Fermenting my own mustard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mathewrtaylor

Reaction score
Thought that with meats, this would be an appropriate spot for this, and wanted to share my recipe:

1 cup (172 g) Black mustard
1/2 cup (86 g) Yellow mustard
1/2 cup (86 g) Spicy Yellow mustard
3 tbs (42 g) himalayan pink salt
4 cups (32 oz/910 g) filtered dechlorinated water
3 cloves of garlic
2 shallots

Sealed, and air evacuated. Plan to start at 3 days at room temperature, then start evaluating the fermentation.

Sources are unclear as to duration, but hover around the 3-7 day range. Additionally, there is supposed to be lacto on the grains themselves, so chose to forgo the whey that other recipes inoculate with.

After 7 days of fermenting, activity was showing down. Decided to stop.

Finished processing with:
- 3 tbs of brine
- 3 tbs of white vinegar
- 2 tbs of clover honey
- 1/2 tbs tumeric
- 1 tbs of Xanthan Gum

Add the liquids and used a stick blender, and pestle to crush up grains. Thought the colours looked a little washed out, and added the tumeric.

Added the Xanthan Gum (first use) and my goodness does that thicken way more than I thought . Thinned out with an additional 2 tbs of brine.

I don't have a pH meter or strips, so cannot comment on it yet, and what I'm handing out will come with a warning and request to keep refrigerated until I can test.

Tasting notes and after thoughts:
- sightly spicy, mustardy, but not too vinegar forward. First notes from my wife was garlicky and spicy, but enjoyable.
- 1 tbs of Xanthan Gum was way too much, even though I diluted it down some, it's still very viscous. Will start with half that next time.

Here are a couple of photos, one whole fermenting, and the finished product.
IMG_20180901_132827.jpg
IMG_20180902_200551.jpg

Back