Fermentrack: Fermentation monitoring & BrewPi-www Replacement for Raspberry Pi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
Ah, wrong file, here's what I hope is the right one. Am I right in guessing the upgrade didn't complete? Is there a way to trigger the update again?

Attachments

• upgrade.txt
    18.2 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@Thorrak Ermmm, I just did the update from within Fermentrack and it's not come back up. I can connect to the Pi (VNC) and look at the install.log and I see no errors reported, I'm assuming that's where I should look? The only issue I can see is the IP address reported at the end of the log file, it's the original address where Fermentrack was originally built, 192.168.1.13 but I moved it onto a different router 192.168.2.13 some months/year back and I'm sure I've done more than one Fermentrack update since then.
Not sure if this log file is from the upgrade or original install.

This log is from the original installation, which is why the IP address is the old one.

From looking at the logs, you appear to be using a non-docker install. What do you see in /home/fermentrack/fermentrack/log/upgrade.log ?

EDIT - You posted it while I was drafting a response! That's an interesting one. Give me a sec -- gotta figure out the best solution.

OP
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, wrong file, here's what I hope is the right one. Am I right in guessing the upgrade didn't complete? Is there a way to trigger the update again?

Try running these four commands, in this order, starting as user 'pi':

sudo cp /home/fermentrack/fermentrack/compose/production/django/pip.conf /etc/pip.conf
sudo su fermentrack
cd ~/fermentrack
utils/upgrade3.sh && exit

What I think happened is that - for some reason - your Pi momentarily couldn't access the central repository of precompiled Python packages, and failed to upgrade as a result. The first command supplements the central repository with one I built specifically for packages that my projects use, then the second, third, and fourth commands re-trigger the upgrade.

blmcga

Reaction score
I keep getting the bellow on my Rpi 3 B+ running Pi OS Lite (64 bit). Is fermentrack only 32 bit or am I doing something else wrong?

Pulling django (jdbeeler/fermentrack:latest)...
latest: Pulling from jdbeeler/fermentrack
ERROR: no matching manifest for linux/arm64/v8 in the manifest list entries

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
Try running these four commands, in this order,....
Took over an hour but success! Thank you! Everything appears to be as it was and I now get a message recommending an upgrade to docker version.

Phew, I need a drink, but it's way past my bed time.

OP
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I keep getting the bellow on my Rpi 3 B+ running Pi OS Lite (64 bit). Is fermentrack only 32 bit or am I doing something else wrong?

Pulling django (jdbeeler/fermentrack:latest)...
latest: Pulling from jdbeeler/fermentrack
ERROR: no matching manifest for linux/arm64/v8 in the manifest list entries

You are correct -- it is currently 32 bit only for Raspberry Pis.

I actually first started targeting 64 bit Raspberry Pi on a test branch earlier today -- If you're interested in being the beta tester, try installing Fermentrack again now. I just pushed an arm64/v8 version of dev to docker hub.

blmcga

Reaction score
You are correct -- it is currently 32 bit only for Raspberry Pis.

I actually first started targeting 64 bit Raspberry Pi on a test branch earlier today -- If you're interested in being the beta tester, try installing Fermentrack again now. I just pushed an arm64/v8 version of dev to docker hub.

Got fermentrack up & working on Dietpi 64bit, can't get the ESP8266 to connect though... I had issues getting it to connect with 32 bit but it did finally connect, so i don't think its on fermentracks side.

Last edited:

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
@Thorrak I've just done a backup of my non-docker installation and tried to restore it to my "new" Pi and I get the following error:

413 Request Entity Too Large

I've not done any other configuration of the new system and it has no controllers attached as yet.

OP
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got fermentrack up & working on Dietpi 64bit, can't get the ESP8266 to connect though... I had issues getting it to connect with 32 bit but it did finally connect, so i don't think its on fermentracks side.

What router do you have?

Try restarting your router, wait for your router to come up, then see if your controller connects the first time you power it on.

If it does, the issue is (unfortunately) completely unrelated to Fermentrack.

OP
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@Thorrak I've just done a backup of my non-docker installation and tried to restore it to my "new" Pi and I get the following error:

413 Request Entity Too Large

I've not done any other configuration of the new system and it has no controllers attached as yet.

When did you set up the “new” Pi?

Edit - and if you say “yesterday”, about what time yesterday. ;)

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
@Thorrak My new system can be reconfigured as required, it's not in use yet. Would a copy of my backup file help?

Attachments

• 2022-04-06T09.59.15.tar.xz.txt
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
OP
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@Thorrak Set the Pi up last week, but did the upgrade this morning.

It looks like I needed to merge the fix to master for it to get picked up. That is done, and the images are rebuilt.

