Strange particle floaty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermanbelly

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I have these strange cluster of particles that form at the top of my primary fermenting cider.

I noticed the particles at 2 week mark and see more form as days go by (almost at 3rd week point)

These particles are strange because they do disapate when lightly shaken and seem to settle down; but always seem to form at top when I check.

Have anyone run into the same problem? I'm wondering if this has gone bad...I did give it a tate and it didn't taste like vinegar..and I'm still alive...

Attachments

• 20231025_164112.jpg
    20231025_164112.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Oh yeah first time. Thank you for your help! I been trying to look for any similar problem but it wasn't a problem at all...make sense I couldn't find it.
No problem, it's what we do around here. That, and make random drunken posts.
Come for the info, stay for the party.

Welcome to HBT!

Wait, are these particles the only activity you've seen in two weeks?
No, there was alot of bubble actions in the first week and a half. It was still after, till i noticed the yeast raft at week 2 mark. It's still forms reaching week 3. I think ill check the sg and try to rack it without the yeast raft.

Skull crawlers. Don't drink them they latch onto your brain stem and make you do weird things like Limbo.
Don't ask me how I know that.

No, there was alot of bubble actions in the first week and a half. It was still after, till i noticed the yeast raft at week 2 mark. It's still forms reaching week 3. I think ill check the sg and try to rack it without the yeast raft.
Let us know your progress. If possible still, try getting a photo that is more in focus. Possibly the floating bits are a pellicle, which isn't dangerous. Someone might be able to identify if the photo is clear.

It would also be interesting to know the ingredients, your recipe, and sanitizing process.

Little update at week 3. There are fewer floaties than before. Looking at the floaties carefully, it's a cluster of round shaped particles. They always decipate when shaken lightly so I couldn't really take good photos.

I think what I will do is rack it tonight and let it age for a month or two. If the floaties persist than, I think something else is up.

I hope not tho, it smells good :)

This was my first cider so nothing fancy was done to it. Used organic santa cruz apple juice, k1-v1116 yeast, and fermaido. Everything was sanitized in one step. One thing I did that was not part of the plan was adding pectic enzymes at day 7 because I was worried about clarity.

Attachments

• 20231028_090135.jpg
    20231028_090135.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231028_090047.jpg
    20231028_090047.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Used organic santa cruz apple juice, k1-v1116 yeast, and fermaido.
I've made a simple cider a couple of times with Safeway store brand apple juice and EC-1118 yeast. It came out clear. I bottled it after one month using frozen concentrated apple juice to slightly carbonate during bottle conditioning. Carbonation of Cider in Beer Bottles

It's easy; I should make it again. A couple of years ago I made 3-gallon batch.

Latest posts

Back