My Kombucha recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morden2004

Reaction score
I have started another batch of Kombucha and I'd like to share my recipe. It produces a well carbonated Kombucha that is very nearly a carbon copy of Canada Dry Ginger Ale - but with all the health benefits of Kombucha.

Kombucha Tea Recipe - 2017/03 #3 Makes 20 liters

1 - Ingredients:
1. 80 g of Organic Green Tea
2. 5 g additional tea – black (optional)
3. 2 Tbl of lime juice
4. 500 ml of saved Kombucha (or starter: see * below)
5. 4 or 5 Scobys
6. 10-12 cups of sugar or equiv. sweetener​

Make the tea brew using 4 liters of boiling water. Let steep for 10 minutes. Strain.

Put brewed tea into fermenting vessel and add sugar. Stir to dissolve.

Add lime juice and enough cool water to make final volume (minus 500 ml space for Scobys & starter Kombucha). Temperature should be 20 to 22C (68 to 75F).

Add starter Kombucha (or starter liquid*) and the Scobys.

Check the pH which should be 4 to 5. If 6 or higher, add some diluted vinegar to achieve a pH of 4.

Leave in a warm place for 5 to 7 days. On day 5 taste the Kombucha.
You should stop when the taste is verging on tart but not sharp.

Remove the Scobys and about 500ml of the Kombucha into a storage container with a tight fitting lid. Refrigerate.

2 - Flavoring and carbonating the Kombucha (if desired)

Strain the Kombucha.

Juice 3 lemons. Juice of Ginger (peel and juice 2-3 inches of root using a garlic press). Add this combined liquid along with 2 Tbl of sugar to the Kombucha. Stir and bottle immediately.

Place tightly capped bottles in a warm place (room temperature) and on 2nd day check the effervescence of the Kombucha. Leave for an extra day if not sufficiently carbonated. When it is bubbly to your liking, refrigerate.

(*) Note: Use ¼ cup of vinegar and water to make 500 ml as a starter if you don’t have Kombucha.​

Of course if you don't want to tackle 20 liters, just reduce the quantities accordingly.

KB1x800.jpg

KB2x800.jpg

Man that's a crazy high amount of sugar . I do 20 litre batches and use 4 cups of sugar ,

Back