Fermentation temps for summer brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physast

Reaction score
The summers here are around the 90-100F range which makes fermenting beer tough as my temps in the apartment are around 77F. I was wondering if I can get around this by lowering my pitching temps.

Say I have a yeast strain that likes to eat within a range of 65-72F, but I can't get my apartment to this temp and I do not have any other means to do so. If I lower my wort to say 63F and pitch then would this work?

I have read that most fermentation takes place within the first few days. While the temps would probably rise drastically because of the heat of the fermentation process this would at least give some time to ferment in the range required and possibly stop some off flavors from developing.

Any thoughts?

They will rise very drastically if you don't do anything to control them. You can pitch at 60F and if it's in a 77F room, you can expect the beer to be in the 80's within a few hours of fermentation starting.

Look into the swamp cooler method of temperature control. I use one of those big party tubs with the rope handles. Tub goes on the floor, water goes in the tub, fermenter goes in the water. Then you just swap out frozen water bottles a few times a day. I did this when temps were just over 100F outside, Mid 90's inside the apartment and my beer stayed under 70F the whole time.

You can also brew a saison! They loooooove warm fermentation temps.

Back