Fermentrack: Fermentation monitoring & BrewPi-www Replacement for Raspberry Pi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

pdavidc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hoping I can get a little help or a push in the direction of a similar post I missed...

Have been running Fermentrack for a few years. Recently changed internet providers and thus wifi settings. I have updated the wifi on the pi and both esp8622 controllers. I use Fing and can see all three on my network. However, Fermentrack "Cannot receive LCD text from Controller/Script" for either controller. Both controllers are running and the temp sensors work fine (as seen on lcd screen)

I have started and restarted both the pi and controllers (in different orders as well) to no avail.

I have reflashed one of the controllers and it did not resolve the issue.

Debub of both connection shows "failed" on DNS Lookup Test and Connection Test. Although connection test is trying the ip from the old wifi. I don't know how to fix that.

Trying to install a new Device reports that I have no uninstalled mDNS devices and no found mDNS devices match any installed in Fermentrack.

The only thing I have not tried in deleting the controllers and seeing if I can then reinstall them.

Appreciate any help or direction to thread.

Dave

jjmak

Reaction score
I, too, have another of those dreaded "Cannot receive LCD text from Controller/Script" messages. Everything had been working fine for months, but had a power outage here today in Florida from Hurricane Nicole (Raspberry Pi is plugged into battery backup but guess lost juice at some point). I've been trying for hours to get Ardunio to speak to Pi, no luck. I can ssh into Pi. Any suggestions on commands to send to Arduino to reboot it?

Desmop

Reaction score
I, too, have another of those dreaded "Cannot receive LCD text from Controller/Script" messages. Everything had been working fine for months, but had a power outage here today in Florida from Hurricane Nicole (Raspberry Pi is plugged into battery backup but guess lost juice at some point). I've been trying for hours to get Ardunio to speak to Pi, no luck. I can ssh into Pi. Any suggestions on commands to send to Arduino to reboot it?
I would re-install Fermentrack, this solved the problem for me. SSH and enter the install command.

curl -L install.fermentrack.com | bash

Reaction score
Hello - hoping for some help here. Brand new user - I cannot for the life of me get any of my ispindel data to show in this screen.

If I configure my iSpindel to send MQTT, I can view that data fine - so I know the ispindel will connect to my network.

Any ideas?

Fermentrack is sitting on port 8890.

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 8.05.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 8.01.27 AM.png

Reaction score
Hello - hoping for some help here. Brand new user - I cannot for the life of me get any of my ispindel data to show in this screen.

If I configure my iSpindel to send MQTT, I can view that data fine - so I know the ispindel will connect to my network.

Any ideas?

Fermentrack is sitting on port 8890.
I am an idiot - you need the http:// when configuring the iSpindel Path/URI

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay - I have this running on my rPi, however I'd like to run via docker on my unraid server.

When running
Code:
docker pull jdbeeler/fermentrack
I get an error
Code:
/entrypoint: line 9: POSTGRES_USER: unbound variable

kdw2pd

Reaction score
Is there a way to change the port in the non-Docker Fermentrack installation? Trying to get Fermentrack set up on my 3a+, and the Docker installation doesn't seem to want to cooperate. When I run the semi-automated non_docker script, it installs fine, but doesn't give me the option to change the port like it did with the Docker version. I'd like to run Raspberry Pints on the same Pi if possible.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a way to change the port in the non-Docker Fermentrack installation? Trying to get Fermentrack set up on my 3a+, and the Docker installation doesn't seem to want to cooperate. When I run the semi-automated non_docker script, it installs fine, but doesn't give me the option to change the port like it did with the Docker version. I'd like to run Raspberry Pints on the same Pi if possible.
Thorrak is on vaca but I might be able to get you close.

Fermentrack runs on nginx, and your Pi is close enough to Ubunto to flow those instructions on this page:

The file /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default may not be the one it uses, check that sites-enabled directory for other files, it's possible Fermentrack is not using the default site.