Fermentrack: Fermentation monitoring & BrewPi-www Replacement for Raspberry Pi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which version of the firmware are you using? The latest one (v14)?

I am honestly not sure, but I update regularly. I think the most recent before docker support.

fwiw, 185°F (85°C) is what one receives if the ds18b20 isn't actually ready to send converted temperature data.
May indicate insufficient voltage to the sensor...

Cheers!

Interesting. The room temp sensor in on the same bus as the chamber and beer temps, and those have worked fine for years, and continue to work well. I will check the connections though.

@day_trippr has it on this one. There’s a long standing bug with the sensor reading routine that can cause an 85deg reading to be seen as valid. This should be fixed in v14 if you upgrade.

After this beer finishes I will update to the docker version. Perhaps that will solve my problem.

I am honestly not sure, but I update regularly. I think the most recent before docker support.

Interesting. The room temp sensor in on the same bus as the chamber and beer temps, and those have worked fine for years, and continue to work well. I will check the connections though.

After this beer finishes I will update to the docker version. Perhaps that will solve my problem.

Ah, I think I see the confusion -
Fermentrack and the BrewPi-ESP8266 firmware are completely independent — when you’re updating Fermentrack, it doesn’t update the firmware on your controller. The v14 beta update was released a few weeks ago and would have required you manually update. I’m guessing you’re almost certainly running v11 at the moment.

You can update your controller to v14 using either Fermentrack, BrewFlasher, or BrewFlasher Web Edition.

Ah, I think I see the confusion -
Fermentrack and the BrewPi-ESP8266 firmware are completely independent — when you’re updating Fermentrack, it doesn’t update the firmware on your controller. The v14 beta update was released a few weeks ago and would have required you manually update. I’m guessing you’re almost certainly running v11 at the moment.

You can update your controller to v14 using either Fermentrack, BrewFlasher, or BrewFlasher Web Edition.

Ahh I think there is even deeper confusion. I am running an Arduino Uno!

Hello all. I've been using Fermentrack (with a RPi and Uno, and Tilt connected) for five batches now. However, this is the first time I've run into issues. Has anyone seen these before and know what the issue may be? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • 4-5 times on the current batch, fermentrack is showing that it is cooling (during cold crashing), however the outlet to the fridge is not being turned on (you can see in chart below when this is occurring (the cooling duty is on for approximately 3 hours before i reset it). There is a gap with no cooling duty, which is when I unplugged the fridge from the outlet and plugged it in separately and allowed the fridge temp to drop on its own. This is the first time I've had any issues with the temperature controller out of five batches, and I did not execute differently from the previous batches. Wondering if this is an issue with fermentrack or is it also possible that my SSR is starting to malfunction?
  • The tilt hydrometer is sparsely connecting to fermentrack (hours to days without a data point connecting to fermentrack). However when I open the Tilt app on my phone I am receiving live data just fine.
1651580469228.png

Hello all. I've been using Fermentrack (with a RPi and Uno, and Tilt connected) for five batches now. However, this is the first time I've run into issues. Has anyone seen these before and know what the issue may be? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • 4-5 times on the current batch, fermentrack is showing that it is cooling (during cold crashing), however the outlet to the fridge is not being turned on (you can see in chart below when this is occurring (the cooling duty is on for approximately 3 hours before i reset it). There is a gap with no cooling duty, which is when I unplugged the fridge from the outlet and plugged it in separately and allowed the fridge temp to drop on its own. This is the first time I've had any issues with the temperature controller out of five batches, and I did not execute differently from the previous batches. Wondering if this is an issue with fermentrack or is it also possible that my SSR is starting to malfunction?
  • The tilt hydrometer is sparsely connecting to fermentrack (hours to days without a data point connecting to fermentrack). However when I open the Tilt app on my phone I am receiving live data just fine.
View attachment 767793
When you see this cooling behavior, what does the (physical) screen on your controller say?

How close is your Raspberry Pi to your Tilt?

Are you using the docker or non-docker version of Fermentrack?

When you see this cooling behavior, what does the (physical) screen on your controller say?

How close is your Raspberry Pi to your Tilt?

