Fermentation not subsiding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjm1188

Reaction score
I brewed a standard american wheat last Friday (10 days ago). Fermentation started after about 30 hours, and has been going solid since. There is still about an inch of krausen sitting on top of the beer in the fermenter and the airlock is still bubbling at a decent rate.
I'm used to beers taking 2-3 days of activate fermentation than beginning to settle. Is this normal for a wheat beer?

I wouldn't worry too much, I recently brewed some wheats and don't recall them fermenting in a hurry.

Let it ferment, drop clear and then bottle however long that takes.

I've recently done two wheats a Belgain Wit and a Honey Wheat. Both had a decent krausen when I bottled. Wheat beers have a pretty ridiculous amount of protein that makes the krausen more resistant to falling. These proteins are what make a wheats hazy. The only sure way to know when its done is when it stops bubbling and your SG doesn't change.

what's the current gravity?
airlock activity and krausen are NOT the indicators that fermentation is complete. CO2 in the fermented beer will burp the airlock, especially as the room warms up in the afternoon.

krausen falling or not falling is highly dependent on the yeast strain.

Latest posts

Back