Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarpat

Reaction score
I recently purchased a temperature controller and a thermowell. I have it connected to an electric blanket to control temperature in my 60 degree basement. I have never been able to monitor my temperature during fermentation before, and I made a amazing discovery. Although my basement is 60 degrees, the fermenter never went below 70 degrees during the "blow-off" period. Just the heat created by the fermentation alone caused this. I knew that fermentation creates heat, but I had no idea it was that much. Anyway I think next time I will wait until I finish "blow-off" before I install the temprerature control, since it is difficult to use with a blow off tube. Just sharing my experience with others, in case some of you don't know this already.
Pat

A swamp cooler is a cheap way to control the fermentation temps, for the first three to four days of active fermentation, if you don't have a temp controlled refrigerator or freezer.
Higher OG beers with a higher pitch rate will generate more heat than a low OG beer with a lower pitch rate. Higher ambient temps will also play a part in how much the temperature will increase.

A swamp cooler is a cheap way to control the fermentation temps, for the first three to four days of active fermentation, if you don't have a temp controlled refrigerator or freezer.

And although technically, a swamp cooler relies on evaporative cooling, you can add ice bottles to the water if you need more cooling.

Anyway I think next time I will wait until I finish "blow-off" before I install the temprerature control, since it is difficult to use with a blow off tube. Just sharing my experience with others, in case some of you don't know this already.
Pat

I think that's a good plan. Keep in mind though, that every fermentation may differ a little. Pitch rate, yeast strain, the mood of the fermentation gods, etc can have an affect. So monitor the fermentation and control as needed. Also, keep in mind that after the fermentation starts to subside, the temp will also decrease. I like to make sure the temps never decrease but stay on a slow, steady incline though to the end of fermentation.

Back