say it's more about the styles of beer brewed than the distribution method. When was the last time you saw the beer community **** their collective pants over a gose or altbier? Those aren't "sexy" styles of beer.

I strangely get switched on by a good altbier, especially around Christmas

As for Halia, I dipped into a bottle on Friday and thought it was fantastic. I got a ton of peach in it personally.

I bought a couple of bombers of Begyle (IPA & Wheat Pale Ale) a while back and they were mediocre and boring. The one Spiteful beer (porter) I bought was fine, but nothing worth buying again.

I've had Spiteful GFY (first batch, ok, wouldn't buy again) and Bitter Biker (first batch, vegetal, turned me off from all their beer) and some undercarbed porter from Begyle. I bought Spiteful Alley Time on a wimb because I like cans and I'd definitely buy it again in 12oz format. I still won't buy any of their bombers though. Its the one part of the beer aisle that I always just walk right past.

I've had Spiteful GFY (first batch, ok, wouldn't buy again) and Bitter Biker (first batch, vegetal, turned me off from all their beer) and some undercarbed porter from Begyle.

I had the same experience with first batch of Bitter Biker. I've had it since and it was good, but apparently not good enough for me to buy again...

Penrose hasn't been on tap anywhere, right? Or did they brew with someone for some event? Either way, I'm also excited to see their beer.
http://beerpulse.com/2013/10/penros...windy-city-for-chicagoland-distribution-1654/
They have had a couple beers at bars, but I think only a few times. More pilot batches I think than anything on their homebrew systems, not the 40 barrel brewhouse. The tap room is supposedly planned to open by Thanksgiving, but we all know how that goes (cough....Lagunitas!).

And from Revolution:
Working Mom, a version of our Winter Woman imperial brown ale aged in Woodford Reserve and Appleton Estate barrels.

I think I liked Winter Woman (or I might be confusing it with Working Woman?) -- not sure about the rum barrels and I continue to think that Woodford Reserve barrels are not so good but, being a super fan, I guess I'll try this one anyway...

Also, the Goose Island brewpub is doing something special tomorrow:
1000008_10151723729437304_350435235_n.png

In honor of Goose Island Beer Co's Wild Ale releases, our chefs have put together something special to pair with these ladies of the fall. Join us for 4oz tastes of Gillian, Halia, Juliet and Lolita and bite sized pairings. No advanced reservation is required but quanitites are limited.

Juliet
Goat cheese en croute with a preserved blackberry

Halia
House made salami, peach mostarda, baby greens

Gillian
Honey funnel cakes with pickled strawberries

Lolita
Chinese five-spice shortbread, cream, raspberry preserves

I don't think $30 is a terrible price for the food and beer -- and the dishes seem like something the kitchen could pull off. On the other hand, it might be more fun to just buy a bottle of Gillian and MarkIntihar it up on your own (did I say that right? I really have no idea).

And from Revolution:
Working Mom, a version of our Winter Woman imperial brown ale aged in Woodford Reserve and Appleton Estate barrels.

I think I liked Winter Woman (or I might be confusing it with Working Woman?) -- not sure about the rum barrels and I continue to think that Woodford Reserve barrels are not so good but, being a super fan, I guess I'll try this one anyway...

I think that sounds awesome

Are there any other beers that have blended different barrels like that? I can't think of one off the top of my head. I think it would be pretty unique....

Latest posts

Back