Fermentation temp out of range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeNavy

Reaction score
I recently started using a wine fridge for fermentation. I used WLP001 (68-72 degrees) for the brew, and set the fridge to its highest setting, 65 degrees. I expected the brew to be around 68 degrees due to the exothermic reaction of fermentation. After a week, my Inkbird temp controller came in and my temp was 65 degrees when taped and insulated on the outside of the carboy. Now, the vigorous fermentation was done at this point, and I let it naturally rise to 71 degrees on day 8. Will this be a problem? Brewing a 5 gallon batch of Grapefruit IPA. Thanks!

I am puzzled? Your post headline says temperature out of range. Then list 68-72 as the range for the yeast. You say that the temperature was controlled at about 65 expecting 68 degrees from the fermentation. I suspect it was warmer than that. I guess you are not sure since you didn't have the Inkbird at that point?? Then let it rise to 71. So I don't see any temperature that you saw that was "out of range". Even if it was 65 degrees I don't think that is too low. I do all the Chico strain yeasts at 64 degrees with good success.

Unless it got quite a bit hotter during the active fermentation you have nothing to worry about. Most of the off flavors created by high temperatures happen during the active fermentation. Letting the temperature rise after that doesn't really have much effect. As already stated it is a fairly common practice to let the temperature rise at the end to encourage full attenuation.

I am puzzled? Your post headline says temperature out of range. Then list 68-72 as the range for the yeast. You say that the temperature was controlled at about 65 expecting 68 degrees from the fermentation. I suspect it was warmer than that. I guess you are not sure since you didn't have the Inkbird at that point?? Then let it rise to 71. So I don't see any temperature that you saw that was "out of range". Even if it was 65 degrees I don't think that is too low. I do all the Chico strain yeasts at 64 degrees with good success.

Unless it got quite a bit hotter during the active fermentation you have nothing to worry about. Most of the off flavors created by high temperatures happen during the active fermentation. Letting the temperature rise after that doesn't really have much effect. As already stated it is a fairly common practice to let the temperature rise at the end to encourage full attenuation.

Nope! You aren't puzzled. I was fishing for some advice from someone like yourself who has actually used a fridge before. I didn't know the exact temp of the wort compared to ambient temperature, and wanted to be completely sure. Sorry for misleading. Temp unknown >> out of range (in my mind).

Thanks for the input! I've been hearing more and more people using colder temps with chico strains and coming out with great beers. Makes me a lot more comfortable using the chiller in the future.

Nope! You aren't puzzled. I was fishing for some advice from someone like yourself who has actually used a fridge before. I didn't know the exact temp of the wort compared to ambient temperature, and wanted to be completely sure. Sorry for misleading. Temp unknown >> out of range (in my mind).

Thanks for the input! I've been hearing more and more people using colder temps with chico strains and coming out with great beers. Makes me a lot more comfortable using the chiller in the future.

With the Inkbird it should take the questions out of the equation. It should keep the beer very close to what you want for the entire time.

Back