Fermentation not bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarvisg

Reaction score
So here is the recipe I used for a Stout, Hopville . "Last minute Imperial Stout" American Stout Recipe
I brewed on the 27th and I had three days or so of good bubbling about every second. Now it has stopped and I am not even getting any bubbling. Should I open up the bucket and stir everything around to try and aerate it? Any other suggestions? Maybe re-pitch yeast? If I re-pitch is there any additional things I have to know, I have never re-pitched. Temperatures are around 70 or so in my house so I think thats around where its been in the closet.

Thanks

You need to take a hydrometer reading. That's the only way you....or we can help you. It may be done fermenting. Bubbles don't mean anything.

Step away from the fermenter................

Don't mess with your brew. It is fermenting. Just because there are no bubbles it is still working. Stirring or trying to aerate at this point will only ruin it.

Drink some craft brews (for research) and let the beer go for another couple of weeks. Then check the gravity to see if it has finished.

I have been sampling some of my last IPA recipe, quite nice. Had a raspberry flavor at first but is starting to diminish with time. How about racking into secondary? Should I bother with this, I have never done so in the past and will be picking up a glass one here in the next week.

This guy is waving a red cape at Revvy...

Cheers! ;)

maybe he's napping, too tired from all the other posts with the EXACT same 'issue'

OP, airlocks mean nothing at all. take a hydrometer reading, record the gravity. on tuesday, take another. if they match, you're beers been fermented, and it's time to LEAVE IT BE for another week or two, then bottle/keg.

If it's an imperial stout, I wouldn't even take a hydrometer reading until it's been in the primary for 3-4 weeks personally. But what others have said is true, hydrometer is the only completely reliable method of checking fermentation.

i am more confused about brewing than i was before i brewed my first batch...

So the final gravity was right where I wanted it. Waited a week or so and then checked a few days in a row with no change in FG. It's been bottles a little over a week now. I've tried a couple times and it taste great, ABV was higher than anticipated and I'm happy with that. I'll give it at least another week before I dig into it more. I have IPA to work on that is better aged for now.

So the final gravity was right where I wanted it. Waited a week or so and then checked a few days in a row with no change in FG. It's been bottles a little over a week now. I've tried a couple times and it taste great, ABV was higher than anticipated and I'm happy with that. I'll give it at least another week before I dig into it more. I have IPA to work on that is better aged for now.

:mug: glad it worked out!

a RIS will definitely take a few months or more before it really comes into it's own. brewing an IPA is a great idea, as those are best consumed young, like right after they condition in bottles. IPA's are also just d@mn tasty! :rockin:

Back