Are you using the docker or non-docker version of Fermentrack?
The screen states it is cooling, and when I look at the boards inside my control box, the correct light is turned on for cooling. However, there is no power going to the cooling outlet (as soon as I unplug the fridge and plug it into a wall outlet, it turns on). The RPi is right on top of the fridge, so probably about 1 to 2 feet away from the tilt. This is where I've left it for all five batches, and this is the first time I've had connectivity issues. I'm assuming I have the non-docker version of Fermentrack (since I'm not even sure what that means).

The screen states it is cooling, and when I look at the boards inside my control box, the correct light is turned on for cooling. However, there is no power going to the cooling outlet (as soon as I unplug the fridge and plug it into a wall outlet, it turns on).

Unfortunately, this sounds like a hardware issue with your relay. The light for cooling indicates that the controller/firmware is doing the right thing (sending a signal to the relay to cool) but the relay isn't actually closing the circuit.

Assuming that you are using one of the 2 channel relay boards (and aren't using heat, or can live without it for this part of the fermentation), my recommendation would be to swap your AC wiring over to the other relay channel on the board, and update the pin accordingly. If it starts working again (both the proper light on the relay board comes on and you get cooling) then replace the relay board.

The RPi is right on top of the fridge, so probably about 1 to 2 feet away from the tilt. This is where I've left it for all five batches, and this is the first time I've had connectivity issues. I'm assuming I have the non-docker version of Fermentrack (since I'm not even sure what that means).

OK. The radios on the Pis aren't the strongest, but that should be close enough to pick it up, unless you've got super thick stainless or something of that sort. Try restating the Pi.

You're right -- you probably aren't using the docker version at the moment. I'd recommend updating to the docker version when you get a chance, as updates are not going to be released much longer for the non-docker version. That said, I don't know if there is anything in the latest versions that would help with regards to your Tilt issues, so it may not make sense to update at the moment until your current ferment is complete.

I had fermentrack installed and running.
I unplugged the temperature sensors to put a heat shrink on them so that each had a different color, as to be able to identify them.
When I plugged them back in the device (ESP8266) became unresponsive and I rebooted the Pi, when I was rebooting it, it became unresponsive, I likely didn't wait long enough. I power cycled the Pi and after it rebooted, I couldn't get to the web interface, 404 page not found. I've rerun the install script and get

*** WARNING: Port 80 is currently in use.
::: You probably want to stop the installation here and either select a
::: new port or stop the service currently occupying port 80.
*** WARNING: Installation will continue with port 80 in 10 seconds unless you press Ctrl+C now.
*** ERROR: Port 6379 is required by Redis, but is currently in use. Installation cannot continue.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ error messages that port 80 is in use

Any ideas as to what I need to do?

Just started a new ferment after upgrade from non-docker to docker. Should add that I took the oportunity to change hardware and now using a Pi V3a that was gathering dust.

Very straightforward process, make backup, new install, restore from backup. Both controllers working, both iSpindels working.

Go @Thorrak :rock:

Wanted to switch over to the docker version and get off my pi zero. Figured I try to get it working on a laptop that is being used as a media server.

Trying to get fermentrack running on a windows 10 machine using hyper v and the x86 version of raspberry pi os. Running into the same issue as this post

The GitHub issue identifying this is closed. Noticed that everyone who got it working after the fix was using bullseye. Unfortunately the newest x86 version is only buster with the last update on Jan 11, 2021.

Am I out of luck until the x86 version is updated to bullseye?

Or is there sometime else I could try. Remember Thorrak mentioned somewhere that it's possible to run fermentrack on a windows machine without VM but would require doing something with python.

I'm pretty good at following guides but definitely couldn't figure this out on my own. Have never seen anyone ever post about doing it.

Wanted to switch over to the docker version and get off my pi zero. Figured I try to get it working on a laptop that is being used as a media server.

Trying to get fermentrack running on a windows 10 machine using hyper v and the x86 version of raspberry pi os. Running into the same issue as this post

The GitHub issue identifying this is closed. Noticed that everyone who got it working after the fix was using bullseye. Unfortunately the newest x86 version is only buster with the last update on Jan 11, 2021.

Am I out of luck until the x86 version is updated to bullseye?

Or is there sometime else I could try. Remember Thorrak mentioned somewhere that it's possible to run fermentrack on a windows machine without VM but would require doing something with python.

