Ferment temps - facts vs. myths please..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was that bad, I bet they would not have kept brewing it.

Maybe they didn't think it was all that bad at the time because they had no experience with something better.

Like, it would suck for me to live without central AC, a car and a big TV but if I had been alive 100 years ago I would not have known how bad that sucks.

I think it is interesting that the OP in this thread is ostensibly using Jamil Z as a reference for not using refrigeration in brewing. Mad respect if this is trolling. Mad "missing the forest for the trees" if it is not.

Well, actually although the methods may vary the beer is still good in many instances. For instance, open fermentation is being done by a few places in the industry and it is really amazing how well it works.

fermenter22.jpg

That doesn't get 'bugs' as you call them Mr. CM ... I still want to know what you have brewed so far, what specifically you fermented that got you a 1 degree rise in T. I asked you earlier in the thread for any evidence that you actually do brew anything and you have supplied none. It is much better to talk about actual instances here than it is to wax about someone else's theories. Starting off every other line or post with Jamil says is very caustic. Unless you are Jamil I suggest you go brew and learn by your own anecdotes and not Jamils...

Maybe they didn't think it was all that bad at the time because they had no experience with something better.

Like, it would suck for me to live without central AC, a car and a big TV but if I had been alive 100 years ago I would not have known how bad that sucks.

Yup, all depends on perspective.

Old world food sucks in general. The tomatoes tasted bitter, the corn wasn't sweet, the meats were extremely tough..

And beer? I'm sure it was just awful. They actually used to sparge with WHOLE barley. Not even crushed.

Jamil and those guys talk about stuff like 'Brew Lore'. I think doing things the 'old way' is not something to be desired.

That's just personal preference though. What do I know though..

Today I'm going to build my cold room. I also have some digital thermometers on order from China.

I want to brew beers that I can enter into competitions.

The WhiteLabs yeast is going to make it tough on me though.. (low cell count).

I'm suggesting, the more the active cell count, the higher the temperature influx.

Congrats! You are spot on. The fact that numerous others have said it before you in this thread with much less sarcasm should in no way diminish what you have accomplished.

That's what Jamil said.

OK, you need to stop quoting Jamil. First of all, most of what you are taking from him you are misquoting, taking out of context, and generally misusing. But let's operate under the assumption that I'm wrong and everything you are saying would get the Jamil personal stamp of approval. He is one guy. He gets great results and is a great resource, but he is ONE guy. If you take the number of gallons brewed and awards won of the combination of everybody you have pissed on in this thread, I guarantee it would dwarf what Jamil will ever do. Not to take anything away from him, but you are seeing things through a tunnel. Because at some point somebody once told you or you read that Jamil was THE expert, you are taking his word as gospel over a) knowledge learned yourself or b) the first hand experience everybody here is sharing.

Remember, YOU came HERE and asked for help with clarifying an issue. Every time somebody has tried to tell you the "truth" (which was what you asked for) as to their experience, you have argued and belittled. This would lead ANYBODY with half a brain to conclude that you asked the question already having a contrary answer in mind. That - by any forum subscriber anywhere on the internet - would be the definition of trolling.

You admitted you are a newbie. The fact you are using canned kits illustrates that (and I'm not belittling that. Most of us started there and there is nothing wrong with that). As a newbie who is seeking answers, ask questions and listen to the answers. Take those answers and use them in your own brewing. When you have personal experience that contradicts common sentiment, voice it. Then and only then will anybody lend credibility to what you are saying. But what you are doing is picking a fight.

How can you possibly think you are the one being wronged when you throw out snarky comments like "oh, really" and "since you have 250 gallons under your belt you should be able to tell me right away." I'm glad this thread has brought out usable info to many people, but I'm disappointed that people are continuing to try and help you despite your absolute lack of respect for their experience. Piss poor form, dude. Piss poor.

To the OP I was just talking to Jamil and he said "Your beer would taste better if you jumped off a bridge before you drank it..."

To the rest of you, Thanks for all the great info!

P.S In case you missed the sarcasm... I didn't talk to Jamil, don't even know him.

Congrats! You are spot on. The fact that numerous others have said it before you in this thread with much less sarcasm should in no way diminish what you have accomplished.

Actually it was myself that brought up the cell count stuff by peicing everything together myself. It's not the ABV necessarily (although that does play a major facot), it's also the cell count that determines the heat of the ferment.

My 1 bottle of WhiteLabs will not give me a hot ferment. There just isn't the cell count there to make it happen.

Because at some point somebody once told you or you read that Jamil was THE expert, you are taking his word as gospel over a) knowledge learned yourself or b) the first hand experience everybody here is sharing.

All I know is that he wins awards.. LOTS of them. He wins beers that go up against 300 entries.

How can you possibly think you are the one being wronged when you throw out snarky comments like "oh, really" and "since you have 250 gallons under your belt you should be able to tell me right away."