Try re-running the install.sh script in your fermentrack-tools directory and you should be good

(Note - the install.sh script can be run over an existing fermentrack installation to fully update it. You don't need to wipe/otherwise change the Pi)

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
@Thorrak WooHoo that did it, my "new" pi just looks like my old one, at least on the home screen. I did start a ferment off first thing with the non-docker Pi, so will have to wait for a couple of weeks before I attach the controllers and iSpindels to the docker Pi.

Two observations: The beer log on docker and non docker only appear to show two logs for selection, but when I go to manage previous logs, all the logs I expect are there, can't remember if this was true before update. The Brewery Name isn't copied across, but I think thats a good thing, I know which one is which until I complete the migration.

OP
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@Thorrak WooHoo that did it, my "new" pi just looks like my old one, at least on the home screen. I did start a ferment off first thing with the non-docker Pi, so will have to wait for a couple of weeks before I attach the controllers and iSpindels to the docker Pi.

Two observations: The beer log on docker and non docker only appear to show two logs for selection, but when I go to manage previous logs, all the logs I expect are there, can't remember if this was true before update. The Brewery Name isn't copied across, but I think thats a good thing, I know which one is which until I complete the migration.

Yeah -- the "Brewery Name" and other constance settings aren't copied, unfortunately. I could (and may, at some point) add that as a feature, but for now the impacts are limited. Just go into the site settings panel to edit as needed.

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
@Thorrak Errmmm, something not quite right with the non-docker fermentation... The gravity sensors have disappeared and when I started to log, there is no graph. I can load an earlier log and the graph for that is displayed OK. I can't, at the moment, get to any iSpindel information, for any of my iSpindels?

To start this ferment I set control mode to beer constant to warm up the fermenter, from what I remember this was all fine for an hour or so, temperature gradually rising. I turned on the iSpindel and went to check it's status, I had no Gravity sensors present. It's been about 30 minutes since I added the iSpindel and 20 since I started logging, but a couple of hours since I started the warm up. The (2) controllers are acting as expected.

Help?

OP
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@Thorrak Errmmm, something not quite right with the non-docker fermentation... The gravity sensors have disappeared and when I started to log, there is no graph. I can load an earlier log and the graph for that is displayed OK. I can't, at the moment, get to any iSpindel information, for any of my iSpindels?

To start this ferment I set control mode to beer constant to warm up the fermenter, from what I remember this was all fine for an hour or so, temperature gradually rising. I turned on the iSpindel and went to check it's status, I had no Gravity sensors present. It's been about 30 minutes since I added the iSpindel and 20 since I started logging, but a couple of hours since I started the warm up. The (2) controllers are acting as expected.

Help?

When you say that the "gravity sensors have disappeared" what do you mean? Did you "attach" them to your BrewPi controller?

When you set up your iSpindel, did you update it to point to your new installation of Fermentrack?

Additionally, did you either shut down the old installation of Fermentrack or remove the BrewPi controllers from it so that it no longer tries to manage them?

blmcga

Reaction score
What router do you have?

Try restarting your router, wait for your router to come up, then see if your controller connects the first time you power it on.

If it does, the issue is (unfortunately) completely unrelated to Fermentrack.

All good got 2 ESP8266's connected and they appear to be working fine. Will hook up to my fermenting fridge later and try to run a beer schedule to see how it does.

Will Ubuntu 64 bit come down the pipe?

OP
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All good got 2 ESP8266's connected and they appear to be working fine. Will hook up to my fermenting fridge later and try to run a beer schedule to see how it does.

Will Ubuntu 64 bit come down the pipe?

Ubuntu 64 bit for RPi should have been posted yesterday. Ubuntu 64 bit for intel-based architecture should have been posted awhile back.

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
When you say that the "gravity sensors have disappeared" what do you mean? Did you "attach" them to your BrewPi controller?

When you set up your iSpindel, did you update it to point to your new installation of Fermentrack?

Additionally, did you either shut down the old installation of Fermentrack or remove the BrewPi controllers from it so that it no longer tries to manage them?
This is the non-docker installation that I upgraded (eventually) late last night, the controllers and iSpindels were all shown on the "home" screen. I did a backup of that system this morning and then started a fermentation. After filling the fermenter, I set the control mode to beer constant to warm up the vessel and it's contents. Everything looked good, the temperature started rising. After 20-30 minutes I then turned on my iSpindel and put it in the fermenter and went to check everything was OK. On the home screen I have the heading Gravity sensors but no iSpindels listed. I then went back to the controller and started logging, but so far no graph is displayed of the current fermentaion, but I can load earlier logs and the graph is displayed. Should I do a restart of Fermentrack?

