Fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill05

Reaction score
Hey I am sure this has been answered before, but I couldn't find an answer when I searched, so I apologize. I have been fermenting in my closet upstairs, but it's getting warm and the wife wants her closet back! My basement fluctuates between 63 and 70 degrees. Is this too warm for fermenting? I am not lagering at all yet. My next question is do I need a blow off for 8 gallon buckets? I just picked a few up. Thanks in advance!!

. . . My basement fluctuates between 63 and 70 degrees. Is this too warm for fermenting? .. . .

Should be fine for ales, maybe use a swamp cooler type bath to stabilize, depends on the brew and the yeast used really.

. . . . My next question is do I need a blow off for 8 gallon buckets? I just picked a few up. Thanks in advance!!

Depends how full you are filling them and again what brew and yeast used, I'd say if your bucket starts getting full of kreusen, put on a blowoff tube.

Something that will be good for you to remember is that no two fermentations are the same, there are too many variables to track concerning fermentation and some of these variables are completely out of our control, one brew could ferment wildly different from the next seemingly same brew, etc.

Brew on my friend:mug:

Answer is "it depends". The temp range is usually fine for most ale yeast strains, but it would really depend on what strain you are using.

Hey I am sure this has been answered before, but I couldn't find an answer when I searched, so I apologize. I have been fermenting in my closet upstairs, but it's getting warm and the wife wants her closet back! My basement fluctuates between 63 and 70 degrees. Is this too warm for fermenting? I am not lagering at all yet. My next question is do I need a blow off for 8 gallon buckets? I just picked a few up. Thanks in advance!!

I ferment in a basement with about the same temp fluctuation as that. It's generally on the cooler end, 63-65, and seems good for most ale strains. Although some strains aren't ideal at 63 and others should ferment below 70 to make good beer, 63-70 seems to be a safe range to brew at.
I also keep my fermenters in a bath of water that I can heat or cool as needed. (aquarium heater or frozen water bottles do the trick). This way I can adjust to mother nature, and keep my fermentation temps constant.

Back