Fermenting Pilsner at ale temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
I am thinking about putting together a simple German Pilsner but I don't have the setup for lagering. I was wondering if it would be better to use a clean ale yeast such as Kolsch or to just use a lager yeast and have it ferment on the high side (68-69F). I wouldn't mind a little bit of ester production, as long as the yeast won't crap out and stop fermenting. What do you think?

:mug:

wlp 001 cal ale yeast. Nice and clean. I recently did a light ale for my wife and it came out clean and crisp.

First off, whatever you end up using, get it into cool ale temperatures if you can, eg <65&#730;. I wouldn't recommend Kölsch, just because Kölsch fruitiness isn't appropriate in a Pilsner. I'd recommend the California lager yeast, Wyeast 2112 or WLP810. I've never used it, but it purportedly makes clean, malty, clear lagers at ale temperatures, which matches what I think you're looking for.

Yeah I noticed that San Francisco Lager Yeast (WLP810). If I can cool that a few degrees to 65 it'll actually be in range. That might work.

My only experience with lager yeast(American Lager yeast) at high temps (65 ish) was a lot of esters(banana city!) I don't like esters in a lager-they are supposed to be clean and neutral. I don't think the yeast will crap out on you, but may be pretty stressed?

Personally, if keeping the brew cold is an issue, I would use a Kolsch or other German Ale yeast, or even American Ale yeast in the low 60's. This will take a lot of the worry out for you, and will make a very "lager-like" beer, especially if you can at least age it for a while. Just my take, others may have more insight.

I sucessfully did a lager by moving the carboy around to cold spots...outside, garage at night, basement, etc. It was a bit of a pain, but it worked.

Good Luck, Tim

TimBrewz said:
My only experience with lager yeast(American Lager yeast) at high temps (65 ish) was a lot of esters(banana city!) I don't like esters in a lager-they are supposed to be clean and neutral. I don't think the yeast will crap out on you, but may be pretty stressed?

Personally, if keeping the brew cold is an issue, I would use a Kolsch or other German Ale yeast, or even American Ale yeast in the low 60's. This will take a lot of the worry out for you, and will make a very "lager-like" beer, especially if you can at least age it for a while. Just my take, others may have more insight.

I sucessfully did a lager by moving the carboy around to cold spots...outside, garage at night, basement, etc. It was a bit of a pain, but it worked.

Good Luck, Tim

Try the California Lager yeast (White Labs calls it San Francisco lager . . . ); it's what Anchor Steam uses, it ferments like a clean lager at temps above sixty degrees.

Bobby_M said:
It's more of a cali common or blonde ale at that point though.

Yeah I guess so. I was just going to use all Pilsner malt with Hallertau hops so it's 'sort of' like a German pilsner but I guess it would be a blonde ale technically.

paranode said:
I am thinking about putting together a simple German Pilsner but I don't have the setup for lagering. I was wondering if it would be better to use a clean ale yeast such as Kolsch or to just use a lager yeast and have it ferment on the high side (68-69F). I wouldn't mind a little bit of ester production, as long as the yeast won't crap out and stop fermenting. What do you think?

:mug:

Take a look at my Koslch recipe. It tastes like a german pils when it's done.

Back