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
I should add the reason I started to log was to see if the iSpindel showed up there. I wouldn't usually start to log until I got the temperature near 20C.

I can restart/reconfigure anything on the Pi and losing the current log isn't an issue.

OP
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is the non-docker installation that I upgraded (eventually) late last night, the controllers and iSpindels were all shown on the "home" screen. I did a backup of that system this morning and then started a fermentation. After filling the fermenter, I set the control mode to beer constant to warm up the vessel and it's contents. Everything looked good, the temperature started rising. After 20-30 minutes I then turned on my iSpindel and put it in the fermenter and went to check everything was OK. On the home screen I have the heading Gravity sensors but no iSpindels listed. I then went back to the controller and started logging, but so far no graph is displayed of the current fermentaion, but I can load earlier logs and the graph is displayed. Should I do a restart of Fermentrack?

Did you "attach" your gravity sensors to your BrewPi controller?

blmcga

Reaction score
Ubuntu 64 bit for RPi should have been posted yesterday. Ubuntu 64 bit for intel-based architecture should have been posted awhile back.

OK, guess my WSL/Ubuntu that just doesn't like it?

Using the semi-auto method

[email protected]:~/fermentrack-tools$ sudo ./install.sh
::: Checking for Internet connection:
::: Internet connection Success!
::: Verifying free disk space...
::: Sufficient free disk space is available
::: Checking/installing Docker prerequisites using apt-get
::: Docker is already installed. Continuing.
::: Docker-compose is already installed. Continuing.
::: Script is run as root - no need to add to docker group.
*** ERROR: Unable to access docker. Try logging out and back in and re-running the installer. If that doesn't work, try restarting your pi.
*** ERROR: Unable to access Docker

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
I have two Pi's, only one is currently switched on. The one switched on is my original installation of non-docker Fermentrack, the one switched off is docker Fermentrack that I will move to, from here on I'm talking non-docker.

I upgraded it to the latest version late last night with your help. I haven't changed any configuration of the Pi, the controllers or the iSpindels. First thing this morning everything looked OK the controllers and iSpindels displayed in the home screen. I loaded up my fermenter with the water, wine concentrate, etc. Attached the heating belt and set the controller to Beer Constant to warm everything up. When things were warming I got the attached iSpindel, switched it on and dropped into the fermenter. When I checked back on Fermentrack I couldn't see any Gravity sensors listed, there should be three, but there were none. I turned on logging to see if the iSpindel would be shown on the log/graph but there was and still is, no graph displayed.

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
Oh, and the two Pi's have never been on the same network.

I think things went wrong when I added the iSpindel????

OP
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, guess my WSL/Ubuntu that just doesn't like it?

Using the semi-auto method

[email protected]:~/fermentrack-tools$ sudo ./install.sh
::: Checking for Internet connection:
::: Internet connection Success!
::: Verifying free disk space...
::: Sufficient free disk space is available
::: Checking/installing Docker prerequisites using apt-get
::: Docker is already installed. Continuing.
::: Docker-compose is already installed. Continuing.
::: Script is run as root - no need to add to docker group.
*** ERROR: Unable to access docker. Try logging out and back in and re-running the installer. If that doesn't work, try restarting your pi.
*** ERROR: Unable to access Docker

WSL? As in, windows subsystem for linux? If so, I haven't tested anything in windows subsystem for linux. The issue sounds like it is with Docker, though -- if you can figure out how to get docker running the rest of Fermentrack should install.

OP
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two Pi's, only one is currently switched on. The one switched on is my original installation of non-docker Fermentrack, the one switched off is docker Fermentrack that I will move to, from here on I'm talking non-docker.

I upgraded it to the latest version late last night with your help. I haven't changed any configuration of the Pi, the controllers or the iSpindels. First thing this morning everything looked OK the controllers and iSpindels displayed in the home screen. I loaded up my fermenter with the water, wine concentrate, etc. Attached the heating belt and set the controller to Beer Constant to warm everything up. When things were warming I got the attached iSpindel, switched it on and dropped into the fermenter. When I checked back on Fermentrack I couldn't see any Gravity sensors listed, there should be three, but there were none. I turned on logging to see if the iSpindel would be shown on the log/graph but there was and still is, no graph displayed.

Oh, and the two Pi's have never been on the same network.

I think things went wrong when I added the iSpindel????

Did you "attach" your gravity sensors to your BrewPi controller?

