Fermentrack: Fermentation monitoring & BrewPi-www Replacement for Raspberry Pi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I literally just did this because I chilled my wort 2 degrees lower than I intended. Just set beer constant at current temperature and edit the profile. Restart profile when you've made the changes.

The log will keep going as CadiBrewer said, and it won't show any disruption to the logs. I've taken to making a Part 1 and Part 2 Profile because I'm going to temperature ramp and then cold crash based on FG rather than a set schedule.

I can't imagine NOT having this level of control anymore. It's ruined me.

Cheers!
It was easy just like you said and the logging just kept going. So far everything is working a
Perfectly. This is my first run with it. Honestly I dont know how I brewed for the past 18 years without this level of control. Cant wait for the final result.

It was easy just like you said and the logging just kept going. So far everything is working a
Perfectly. This is my first run with it. Honestly I dont know how I brewed for the past 18 years without this level of control. Cant wait for the final result.
I feel exactly the same. So precise. iSpindel / Tilt makes it even better.

I feel exactly the same. So precise. iSpindel / Tilt makes it even better.
My next step is the ispindel. Is that a buildable circuit or do I have to buy it already made? Is tilt a buildable circuit?

My next step is the ispindel. Is that a buildable circuit or do I have to buy it already made? Is tilt a buildable circuit?
iSpindel is a (semi-)open source project. You can read about it here.

Tilt is 100% commercial (and patented so we don't talk about whether it can be done here). It's a better solution I think, price notwithstanding. The battery life on the new versions is awesome and the Tilt guys have been great with the community.

I was all-in on the iSpindel, and Iike mine a lot, but I mostly did it for the project. Tilt seems awesome.

I was all-in on the iSpindel, and Iike mine a lot, but I mostly did it for the project. Tilt seems awesome.
I'm reading up on tilt. I think that's my next project to work on. I see its implamented in fermentrack so I'm all in. Just need to find $135.00 laying around.
[emoji1]

The I-Spindle build was pretty easy-the hardest part was getting the 3D sled printed and waiting for the pet container. If I was to build one now I would use the PCB version and skip the 3D sled.

The I-Spindle build was pretty easy-the hardest part was getting the 3D sled printed and waiting for the pet container. If I was to build one now I would use the PCB version and skip the 3D sled.
I have read some of the Ispondle posts... one question I have has the battery life been resolved? I dont mind doing the build but at this point the tilt looks nice and my time is short... so I will probably go with the tilt for now.

The new Tilts expect battery life > a year. The iSpindel is doing better but is never gonna get that. If you plan to lager at all for instance, the cold+battery consumption calls for the Tilt IMHO.

Hey @Thorrak how much work would would it be to move the db.sqlite3 config file to its own 'config' (or similar) folder under /home/fermentrack/fermentrack?

The reason I ask is that I've been messing with my Docker image again and realised that if we could store both this file and the 'data' folder on the Docker host machine, we'd be able to leverage the data persistence features of Docker when the image/containers are removed/rebuilt. I can reference the to the file level and pass it in on its own which is working well enough for me, but only because I copied my existing db.sqlite3 file out of another container and am able to use that. For a 'new' installation where such a file doesn't exist, the user would need to run the image without a -v flag, configure it, save the file out, then re-run the image pointing to their saved file. The 'data' folder is fine as I can pass in a reference to the folder structure and Docker handles any files inside the folder nicely. If I could just point to a 'config' folder and let Docker do the rest I expect this would be a lot simpler for users.

The change itself is pretty simple, the following commands do it nicely, but Github updates overwrite the settings.py file and I'm not sure what follow on effects this might have on existing users.
mv /home/fermentrack/fermentrack/db.sqlite3 /home/fermentrack/fermentrack/config/ \
sed -i 's#db.sqlite3#config/db.sqlite3#g' /home/fermentrack/fermentrack/fermentrack_django/settings.py

Managed to shrink the image size down a fair bit, its about 900mb now, and the Huey/External Push Target stuff that was giving me grief in the first iteration is working.

Last edited:
The new Tilts expect battery life > a year. The iSpindel is doing better but is never gonna get that. If you plan to lager at all for instance, the cold+battery consumption calls for the Tilt IMHO.
So if I understand this correctly the tilt is supported natively inside fermentrack? I should be able to purchase a tilt and set it up inside fermentrack and log gravity. No other hardware needed or do I need a tiltbridge? My other concern is I use SS mini keg for fermentation so I may need a repeater for bluetooth.

So if I understand this correctly the tilt is supported natively inside fermentrack? I should be able to purchase a tilt and set it up inside fermentrack and log gravity. No other hardware needed or do I need a tiltbridge? My other concern is I use SS mini keg for fermentation so I may need a repeater for bluetooth.
Tilt is supported natively in both Fermentrack and BrewPi. No other hardware needed unless you have an issue with transmission through the SS fermenter. Tiltbridge can help if you can locate it where it can receive the BT beacon as well.

