Fermenter Funk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebane90

Reaction score
This forum is great. So many new guy questions have been answered :)

I just bottled my first batch last night and washed all of the buckets, equipment, etc. I woke up this morning and the fermenter bucket still has quite a funky smell. Is this normal, or is there a special way I should wash it? I used regular dish soap, but apparently that's not strong enough.

Thanks.

No big deal on the smell but the favorite around here is Oxyclean Free for cleaning. Dish soap will leave a head killing residue in your equipment so it's not ideal for cleaning. Hot water and a half scoop of oxyclean will clean everything out of fermenters. Rinse a couple of times after you've cleaned.

Welcome to HBT!

I don't use buckets anymore, but when I did they always smelled faintly of beer, no matter how well I soaked and cleaned them. I wouldn't worry about it.

Nurmey speaks the truth...soap and brewing gear are generally not good friends. Once you get a tub of Oxiclean, you'll wonder how you did without it. I always thought it was typical late-night infomercial fodder, but now my house will never be without it. It's amazing to watch the bubbles attack and break away the krausen ring inside a better bottle or carboy.

Actually, my girlfriend has started picking up off-brand "oxygen cleaner" at a 99 cent store, and it works just as well as the name brand item. Whatever brand you buy, opt for the unscented version.

Just what I had been wondering.. I had been getting PBW wich works awesome but gets exspensive. I am glad to hear that the oxyclean is a good thing for CLEANING the fermenter with. :)

Thanks a bunch for the info. Now another question: Is there an effective way to remove the soap residue that is now present on all my equipment?

I knew I should have some here first for cleaning info :)

When I started brewing, I noticed that the stain and hop smell built up in my fermenting bucket over time. Eventually, I decided to do something about it, so I dumped in a heaping 1/4 cup of Oxi-Clean and filled the fermenter up with hot water. I left it overnight, and the next day the inside was nice & white again, and the smell was hardly noticeable. I then fermented a couple more batches in it, and noticed that the stain & smell were starting to come back. I then asked: 1) What is the stain hurting? Answer: nothing, and 2) what does beer smell like? Answer: like hops. That was the last time I worried about that issue.

When I started brewing, I noticed that the stain and hop smell built up in my fermenting bucket over time. Eventually, I decided to do something about it, so I dumped in a heaping 1/4 cup of Oxi-Clean and filled the fermenter up with hot water. I left it overnight, and the next day the inside was nice & white again, and the smell was hardly noticeable. I then fermented a couple more batches in it, and noticed that the stain & smell were starting to come back. I then asked: 1) What is the stain hurting? Answer: nothing, and 2) what does beer smell like? Answer: like hops. That was the last time I worried about that issue.

Same thing here. I soak and clean the bucket with Oxiclean, but there is still some faint coloration and residual hop aroma. Hasn't made a bit of difference in any of my beers.

Back