Few questions, missing OG by a few points and multiple brews in a day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tag0304

Reaction score
Ok yesterday I was planning on doing 3 separate batches but only got 2 done before some bad weather put an end to me. I had been doing extract only before this and this day did extract with specialty grain (steeping) brews. Slowly building up to all grain. Few questions...

1.) Those of you that do multiple brews in a row on 1 day whats your cleaning/sanitizing routine. I rinsed and cleaned out everything pre-boil good as to not get any gunk transferred into the next batch. Everything post boil was rinsed and sanitized immediately once done. I didnt hit anything with oxyclean though, just a good rinsing then star-san. Should I have really soaked everything in oxy between batches still like I do at the end of brew day?

2.)The recipes I have done are from my local store. They are written out as a partial boil. I have preferred doing full boil. After one of my last batches coming out tasting rather hoppy (not bad) I discovered that you need to adjust hop amounts between full and partial boils. Needing to use less on a full boil. I figured out how to calculate this in beersmith and these 2 batches this day used the correct amounts ( about 20-25% less). The directions call for steeping in 2.5 gallons, then boiling and adding extract etc and continuing for the 60 minutes. Then topping off in carboy to get 5 gallons. I steeped in the 2.5 gallons then added to my normal full boil amount and did a full boil. First batch I ended up a little above my 5 gallon end amount. Second I hit the 5 gallon amount after adjusting added amount of water. Both were off by about .04 points lower in the OG after adjusting for temp in beersmith. First batch I could understand because of ending up with about 5.5 -5.75 gallons in carboy. Is something else throwing this off with changing the recipe from partial to full boil? I know the .04 is nominal but just wondering.

1) If you're talking about things like the thermometer and stirring spoon, I don't see any difference from doing one batch - I use them, rinse, soak in Star San, and re-use.
2) Some brewers these days say the hop utilization with extract is not affected by boil gravity because of very little hot break material. From tasting my beer, I believe it is affected. Also, I can see plenty of hot break during the boil. So I agree with your idea of reducing hops for a full boil - JMO.

I'm assuming your SG is off by 0.004. I don't know any reason for this - maybe just measurement error, but that seems like a lot. Sorry - I really can't help on that one.

Yeah correction, reading was off by .004 and other was .003.

Normally I used to take sample out of primary once transferred over. This time I just took sample while in middle of transfer by pinching auto syphone tube off and filling sample container. Not sure if that would effect it or not, should all be mixed up as Im not adding top off water.

Yes, with a full boil and no top-off water, your gravity sample should be good. Grasping at straws, some possibilities are hydrometer out of calibration (the paper scale has been known to slip inside the glass tube), volume markings on the fermenter being off (not uncommon for plastic buckets), or not getting all the extract out of the container.

Edit: maybe leaving trub in the kettle - that would account for difference in volume.

I guess the hydrometer could be off, have a refractometer and usually use both but seemed to have misplaced it somewhere and could not find it. I have all my fermenters marked myself and while they are not probably scientifically exact they are real close. Was just a little bit left in extract containers walls. Was really not much left in kettle.

Not worried that its not going to turn out good. Most things I have read state a few points is not a big deal and will not effect flavor. Most kits even skip showing an exact gravity reading but rather a range, probably to calm nerves of us new brewers when things are not "Exact". One recipe called for 1.044 and came out 1.041, other was 1.046 and came out 1.042.

I was more concerned going forward if there is something different with recipe calling for 2.5 gallon boil then adding water in carboy and changing it to a full boil without modifying anything else. Same as I discovered I needed to change hop utilization.

I was more concerned going forward if there is something different with recipe calling for 2.5 gallon boil then adding water in carboy and changing it to a full boil without modifying anything else.

No worries. The sugar is in the wort whether you do a full or partial boil. But either way, leaving trub in the kettle will affect the volume (notice my edit above).

Back