Fermenting again? After a month?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hampster24

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to the forum. Have been brewing extract and partial mash recipes for about 10 years with great success. However I am here to get some expert advice on a strange happening. I cooked up a batch of black IPA on 11/8. OG 1.062. Racked to secondary and dry hopped on 11/18. FG 1.024. I didn't have time to bottle until now so I put it off. Had planned to bottle today. BUT, last night I saw the airlock bubble. Now it's bubbling about every 12 seconds! Obviously something is at work in there. Has anyone had this experience? Should I wait it out?

did it get disturbed at all? could have kicked up the yeast cake and released some CO2 and maybe even woke up the yeast..

I don't think it was disturbed. Wish I had a thief about now. Must buy one for next batch. It's in a glass carboy so checking gravity is problematic.

I don't think it was disturbed. Wish I had a thief about now. Must buy one for next batch. It's in a glass carboy so checking gravity is problematic.

Use your raking cane and siphon hose to rack a little to a sample tube. :rockin:

You could set your sample tube in a nice big mug in case there is spillage. Of course you'd have to drink that.....:mug:

Thanks RM-MN. I will try that when i'm not so tired. Update. After 2 days airlock is still active but the krausen is diminishing. Will update again over the weekend when I have got a gravity number. ILikebeer, I hope you are wrong!

OK, thanks for calming me down. Sterilized some stuff and got a gravity reading today. 1st off, the airlock action has slowed to about a bubble every 50 seconds. 2nd, the gravity is now down to 1.018 from 1.024. By my calculations that is a 3/4% rise from @5% to sneaking up on 6%. :p And it tastes great! The closest thing I have had commercially is probably Magic Hat Demo. So it won't be ready for Christmas as I had hoped. But it will be fine when it's time comes! I'll just have to break out a few of last year's imperial stouts.

OK, thanks for calming me down. Sterilized some stuff and got a gravity reading today. 1st off, the airlock action has slowed to about a bubble every 50 seconds. 2nd, the gravity is now down to 1.018 from 1.024. By my calculations that is a 3/4% rise from @5% to sneaking up on 6%. :p And it tastes great! The closest thing I have had commercially is probably Magic Hat Demo. So it won't be ready for Christmas as I had hoped. But it will be fine when it's time comes! I'll just have to break out a few of last year's imperial stouts.

Nice! If you keg, you'll have more than enough time for it to carb

Back