I back that statement. If someone wants to wave their sword and shield of experience, then they should have NO problem telling me what exact temps I should have ambient vs ferment for any style of beer and yeast type.

2 People answered me on this forum and another. Bobby was one of them. No one else could really answer the question.

I'm glad this thread has brought out usable info to many people, but I'm disappointed that people are continuing to try and help you despite your absolute lack of respect for their experience. Piss poor form, dude. Piss poor.

There's really helping people, and then there is spreading brew lore. The latter will lead people down the wrong path which causes them to waste time and money. This is why it's important to get correct information before people like myself spend time and money.

For instance.

This one person saved me money here. I was prepared to spend $20 with shipping on stickers for my *glass* carboys (there's another thing.. the plastic being the same as glass). Someone pointed out that he could not tell what temp Bobby's fermenters were at.

I looked and looked at Bobby's pics. That person was right. I could not make out what Bobby's temp was. Despite Jamil saying they are fine to use. The only way to reliably guage temp is digital. So I have 4 temp guages on order from China (ebay) and am only going to use digital for now on. I'm goign to use them in the mashtun, carboys, you name it.

Also, people should know that the ferment temp for an average session beer should only increase a few degrees (from what I understand and have been told by 2 people. One guy said 5 degrees at most).

People really really need to be aware of the cell count of their yeast as this effects ferment temp. Fresh dry yeast will put liquid yeast to shame in cell count.

If you want a safe, quality, fast acting liquid yeast with no starter needed, you need TWO packs of fresh WyYeast for 5 gallons. The benefit is not having to add a 1/2 gallon of starter to your ferment. There's big benefits to using 2 packs of WyYeast as compared to any other way of using yeast and it's something that maybe people should explore their next batch.

There a lot of people who brew according to brew lore. And that's great for them if they are happy with their home brew. I'm trying to figure out the science behind these things and really need numbers and facts before I spend money.

After your boil and cooldown, I really suggest pitching TWO fresh WyYeast smack packs. Don't oxygenate the wort. No starters. Don't pitch it in warm wort. Only pitch it in cool desired wort temp (Jamil said this). Also John Palmer said that the yeast will be under stress if it's too low of temp and start giving off sulphur flavors so try not to be a hero.

Bobby_M has been a huge huge help with all this and I thank him a lot for all his help. Jamil is someone who I highly respect and has also been invaluable as a source of some information. John Palmer too.

After your boil and cooldown, I really suggest pitching TWO fresh WyYeast smack packs. Don't oxygenate the wort. No starters. Don't pitch it in warm wort. Only pitch it in cool desired wort temp (Jamil said this).

why? I understand not to pitch "warm" but no oxygen is just wrong. It's not brew lore it's microbiology.

why? I understand not to pitch "warm" but no oxygen is just wrong. It's not brew lore it's microbiology.

The oxygen needs to be fed through a tank via medical equipment. It's hard to get. Jamil uses this because heh said he has friends that are dentists. It's also possible ot over oxygenate using this method.

If you feed in air to your wort, then that's fine, but it has to pass through a hepa filter or your just putting bugs into your wort. Dont oxygenation too much or it can lend to staling of the final product (according to Palmer).

Many people infect their vunerable wort by trying to oxygenate.

saying your pitching cell count effects temp is very misleading. the yeast will multiply to reach an optimal cell count in each batch depending on OG. which will up the temp the reason a proper pitch rate is a must for great beer is to avoid off flavors from stressing the yeast and not letting anything in the wort getting a foot hold before the yeast does also when making starters you dont pitch the whole 5 gallons you let it settle out and decant the liquid pitching just the slurry.

....... during the lag phase the yeast takes up amino acids and OXYGEN and builds healthy cell walls if there isnt 10ppm of O2 which both Wyeast and Whitelabs suggest the yeast will be stressed might not attenuate properly be more likely to produce fusels etc, regardless of cell count

Wait until jamil's yeast book comes out. I'm not sure how you're going to fit your own foot and jz's nuts in your mouth.

entertaining thread here.

I'll throw in that I set my fermentation fridge thermostat at "about" 62*F (it's a dial and I don't know how accurate it is). Anyway, beers in there that are done fermenting read 62*F, according to the stick-on thermometers. Beers at high kraeusen read closer to 68*F, according to stick on thermometers.

I've got some other choice words that I would like to add, but I'll refrain.

The oxygen needs to be fed through a tank via medical equipment. It's hard to get. Jamil uses this because heh said he has friends that are dentists. It's also possible ot over oxygenate using this method.

If you feed in air to your wort, then that's fine, but it has to pass through a hepa filter or your just putting bugs into your wort. Dont oxygenation too much or it can lend to staling of the final product (according to Palmer).

Or you could buy this and use oxygen from homedepot with a sanitary filter from the tank alot cheaper and also not illegal as using medical oxygen without a licesnse IS AGAINST THE LAW.