I'm pretty good at following guides but definitely couldn't figure this out on my own. Have never seen anyone ever post about doing it.
There are a bunch of options!

There is nothing special about Raspberry Pi OS - in fact, a large part of why I went to Docker is to get away from some of the environmental issues RPi OS updates bring with them. You can run Debian or Ubuntu in Hyper V — I have all the packages available for x86 and amd64 and have these environments as part of my build cluster, so support will continue into the future.

You also may be able to run Docker using Windows Subsystem for Linux. This is not a configuration I build for/test against, but if someone gets it running (I think it should be pretty easy, aside from Bluetooth support and some of the port mapping/firewall configuration) I can explore adding it to the list.

There are a bunch of options!

There is nothing special about Raspberry Pi OS - in fact, a large part of why I went to Docker is to get away from some of the environmental issues RPi OS updates bring with them. You can run Debian or Ubuntu in Hyper V — I have all the packages available for x86 and amd64 and have these environments as part of my build cluster, so support will continue into the future.

You also may be able to run Docker using Windows Subsystem for Linux. This is not a configuration I build for/test against, but if someone gets it running (I think it should be pretty easy, aside from Bluetooth support and some of the port mapping/firewall configuration) I can explore adding it to the list.
Finally got it working!

Tried Ubuntu and Debian and got same error. Figured it was probably something in the VM settings.

Since my linux and VM skills are rudimentary at best, took some digging but got it sorted. Needed to setup a virtual network adapter instead of using the default one.

Thanks for all your help and software that lets me pretend I know what I'm doing.

Hello

I installed Fermentrack on a RaspberryPi, and use a NodeMcu WeMos D1 Mini and 2 DS18B20 for controlling the temperatureof the room and in the fridge.
Everything is running smooth, the install script is awesome.
I use an iSpindel to read gravity and temperature in fermentrack, but I can't bind the Ispindel temperature to the beer temp in fermentrack, so I can't use beer contant control mode.

I miss something or it is not possible ?

Hello

I installed Fermentrack on a RaspberryPi, and use a NodeMcu WeMos D1 Mini and 2 DS18B20 for controlling the temperatureof the room and in the fridge.
Everything is running smooth, the install script is awesome.
I use an iSpindel to read gravity and temperature in fermentrack, but I can't bind the Ispindel temperature to the beer temp in fermentrack, so I can't use beer contant control mode.

I miss something or it is not possible ?
Don't believe it's possible. Remember reading something about it not sending data quick enough. Think the only wireless method is using the Tilt Pro.

Seem to have run into an issue with restoring my backup from the pi.

Everthing (1 ESP8266 BrewPi with 2 temp sensors and 2 iSpindels) shows up properly in the new fermentrack but not getting any readings from the iSpindels nor can I control the Brewpi.

The lcd screen on the main page is correct and updates the temps properly but does not trigger cool or heat when I change the temperature. The sensors/pins are configured exactly as they were on the pi.

The Ispindels appear and I can enter the manage section but no data appears in the "Extra Data from Device" section.

Even deleted everything from the pi fermentrack and shutdown the pi.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Seem to have run into an issue with restoring my backup from the pi.

Everthing (1 ESP8266 BrewPi with 2 temp sensors and 2 iSpindels) shows up properly in the new fermentrack but not getting any readings from the iSpindels nor can I control the Brewpi.

The lcd screen on the main page is correct and updates the temps properly but does not trigger cool or heat when I change the temperature. The sensors/pins are configured exactly as they were on the pi.

The Ispindels appear and I can enter the manage section but no data appears in the "Extra Data from Device" section.

Even deleted everything from the pi fermentrack and shutdown the pi.

Any suggestions?
Does anything at all change on the LCD when you change the temperature? It should show the “mode” — does that change? Can you set the controller to “off”?

For the iSpindels, you will likely need to reconfigure the iSpindels themselves to point to the new Fermentrack installation. I’m guessing they’re still trying to send data to the old install.

Does anything at all change on the LCD when you change the temperature? It should show the “mode” — does that change? Can you set the controller to “off”?

