fermetation overflow question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLM

Reaction score
I made a barley wine that started at 1.124 pitched 4 packs s-04 in a 6.5 gal primary bucket took off good but after 12 hours its going all over the place no big just put towels around it. my question is it going to loose alot of yeast and not finish out? I figured I lost at least a quart so far out the airlock.
Is s-04 a top croper?

I wouldn't worry about losing yeast. You're losing wort too so it should stay roughly the same ratio of yeast to wort.

This same thing actually happened to me tonight :) Brewed a dunkelweizen yesterday and put a little too much in the carboy. Seemed ok when I left for work but when I got home the frickin airlock had blown clear off the carboy. Had to rig up a blowoff tube for the first time. Good thing I ferment inside a chest freezer, if this happened in my closet or something I'd be dead meat with SWMBO.

BLM, you'll be just fine, the yeast in suspension in the wort is plenty to finish the job. In the future try doing a search for "blowoff tube". That's what you need to use... keeps the mess down. I use a bot on every beer, if I'm expecting blow off or not. It's just easier than cleaning up after the fact.

well I lost about 1.5 quarts or so of wort no big ,but now it slowed down to ten seconds or so bubbles in the airlock and there is no krausen so I checked the gravity in 36 hours it went from 1.124 to 1.048 the only thing I am worried about now is it going to finnish to about 1.030. I have never used
s-04 before

God DAMN that is a high OG :mug: I'd wait longer than 36 hours but toward the end of fermentation you could start letting the temp creep up a degree or two a day (if you have temp control) and shaking the carboy to get the yeast back in suspension.

God DAMN that is a high OG :mug: I'd wait longer than 36 hours but toward the end of fermentation you could start letting the temp creep up a degree or two a day (if you have temp control) and shaking the carboy to get the yeast back in suspension.

I dont have temp control.I know that the s-04 yeast has high flocculation I just hope it does not poop out on me oh and the high OG its a barleywine :tank:

I wouldn't worry about losing yeast. You're losing wort too so it should stay roughly the same ratio of yeast to wort.

This same thing actually happened to me tonight :) Brewed a dunkelweizen yesterday and put a little too much in the carboy. Seemed ok when I left for work but when I got home the frickin airlock had blown clear off the carboy. Had to rig up a blowoff tube for the first time. Good thing I ferment inside a chest freezer, if this happened in my closet or something I'd be dead meat with SWMBO.

HAHA the same exsact thing happened to me. Same beer and first time using a blow off tube. What kind of yeast did you use? I used the Wyeast Weihnstephan. It was quiet then 10 hours later my airlock was cracked and spraying krausen every 5 seconds!

well its slowing down now no krausen on top and still at 1.048 dont think its going to get to even 1.040 .I will give it some time but any ideas if it doesnt drop?

S-04 floccs out pretty quickly, warm it up and gently rouse the yeast with a long sanitized spoon or something to get them moving again. If it doesn't drop anymore, then it's done.

S-04 floccs out pretty quickly, warm it up and gently rouse the yeast with a long sanitized spoon or something to get them moving again. If it doesn't drop anymore, then it's done.

the only way I can get it warmed up is a heating pad how should I do that?the heat in my house sucks I hope its not done thats going to be one sweet beer

A heating pad is fine. I'd just duct tape it to the carboy and shake it around every so often. That way you stir the wort around so it all gets heated and also wakes up the yeast that's already flocculated to the bottom.

Just don't go hog wild and raise the temp 20 degrees in one day. 5 should be plenty I think?

Latest posts

Back