BrewPi does not yet support Tiltbridge but it will (maybe after this week) as soon as I figure out how I want to architect that. Making it work is easy, doing it well takes some thinking. :)

Last edited:
Tilt is supported natively in both Fermentrack and BrewPi. No other hardware needed unless you have an issue with transmission through the SS fermenter. Tiltbridge can help if you can locate it where it can receive the BT beacon as well.

BrewPi does not yet support Tiltbridge but it will (maybe after this week) as soon as I figure out how I want to architect that. Making it work is easy, doing it well takes some thinking. :)
BrewPi remix. ;)

What would it take to get a bubble counter to chart along with the temp plot?

Yeah, I know that it doesn't exactly correlate with SG, but I'm chea ... uh, "thrifty" ...

Yeah, I know that it doesn't exactly correlate with SG, but I'm chea ... uh, "thrifty" ...
Plaato is a product that does that, and could be integrated, but it's not exactly "thrifty" either. You go that far you may as well buy a Tilt or build an iSpindel.

35anbw.jpg

Plaato is a product that does that, and could be integrated, but it's not exactly "thrifty" either. You go that far you may as well buy a Tilt or build an iSpindel.

Plaato is an interesting product, but I am leery of anything dependent on cloud support. One day the cloud is there, the next there's not one in sight ...

So, nowhere to drop in a few lines of code? I haven't gone through it yet, but I figured that someone would have an idea.

Thanks!

Plaato is an interesting product, but I am leery of anything dependent on cloud support. One day the cloud is there, the next there's not one in sight ...

So, nowhere to drop in a few lines of code? I haven't gone through it yet, but I figured that someone would have an idea.

Thanks!
There is a Swedish guy on youtube that uses an automatic tire pressure gage that is working on it. In the middle of the ASG to look for links

What does this bubble counter look like and how would it be electrically integrated?
Ie: "Got Link"?
If it could be connected to the web host its reading could be synchronized with the temperature sensors and plotted (a Dynagraph concept that surely will thrill Thorrak ;))

Cheers!

What does this bubble counter look like and how would it be electrically integrated?
Ie: "Got Link"?
If it could be connected to the web host its reading could be synchronized with the temperature sensors and plotted (a Dynagraph concept that surely will thrill Thorrak ;))

Cheers!

Basically, it uses a photointerrupter aimed at the wet end of an S-type airlock. The liquid blocks the IR light until a bubble passes, generating a signal.

Here is one of many implementations:

https://hackaday.com/2015/11/24/bubble-catcher-watches-your-booze-burp/

Maybe a DS2413 1-wire breakout board to send the output to Fermentrack? I don't need precision to 8 decimals, just to figure when terminal gravity is reached and begin to cold crash (I travel, so I'm often 1000+ miles from home.)

I already have lots of professionally made bubble counters for fermentation experiments I had made about 10 years ago. If I find them I can send them to who ever wants to tinker with them write some code. I'll take a look today and post some pics.[emoji106] I hope no one tossed them out!

Obviously it can be done. To what end? What purpose does counting bubbles serve when you have available a much more precise measurement of fermentation in one of the gravity sensors? From the Instructable linked by Hackaday:
Important safety warning - Please do not stop fermenting when bubbles stop. Stuff tends to happen when Co2 ceases ie bubbles slow down or stop. Use a hydrometer to check fermentation has finished. (especially if you are bottling your booze in glass bottles!)
Probably the better implementation to something like this is a dedicated controller (thinking ESP8266 maybe) posting the data to an endpoint. That way you can use it wherever you like.

If you're going to build something anyway, build an iSpindel, especially given there's information which can be actioned upon in the future (like a gravity-based temp profile.)

Bear in mind, Fermentrack is Thorrak's gig. I'm just an observer.

That crazy Swede's project could be interesting for spunding however.

Last edited:
Obviously it can be done. To what end? What purpose does counting bubbles serve when you have available a much more precise measurement of fermentation in one of the gravity sensors? From the Instructable linked by Hackaday:

Probably the better implementation to something like this is a dedicated controller (thinking ESP8266 maybe) posting the data to an endpoint. That way you can use it wherever you like.

If you're going to build something anyway, build an iSpindel, especially given there's information which can be actioned upon in the future (like a gravity-based temp profile.)

Bear in mind, Fermentrack is Thorrak's gig. I'm just an observer.

Bah! - if counting bubbles was good enough for me to pull a carboy 25 years ago, it's good enough now! ;-) Yeah, this isn't my first rodeo ...

TBH, I haven't looked at iSpindel in awhile. There have too many hiccups in the project to attract my attention, but I'll take another look.

In the meantime, my original question still stands. Why send data to a separate endpoint when it could be displayed within an existing plot?

Basically, it uses a photointerrupter aimed at the wet end of an S-type airlock. The liquid blocks the IR light until a bubble passes, generating a signal.

