FerMonster™ PET Fermenter Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tieflyer

Reaction score
I just purchased this 7 gallon fermeter at my local homebrew shop(gotta shop locally for freshness), and maybe I am just bad at these things, but it comes with a rubble gasket which you are required to put into a round slot in the lid. There are provide two links to videos on the manufacturers website (http://thevintageshop.ca/products/fermonster.html) on how to install the gasket.

I have spent a few frustrated hours trying to install this gasket. I always end up with a half inch(give or take) bubble of gasket left over. I took the lid and the gasket to my homebrew shop where I purchased it and they cannot install it. Has anyone else had this issue?
ring1.jpg

I had similar issues, I put the gasket in the freezer for a few hours to contract a bit, then re-installed w no problems.

Do they have another Fermonster with a correctly fitting gasket? This looks indeed a little too large.
Any specs? Contact the manufacturer?
But your brewshop should solve the problem, they sold it to you.

Now you can ferment with it leaving the gasket out, but you won't be able to return it (used) if need be. Warranty BS, etc.

I had the same problem when I first tried to install the gasket. I ended up putting the gasket in the freezer for about an hour or so to shrink it. After I took it out ( no, it wasn't frozen), it went in perfectly.

Good luck.

thanks for the reply's!

will try freezer tonight, sure can't hurt. Local brew shop where I bought it couldn't put it in last night. They called distributor and he said it is a common problem but to keep trying.

Do they have another Fermonster with a correctly fitting gasket? This looks indeed a little too large.
Any specs? Contact the manufacturer?
But your brewshop should solve the problem, they sold it to you.

Now you can ferment with it leaving the gasket out, but you won't be able to return it (used) if need be. Warranty BS, etc.
I contacted the manufacturer and they said that is the correct size to follow videos and keep trying. Not sure if I would buy one again, will try freezer and if that works then I will think about buying one again. Really don't want to ferment without gasket, afraid it will leak and ruin my so-so beer.

I have some bucket lid gaskets that do the same thing. I think we inadvertently stretch them a bit when reseating them in the groove. But the extra 1/2" in a bucket lid is easier to disperse than in an 6" (?) lid.

I contacted the manufacturer and they said that is the correct size to follow videos and keep trying. Not sure if I would buy one again, will try freezer and if that works then I will think about buying one again. Really don't want to ferment without gasket, afraid it will leak and ruin my so-so beer.

That's a pretty lame excuse from them. That o-ring looks way too long. Do those vids show a special technique to seat them?

Most bucket lids have no rubber seals and leak some air. But thousands of us use them everyday successfully for fermenting beer. :tank:

Last edited:
I love my Fermonster. I know it seems like it won't fit, but it should. The problem is you are starting in one spot and working your way around, and it is stretching the o-ring. I do it by pushing the o-ring in on 4 quadrants. Then half each of those quadrants. Then work the o-ring in alternating sections. It should go in that way.

Hope that helps.

I have three Fermonsters. The gasket is the right size and will fit. Go around the circle in a star pattern, and push the gasket into the groove. There are some youtube videos that show how to do it. I use a spoon handle to push it into the groove.

I ruined the gasket on my first one and wound up buying another one after watching the video on how to do it. I had exactly the same thought as you though, so no worries, it happens.

Back