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
So... After RETRIEVING the iSpindel I can confirm that it is set as it should be, correct netwrok, correct Fermentrack address etc. However, when I go to Fermentrack to add it get " Error adding sensor - See below for details" and the only thing below is the Select Sensor Type, no error message.

blmcga

Reaction score
Environment:

Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://192.x.x.x/api/gravity/

Django Version: 3.0.14
Python Version: 3.9.12
Installed Applications:
['django.contrib.admin',
'django.contrib.auth',
'django.contrib.contenttypes',
'django.contrib.sessions',
'django.contrib.messages',
'django.contrib.staticfiles',
'app.apps.AppConfig',
'firmware_flash.apps.AppConfig',
'gravity.apps.GravityAppConfig',
'external_push.apps.AppConfig',
'backups.apps.BackupsConfig',
'constance',
'constance.backends.database',
'huey.contrib.djhuey']
Installed Middleware:
['django.middleware.security.SecurityMiddleware',
'whitenoise.middleware.WhiteNoiseMiddleware',
'django.contrib.sessions.middleware.SessionMiddleware',
'django.middleware.common.CommonMiddleware',
'django.middleware.csrf.CsrfViewMiddleware',
'django.contrib.auth.middleware.AuthenticationMiddleware',
'django.contrib.messages.middleware.MessageMiddleware',
'django.middleware.clickjacking.XFrameOptionsMiddleware']

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py", line 34, in inner
response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 115, in _get_response
response = self.process_exception_by_middleware(e, request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 113, in _get_response
response = wrapped_callback(request, *callback_args, **callback_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/sentry_sdk/integrations/django/views.py", line 67, in sentry_wrapped_callback
return callback(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/contextlib.py", line 79, in inner
return func(*args, **kwds)
File "/app/gravity/api/sensors.py", line 46, in get_gravity_sensors
temp, temp_format = dev.retrieve_loggable_temp()

Exception Type: ValueError at /api/gravity/
Exception Value: too many values to unpack (expected 2)

OP
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Environment:

Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://192.x.x.x/api/gravity/

Django Version: 3.0.14
Python Version: 3.9.12
Installed Applications:
['django.contrib.admin',
'django.contrib.auth',
'django.contrib.contenttypes',
'django.contrib.sessions',
'django.contrib.messages',
'django.contrib.staticfiles',
'app.apps.AppConfig',
'firmware_flash.apps.AppConfig',
'gravity.apps.GravityAppConfig',
'external_push.apps.AppConfig',
'backups.apps.BackupsConfig',
'constance',
'constance.backends.database',
'huey.contrib.djhuey']
Installed Middleware:
['django.middleware.security.SecurityMiddleware',
'whitenoise.middleware.WhiteNoiseMiddleware',
'django.contrib.sessions.middleware.SessionMiddleware',
'django.middleware.common.CommonMiddleware',
'django.middleware.csrf.CsrfViewMiddleware',
'django.contrib.auth.middleware.AuthenticationMiddleware',
'django.contrib.messages.middleware.MessageMiddleware',
'django.middleware.clickjacking.XFrameOptionsMiddleware']

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py", line 34, in inner
response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 115, in _get_response
response = self.process_exception_by_middleware(e, request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 113, in _get_response
response = wrapped_callback(request, *callback_args, **callback_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/sentry_sdk/integrations/django/views.py", line 67, in sentry_wrapped_callback
return callback(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/contextlib.py", line 79, in inner
return func(*args, **kwds)
File "/app/gravity/api/sensors.py", line 46, in get_gravity_sensors
temp, temp_format = dev.retrieve_loggable_temp()

Exception Type: ValueError at /api/gravity/
Exception Value: too many values to unpack (expected 2)

Ugh. If I ever get enough time to finish and release KegScreen then I need to come and port back the unit-aware temperatures/volumes back to Fermentrack.

I just pushed a fix for this to master. You can manually update both the docker & non-docker versions by clicking the gear, going to "Update from GitHub", and clicking the button to update.

I also have a new image building now that should be live on Docker Hub within the next 20 minutes which contains the fix.

blmcga

Reaction score
Ugh. If I ever get enough time to finish and release KegScreen then I need to come and port back the unit-aware temperatures/volumes back to Fermentrack.

I just pushed a fix for this to master. You can manually update both the docker & non-docker versions by clicking the gear, going to "Update from GitHub", and clicking the button to update.

I also have a new image building now that should be live on Docker Hub within the next 20 minutes which contains the fix.

Ive got 3 Plaato Keg's if your looking for some testing with KegScreen...

OP
OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ive got 3 Plaato Keg's if your looking for some testing with KegScreen...

Once we get there, absolutely -- if you haven't already, I recommend signing up to the mail list at KegScreen - Coming Soon. Plaato Keg support is built and (mostly) tested, though admittedly I haven't played with it in the past ~9 months or so. The thing that is/was holding up KegScreen was me dragging my feet on deciding how to support bluetooth flow meters like Keg Tron -- but I have a brand new project coming that solves that issue. Soon!