Fermentable Sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaspass

Reaction score
I’m dealing with a stuck fermentation of an RIS. Great and aggressive fermentation initially, but stopped early. So many factors that can contribute to this of course, but am wondering specifically about fermentable sugars. I pulled a sample and pitched Beano to test. My question is how reliable of a test is using Beano to determine if fermentable sugars are left? After 3 days the gravity on the sample has not changed after pitching Beano. Is it a safe conclusion that there are no fermentable sugars left? Or are there conditions where Beano may not work? I have some WLP099 I was going to make a starter with and pitch at krausen to try and finish the brew out, but I’m thinking after my Beano test nothing will happen. Thoughts?

Assuming you hit your mash temperature and expected OG... how close are you to predicted FG? Maybe it isn't a stuck fermentation after all.

I’m dealing with a stuck fermentation of an RIS. Great and aggressive fermentation initially, but stopped early. So many factors that can contribute to this of course, but am wondering specifically about fermentable sugars. I pulled a sample and pitched Beano to test. My question is how reliable of a test is using Beano to determine if fermentable sugars are left? After 3 days the gravity on the sample has not changed after pitching Beano. Is it a safe conclusion that there are no fermentable sugars left? Or are there conditions where Beano may not work? I have some WLP099 I was going to make a starter with and pitch at krausen to try and finish the brew out, but I’m thinking after my Beano test nothing will happen. Thoughts?

Numbers are critical to any discussion of a stuck ferment. What was the OG, where is the current gravity and what was the recipe so we can make a stab at a correct answer? As mentioned above, mash temperature and mash time are part of the equation too.

Some numbers. OG was 1.134. Current gravity is 1.054. Target FG is 1.040. Mash temp was 156. As I mentioned earlier though I realize there are lots of factors that can contribute to a stuck fermentation, others including grain profile of specialty malts, yeast used and pitch count and health, yeast nutrients, aeration techniques, etc. My question still remains though. Is testing with Beano a viable test to determine if there are fermentable sugars left, or are there conditions where Beano would not work with fermentable sugars present?

If those numbers are right, you are almost at 11% ABV already, it is possible your yeast are hitting their ABV limit. Beano should convert unfermentable starches into fermentable ones, so if the yeast are not working, something is up there. What type of yeast did you use?

You could try adding some table sugar to your sample, re-measure the gravity and then see if it drops from there...

I think it is possible I hit the limit of this yeast (S-04), which is why I'm willing to pitch some WLP-099 to finish it out. However I have a suspicion my fermentable sugars are gone, or something else is up, so before I go down the pitching more yeast road, I'm trying to validate there are still fermentable sugars (if possible) first. I figured a Beano test would be a simple way to do so.

I like the idea of adding some sugar to my sample to see if Beano kicks in, that would confirm simple sugars present. Then if Beano works on them, then I may not have fermentable sugars left in my batch. However if the Beano does not react, then it is something else and not a real indicator of fermentable sugars being present. Thanks for the idea!

Beano is an enzyme that breaks down unfermentable sugars and starches. It doesn't ferment sugars, it creates fermentable sugars from starches and dextrines. Using too much Beano can result in a very dry beer when a malty one was desired.

Interesting. I've been lead to believe (lots of bad info out there I acknowledge, and possibly me misinterpreting good data) is that Beano ate sugar, but really what you are saying is it breaks it down so existing yeast can chew through it better. Makes sense since it is really just an enzyme right? That would only convert. So the yeast is still eating the sugar, Beano is just breaking it down. If that is the case then after pitching simple sugar into my sample with Beano, there will be no gravity change. In fact pitching Beano will never have a gravity change unless healthy yeast is present to eat those newly formed simple sugars.

This all seems logical to me, and has me considering a new strategy for my stuck fermentation. I think what I can try is going ahead an pitching WLP099 from a starter while at krausen, that will give the yeast the best chance of chewing through what it can. If it turns out there are only complex sugars in there, then adding a little Beano would be appropriate to break that down. Possibly the newly pitched yeast could start to work then.

This is great info. Please correct me if there are issues in my logic. Thanks!

Back