Fermenting Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiren

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I am making a stout. It has been in primary for 9 days. The OG is 1.079 I used the Wyeast 1728 yeast. It has a 69%-75% attenuation and suggested fermentation temp is 55-75*, which I have been fermenting at 66*. I made a 2000ml starter with yeast nutrients on a stir plate and used an aquarium pump for with a hepifilter for 30 min after the wort was down to 67*. I have been checking my gravity over the past few days and it is 1.40. I have a chest freezer with temp control so I set the temp to about 70*, still under recommendation temp. I also swirled up my carboy to get the yeast back into solution, but after a few min. the yeast fell back out. Yesterday, I went out and got some Nottingham dry yeast and put that in. I have seen only 1 bubble in all the time of me watching it and the temp is 70*. Before I did that however, I racked into secondary. I am thinking that with the 4% ABV in there already, the yeast is having a hard time. What am I missing?
Thank you in advance.

Try raising the temperature of the beer up to 70F and then swirl the fermenter again. Also what was the recipe? Some extracts are less fermentable than others, or maybe you have a lot of unfermentable ingredients.

About two weeks.:) 4% won't bother Nottingham, but it does take time to adapt to the environment.

Back