For the iSpindels, you will likely need to reconfigure the iSpindels themselves to point to the new Fermentrack installation. I’m guessing they’re still trying to send data to the old install.
Appears to be working now. Definitely wasn't working initially. Thought just shutting the pi down would be sufficient. Maybe going back and deleting everything from pi did it.

Configured the iSpindels again and they are good too. Been so long since I set them up that forgot you have to point them to right address, duh!

Sorry bout that. Thanks again.

Hi,

I'm a long time lurker/user of fermentrack and it has been sat on a pi0w for a couple of years with no issues,

Prior to starting a new brew, I wanted to migrate to a docker install so started an update from the web interface to the version with backup capability, but now after the update I only get a 502 error when trying to connect.

As I was going to nuke this install anyway I was wondering if A. it's possible and B. the correct way to manually execute the backup scripts I can see in the fermentrack/backups/management folder via the command line?

Thanks

I have to move my fermentrack install from one pi to another. Is this the process?
  1. Backup current fermentrack setup (via button in settings
  2. Install fermentrack on other pi
  3. Restore backup
  4. Attach arduino to new pi (in my case)

Is that it. Seems too simple.

That worked as advertised! I had to update the target URL on my tiltbridge1 once it moved since the name changed.

Hello @Thorrak and everyone. First, my usual disclaimer, I'm a total Linux idiot. Only with the amazing help here have I managed to keep my setup running as long as I have. That said, I have come across a new issue where my Tilt is no longer communicating as of the last apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, along with the latest Fermentrack version. Also, the brew-pi script seems much less stable than before.

93FC039F-74DA-44FA-8081-E63B703CBB3E.png
I have found that Fermentrack is missing Python capability flags. It gives me a terminal line sudo setcap to fix the issue, but as it turns out, I have Python 2.7.xx instead of 3.9 as the command calls for, so it fails. Do I need to move to a 3.x version of Python and if so, what is involved while maintaining my Fermentrack setup? Or is there something completely else I can do? I happen to be in the middle of a brew and the issues are problematic. Thanks in advance.

Trying to install docker version, but script won't run because fermentrack and redis are running:

What port would you like to access Fermentrack on? [80]:
*** WARNING: Port 80 is currently in use.
::: You probably want to stop the installation here and either select a
::: new port or stop the service currently occupying port 80.
*** WARNING: Installation will continue with port 80 in 10 seconds unless you press Ctrl+C now.
*** ERROR: Port 6379 is required by Redis, but is currently in use. Installation cannot continue.

Hi,

I'm a long time lurker/user of fermentrack and it has been sat on a pi0w for a couple of years with no issues,

Prior to starting a new brew, I wanted to migrate to a docker install so started an update from the web interface to the version with backup capability, but now after the update I only get a 502 error when trying to connect.

As I was going to nuke this install anyway I was wondering if A. it's possible and B. the correct way to manually execute the backup scripts I can see in the fermentrack/backups/management folder via the command line?

Thanks

Hi All,

I'm still struggling with this, is it even possible?

Alternatively I have copied out the db.sqlite3 file, is it possible to get the required info out of this?

Thanks

Hey,

First off, absolutely amazing work. I've been using Fementrack + brewpi-esp8266 for a long time, but I'm just now really starting to get my hands dirty (this is my first post 🙃)!

I've been keeping up with the experiential builds of the esp32 build and currently have it flashed -- I'm especially excited to test out the Kasa smartplug feature and using a tilt device as a temp probe (I know it isn't as accurate, but still would be nice to have!).

I noticed a 'v14' branch of Fermentrack which I'm assuming lines up with the v14 experimental release of the ESP controller?

Anyways, I'm happy to dig through the code myself, but figured it was much easier to ask: is there currently a beta fermentrack build that allows interfacing with the new v14 of the esp32 and configuring of the new features? Or do I need to use the v14 experimental esp32 in a 'stand alone' type of mode?

I'm hoping to be able to contribute to your projects as well as the KegCop project soon; you and LBussy are truly amazing!

Hey,

First off, absolutely amazing work. I've been using Fementrack + brewpi-esp8266 for a long time, but I'm just now really starting to get my hands dirty (this is my first post 🙃)!