Here is one of many implementations:

https://hackaday.com/2015/11/24/bubble-catcher-watches-your-booze-burp/

Maybe a DS2413 1-wire breakout board to send the output to Fermentrack? I don't need precision to 8 decimals, just to figure when terminal gravity is reached and begin to cold crash (I travel, so I'm often 1000+ miles from home.)
I had about 30 of these like this made back in 2005. If I find them today I will share with anyone who wants to play with it. Basically we were developing a system for teaching about fermentation. So this was an education product. I was on the experiment and testing end with students in our general biology 101. Eventually we were going to publish but the project was ended. It's a long story. But when I find them today (fingers crossed) i will post a few pics. I know, know there was a big clean out during my absence and I was shocked to find most of our probes, and fermentation teaching equipment was tossed out. Universities are so wasteful.. don't get me started. [emoji19]

Bah! - if counting bubbles was good enough for me to pull a carboy 25 years ago, it's good enough now! ;-) Yeah, this isn't my first rodeo ...
I hear ya. I started brewing in 1991 after receiving one of those mailer packs with the little 5x7 cards that advertise a ton of different things. Some bearded dude said I could save money by brewing my own beer. Here I am. :)

TBH, I haven't looked at iSpindel in awhile. There have too many hiccups in the project to attract my attention, but I'll take another look.
That's no $h1t. Samuel Lang doesn't seem to have very good testing backing him up and that's saying something from me. However, you just need to find a version that works and stick with it. Bleeding edge is a dangerous place to be on that project. There's a lot of folks here on the iSpindel thread who have been very successful with it and can probably get you pointed in the right direction in a hurry. @gromitdj put mine together for me a while back and I think I'm still running the same firmware. I prefer the Tilt, but iSpindel wins if price is a concern. The cheaper it gets, the more of your time it takes of course. :)

In the meantime, my original question still stands. Why send data to a separate endpoint when it could be displayed within an existing plot?
Well, I guess I didn't really finish that thought. You were supposed to read my mind! :) If you have something that can send data to an endpoint, it would be trivial to use Fermentrack (or BrewPi, sorry, had to say it. :p) to be that endpoint and plot the data. I think that ends up being ultimately more extensible in the long run.

Some bearded dude said I could save money by brewing my own beer. Here I am. :)

Ah, yes. This is what I like to call, "The Big Lie" ...

There's a lot of folks here on the iSpindel thread who have been very successful with it and can probably get you pointed in the right direction in a hurry.

That would be most appreciated!

The cheaper it gets, the more of your time it takes of course. :)

But, but ... I'm saving money, *and* learning something interesting! (See also, "The Big Lie")

use Fermentrack (or BrewPi, sorry, had to say it. :p) to be that endpoint and plot the data. I think that ends up being ultimately more extensible in the long run.

Kinda what I was thinking. It would be cool to watch the affect of temp steps, and who knows what nifty sensors will be coming along?

What about a scale to weight the fermenter? CO2 goes out weight goes low.
Every 44grams CO2 => 46grams Etanol
A 5 gallon glass fermenter is gonna come in around 50 lbs filled. That's just shy of 23 kilos. 44 grams is 0.2% of that. A typical rating for a load cell is +-0.3% so I think you'd find the best resolution you'd get would be around +-0.5% abw (if my half-assed math is correct.)

One of the presenters at HomeBrewCon showed a rather clever apparatus to lift a digital scale up to weigh the carboy. It used a wheelbarrow inner tube inflated by a breast pump compressor.

I can just see the stinkeye I'd get if I tried to buy a breast pump at a yard sale ...

[snip]

Just for the record, the crazy one is from Switzerland, not Sweden. His opening line cracks me up every time :

"Greetings Youtubers. Here is the guy with the swiss accent"

I immediatly think the swedish chef from the muppet show :)

regs,

peram

I'm currently running a BrewPiLess (ESP8622) in my Keezer to hold the temp, and reporting back to my Fermentrack. What setting do I need to adjust to allow it not to be so sensitive? Currently, it turns on cooling pretty much once it hits 0.05 above the set point. I would be happy for it to go nearly a full degree above the setpoint. Sorry, my system in Degrees Celsius.

TIA

JnR

Attachments

• Keezer.PNG
    Keezer.PNG
    72.6 KB · Views: 37
Just for the record, the crazy one is from Switzerland, not Sweden. His opening line cracks me up every time
Ah yeah ... I have a Swede friend and I tease him all the time about his "projects" so I likely made a mental slip there. Bork bork bork!
'm currently running a BrewPiLess (ESP8622) in my Keezer to hold the temp, and reporting back to my Fermentrack. What setting do I need to adjust to allow it not to be so sensitive? Currently, it turns on cooling pretty much once it hits 0.05 above the set point. I would be happy for it to go nearly a full degree above the setpoint. Sorry, my system in Degrees Celsius.
Um, that's how it's supposed to work. Not sure why you would not want it to control precisely. My BrewPi controls +- 0.1° F and that's pretty much why I wanted to use it to begin with. If you are worried about your fridge, there are timers built in which prevent short or rapid cycles. I'm honestly not sure how you would make it less sensitive. I think that's the first time anyone has ever asked.

I'm currently running a BrewPiLess (ESP8622) in my Keezer to hold the temp, and reporting back to my Fermentrack. What setting do I need to adjust to allow it not to be so sensitive?

Maybe immerse the temp probe (assuming that it's water resistant) in a small volume of water to dampen the response?

Back