fermenting apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anlgp

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a party in 2 weeks and 1 day. I started the brewing about a week ago and fermenting started about 6 days ago. Unlike my "honey" question posted in another thread I realized several things and that I didn't follow the recipe to a T.

for instance:

I have less than 5 gallons
I have 1.8lbs of honey
And a whopping 5 grams of yeast. . .

with that being said is it realistic that this is ready on the 30th of august? The fermentor has stopped bubbling for the most part and I don't want to add anything to it. I just want to bottle it.

Thanks for reading : )

no. apfelwein takes time to age and honey takes longer to ferment. then there is conditioning time. you COULD do it, but i wouldn't want to give your guests massive hangovers.

EDIT: brew a hefeweizen instead

That depends on your definition of ready. I would not serve it to guests if I were you... but in all likelihood it is done fermenting and has alcohol in it. My first batch of apfelwein is about 6 months old and is just starting to become what I had hoped it would be.

well,

my main priority is that the caps don't pop off. If it's not ready (ie. would give guests hangovers/just needs more time) then I won't serve it. could I bottle it, though?

I wouldn't bottle until after 4 weeks and PERFECTLY CLEAR! And thats wth sugar....honey could be dangerous to bottle that soon.

Caps Don't pop off when bottle bombs occur...it's dangerous a LOT.
IMG_0714_copy.jpg

Oh, I see.

My first brew went perfect and I didn't have any problems (this is only my second) so avoiding that at all costs I'll just have to be patient. Thanks for the images and help! I don't want to have explosions and then go and buy more bottles on top of that.

13 days after starting my first batch of Apfelwien... it's still making the airlock bubble. Maybe it's cause I'm keeping it at 62 degrees... but from what I've read it take a month or so if not more til it's ready to bottle.

Back