I've been keeping up with the experiential builds of the esp32 build and currently have it flashed -- I'm especially excited to test out the Kasa smartplug feature and using a tilt device as a temp probe (I know it isn't as accurate, but still would be nice to have!).

I noticed a 'v14' branch of Fermentrack which I'm assuming lines up with the v14 experimental release of the ESP controller?

Anyways, I'm happy to dig through the code myself, but figured it was much easier to ask: is there currently a beta fermentrack build that allows interfacing with the new v14 of the esp32 and configuring of the new features? Or do I need to use the v14 experimental esp32 in a 'stand alone' type of mode?

I'm hoping to be able to contribute to your projects as well as the KegCop project soon; you and LBussy are truly amazing!
To be fair, when I was testing with the Tilt Pro + Kasa smartplug vs. a thermowell in the middle of my beer, the Tilt was very consistently 0.5 F higher than the thermowell. Given the consistency if someone wanted to take the time you could set a calibration offset in Fermentrack and probably eliminate the difference.

You are correct -- the v14 branch lines up with the v14 firmware release, though what you really want is the "docker-dev" branch which is based on the v14 branch. This version contains significant changes to the stack, so you'll want to upgrade your container rather than switching branches from within the interface -- to do this, back up your data from within Fermentrack, then go to your fermentrack-tools directory and run the following:

Code:
./docker-update.sh -i docker-dev

Once that completes, you should be good to go!

Just started my build and of course got everything mounted up before coming to the conclusion my banggood Unos don't communicate. Bust out one of my old Unos and boom, fermentrack auto detects. Any idea if we can force something? I laid out my panel and wires the way I wanted and was hoping to not have to rip everything back out. My hands have dexterity issues after multiple surgeries.

Got a link to those clones?

Typically the issue is they don't use the original UNO's Atmega 16U2 programmed as a USB to Serial bridge chip, and instead use some version of CH34X bridge chip (CH340 or CH341). That may require installation of CH34X drivers, and may use a different device ID requiring a config.cfg file edit to change the "port" that BrewPi will use to talk to the clone...

Cheers!

Got a link to those clones?

Typically the issue is they don't use the original UNO's Atmega 16U2 programmed as a USB to Serial bridge chip, and instead use some version of CH34X bridge chip (CH340 or CH341). That may require installation of CH34X drivers, and may use a different device ID requiring a config.cfg file edit to change the "port" that BrewPi will use to talk to the clone...

Cheers!
https://usa.banggood.com/UNO+WiFi-R...ca&a=1656448919.3228&akmClientCountry=America
I've updated drivers for the CH340 and tried burning a bootloader using Aruduino IDE. I can't even get a sketch to upload. Messed with dip switch configurations and still nothing. I'm not sure I'll be able to use these for anything at this point. Maybe the ESP portion will work.

My recommendation is the Lolin D32 pro, but you can also use the Lolin D32 depending on the screen type you are interested in.

I've got PCB designs that are pretty generic and accommodate both:
IMG_4258 Large.jpeg

The benefit to this PCB design is that it works with both the D32 and D32 pro, and supports both the old-school LCD2004 screens as well as either the D32 Pro TFT or a generic 320x240 TFT (using the ili9341 driver chip)

Separately, I haven't announced/released it yet, but I also have a port to the ESP32-S2 coming soon which provides a drop in replacement to existing ESP8266 builds:

IMG_4259 Large.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 2.58.43 PM.png

The advantage to the ESP32 (vs. other controllers) is that it supports every feature that I've built. The ESP32-S2 is intended as a more modern replacement to the ESP8266.

Separately, I haven't announced/released it yet, but I also have a port to the ESP32-S2 coming soon which provides a drop in replacement to existing ESP8266 builds:

View attachment 773426View attachment 773429

The advantage to the ESP32 (vs. other controllers) is that it supports every feature that I've built. The ESP32-S2 is intended as a more modern replacement to the ESP8266.
I was just trying to look through some content to find that blue PCB you posted a picture of. I'm ordering that D32 pro and just plan to start another build on top of the one that may get shelved.

I was just trying to look through some content to find that blue PCB you posted a picture of. I'm ordering that D32 pro and just plan to start another build on top of the one that may get shelved.
That's one of my latest board designs, and may actually not be posted yet. Let me check.

Back