Fermentation or a Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZbrewer1

Reaction score
well it's been about 17 hrs since i threw my very first brew into the fermenter and aded the yeast. There are EXTREMELY small bubbles in my homemade airlock, looks a lot like carbonation in a soda. Is this real fermentation or a sign of a problem? I do have a lot of head space in the fermenter ( about 3gals in a 5 gal container) so if it is fermentation could the head space be causeing the bubbles toi be small rather than big and fast? sorry if this is a dumb question

Well, at this point I'd probably just wait it out for a few days. I'm pretty sure that fermentation may not be visible for 48 hours or more after pitching.

What type of yeast did you use? Dry or liquid?

How come you only have 2 gallons of beer?? :(

That could cause less aggressive bubbling. A small amount of beer with a lot of extra air space. You should be fine though, don't worry. Do not make judgements after only 17 hours. I usually give it a whole day before I even start to think about anything I may have done wrong.

ok. i only have about 3 gallons of brew cause i only had abut 5lbs of grain and malted it myselfthanks for the info guys i wil just calm down and try not to be so paranoid about it lol i used dry yeast. muntons ale yeast

My current batch has very small bubbles too because I have 3 gallons in a 6 1/2 gallon fermenter after pitching washed yeast from a batch I did in January and had been in the refrigerator since and it is fermenting in a 65 degree room. I like it that way. Being cool means it ferments slower which will leave my beer with less off flavors and won't blow the lid off the bucket either.

You should just relax and ignore your beer for a while, like about 3 weeks and then check it. The bubbles most likely mean you have yeast doing their thing and they do it best without being disturbed.

well i am trying to relax but it ain't easy. since i am using a 5 gallon food grade bucket from the local deli to ferment in i can't see the actual liquid. it's been about a day and a half now and the rewally small bubbles in the airlock are still all i can seeThe room i am fermenting in is a constant 65 degrees or so i took a sneak peek inside the bucket and there is a patchy oam on top with small bubbles so i am guessing it is fermenting. thanks for all the tips guys

What did you use in your airlock? I've seen big bubbles and small bubbles depending on my starsan concentration. I never worry about the size. I find if I have to much liquid in my airlock the bubbles will be smaller than if I have the "perfect" amount. Let it ride. Should be fine.

i got a 5 gallon food grade plastic bucket from my local supermarket bakery., the kind with the rubber gasket seal lid. i took a 1/2" paddle bit and drilled a hole in the top, then passed a 1/2" diameter piece of clear tubing through it. the tubing fit really tight through the hole. then i siliconed it in and put the pther end of the tubing into a large glass half full of water.

That's a blow off tube for all intents and purposes. I wouldn't worry about the size of the bubbles. Co2 doesn't care about what makes it it's the same size always. Your fermenting. Sit back and ignore it for a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back