question on my kettle sour, fermenting with the lacto

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramonallones

Reaction score
Hey everyone, noob here to bacteria and trying my first kettle sour.

grain bill, 60 percent 2 row, 30 percent white wheat and 10 percent flaked oats. 6 gallon batch pot and cooler.

Mashed and batch sparge as normal in a cooler. I then cooled wort to 120 and pitched lacto delbruckeii into kettle and mixed. boiled for 10 mins. no starter on lacto.

I then transferred wort to two 3 gallon carboys (with airlocks) filled to neck so there would be little headspace. I put both carboys in a large home depot bin/container, and filled the container with water, and set a sous vide for the surrounding water to 110.

Question is one of the carboys has no krausen and airlock activity. the other one had a krausen and blowoff. since they essentially came from same kettle with lacto pitched in

1. is lacto supposed to have a krausen and ferment like that
2. prob an infection in the fermenting carboy?

I plan to transfer back to kettle after it hits 3.5 ph and then boil to kill lacto after this.

tks for any help.

Did you boil after adding lacto? You aren’t supposed to boil the lacto until after the souring is done which could take 24 hours or up to 3 days. If you didn’t add yeast then you shouldn’t have a Krausen. Usually when I do kettle sours I can’t visually tell that anything is happening but the ph will drop significantly.

thanks for the input. I figures that's probably the culprit.

I did boil for 5-10 minutes and cool before pitching lacto. I know that's not traditional for kettle sour but I did read some beginners guide to do that.

Last edited:
I have had good luck using L. Plantarum, my method is mash and sparge as usual, heat up wort until it starts to boil then cool to 85-ish, and pitch the lacto and let it ride around room temp, i think that strain still sours below 70 but I have always set my heat wrap to 78-ish due to the chilly room I use. I usually check on it at 24 hours and every 6-12 hours after (depending on life) until it reaches level I want, which is usually within 48 hours. At that point, I do a full boil on wort, cool and pitch my yeast and the rest is pretty standard.

my notes, FWIW:

-You can buy L. Plantarum from some yeast labs, but I just use probiotics pills from Swanson.
-I used 5 pills for 5 gallons, didn't really notice a difference using a starter or not.
-Some pre-acidify to pH of 4.5 before pitching lacto, I have done it with and without that step and didn't really notice a difference, .
-To ferment, I have only used US-05, I pitch a full, re-hydrated patch for 5 gallons.

Back