FG too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickle79

Reaction score
I brewed an Oktoberfest 7 days ago that started off with an OG of 1.040 (which I know is a little light for an Oktoberfest). I just checked it and it's at 1.020. The taste was pretty good but I'm worried that it didn't ferment all the way. I noticed that it was only actively fermenting at most for a day and a half. Should I think about repitching since I'm still in my primary?

I'd wait another week and check the gravity again. it's probably only gonna get to about 1.014 or so.

Welcome to the forum!

7 Days is really early to start worrying about a stuck fermentation. If it's a true O'fest meaning you used lager yeast then fermentation will take several weeks to complete.

To give you are more detailed answer we would need to know how you brewed it (all extract/partial mash/all grain) and if you did brew all grain what were your mash temps?

BTW 1.020 is that far off from what a finished O'fest should be. Just give it some more time and I'm sure it will turn out great.

Thanks everyone for the replies. A week ago it started to actively ferment again for a day. I checked my gravity on Monday and it dropped to 1.011 which is around where it's supposed to be. Just bottled it on Wednesday so know it's time to wait!

Back