Fermenting at 50 degess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carndog

Reaction score
I am looking for a beer and yeast that I can ferment at 50 degrees. I am on travel for work often and do not keep the house at a constant temperature. But my basement is always about 50 degrees. Besides a California common, I haven't found anything else I can ferment at that temperature. I do not have and don't plan to buy the equipment needed to larger. So this would need to be an ale. Thanks in advance.

Kolsch with the Wyeast strain can go pretty low. I think Edinburgh yeast can go pretty low too for a Scottish ale.

EDIT: With the Kolsch yeast, you can do a Kolsch, pseudo-lager, mocktoberfest, altbier, etc.

The only yeast strains I can think of that are active under about 55 degrees are lager yeast strains. It sounds like you have perfect temperatures to make a lager, so I"m not sure what to tell you. Ale yeast will go dormant at 50 degrees. Lager yeast will ferment well at 50 degrees.

I just don't have to equipment to lower the tempature to 40 degrees after the fermentation. That's why I want to stay away from a larger. The. CA common uses a larger yeast, but it doesn't need to be brought down to 40 degrees after the fermentation.

The closest I can find is Scottish Ale Yeast, but it only goes down to 55. The action of the yeast will raise the internal temperature of the wort, possibly even enough to get it to the desired range of 55. I used it for a Scotch Ale and it gives a wonderful smokey flavor--with no need for peated malt.

I just don't have to equipment to lower the tempature to 40 degrees after the fermentation. That's why I want to stay away from a larger. The. CA common uses a larger yeast, but it doesn't need to be brought down to 40 degrees after the fermentation.

Well, you're "supposed" to lager a steam beer, too. But of course, you don't have to lager anything at all, if you don't want to. It's just that the yeast works at 50 degrees, so it'd be preferable to use a yeast that works at the temperature you can ferment at. Lagering is another step, but it's not necessary.

Back