S78.JPG

edit: why would denists have oxygen seems like nitrous is more likely just a thought

saying your pitching cell count effects temp is very misleading. the yeast will multiply to reach an optimal cell count in each batch depending on OG. the reason a proper pitch rate is a must for great beer is to avoid off flavors from stressing the yeast and not letting anything in the wort getting a foot hold before the yeast does also when making starters you dont pitch the whole 5 gallons you let it settle out and decant the liquid pitching just the slurry.

....... during the lag phase the yeast takes up amino acids and OXYGEN and builds healthy cell walls if there isnt 10ppm of O2 which both Wyeast and Whitelabs suggest the yeast will be stressed might not attenuate properly be more likely to produce fusels etc, regardless of cell count

This guy picks and chooses his science. He is the Christian Scientist of the brew world. Your FACTS mean little to him. Proper cell count and oxygen are apparently lore, despite the fact that all the major (and good) breweries and all good homebrewers follow these practices. Telling him this sort of thing won't do you any good because you obviously cannot find another good source for oxygen other than Jamil's dentist, and fermentation temperatures are dependent on how much yeast you pitch. But no starters. That adds 1/2 gallon of starter to your beer. Because you can't decant liquid. Nope.

Someone should forward this whole thread to Jamil. He might explode.

This guy picks and chooses his science. He is the Christian Scientist of the brew world. Your FACTS mean little to him. Proper cell count and oxygen are apparently lore, despite the fact that all the major (and good) breweries and all good homebrewers follow these practices. Telling him this sort of thing won't do you any good because you obviously cannot find another good source for oxygen other than Jamil's dentist, and fermentation temperatures are dependent on how much yeast you pitch. But no starters. That adds 1/2 gallon of starter to your beer. Because you can't decant liquid. Nope.

Someone should forward this whole thread to Jamil. He might explode.

epic someone should LOL :tank:
I have been adding quips of My Brew Lore (science from many hours searching)
since the start of the thread. Not for him but for someone else that will have questions about this and take the thousands of gallons of collective experience to heart and find a system to control temps that works for them.
:mug:

yes. That's why I like the water bath. I can throw a bottle or two of frozen water in the bath in the morning to keep the temps down a little while the heat of the day brings up the water temp a few degrees. And then in the evening when the ambient temps cool, I can refreeze the bottles for the next day. I figure if the water bath is 62-64, the beer is probably 66 at most (I don't completely submerge the fermenter, maybe just 1/2 way)

This is basically what I started doing as well. A double slop sink in the basement allows for me to separately control to carboys.

Does everyone that does this do it mostly for that first 5-8 days (ish) of fermentation? Then let it ride?

Does everyone that does this do it mostly for that first 5-8 days (ish) of fermentation? Then let it ride?

That's what I've done and it has seemed to work well. I switch out ice bottles during the most active fermentation, then once things settle down I stop. Just a water bath and a t-shirt keep my bucket temps at least 7 or 8 degrees below ambient after the first week.

Last night Jamil came to me in a dream and told me my beer sucks... I asked him why and he told me because he had been eating too many cookies before he tried it. :cross:

Too funny...Yes, Jamil also came to me in a dream and said.... If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.....it changed my life man;)..........seriously Jamil must be laughing his ass off at this thread.

I love this one.

WTF!? Who? How many people have told you they got infections from oxygenating? Do you even know any other brewers? Actually, you have to try really damn hard to get your beer infected, it is not happening to "many" people at all.

Keep it going man, this is entertaining. I can't believe how much you're pulling out of your @ss!

C'mon you guys. I like Jamil. He's a cool guy, and very nice to all of us. He's laid back, and will be embarrassed by this. Don't insult Jamil by lumping him in with this #1 fan of his.

All I know is that he wins awards.. LOTS of them. He wins beers that go up against 300 entries.

The last competition I was at, there were 750 entries. Jamil didn't win (in fact he wasn't even there), but some guy did. I guess I should have told him he needs to do a Podcast right away, because he is clearly the King of all Brewers!

Also, pretty much everyone here isn't brewing to "win awards." If anything people enter competitions to get constructive (I purposefully avoided using the word professional) criticisms of their beers and how to improve them.

If you're in it to win things, than more power to you. For me, I like the beer I make, I feel my process is sound, and I love the whole process of growing my own hops, creating a recipe, and enjoying a relaxing day of brewing.

Trying hard to stay away but.....

He wins beers that go up against 300 entries.

Huh. I've only won medals. I need to find the comps where you win other peoples beer. Ha! All ur inferior beer are belong to me!

If you want a safe, quality, fast acting liquid yeast with no starter needed, you need TWO packs of fresh WyYeast for 5 gallons. The benefit is not having to add a 1/2 gallon of starter to your ferment. There's big benefits to using 2 packs of WyYeast as compared to any other way of using yeast and it's something that maybe people should explore their next batch.

Have you ever done this? I have. An active starter, with one pack of Wyeast in it has had far shorter lag times and more vigorous ferments. But what do I know? I only figured this out for myself by actually brewing, not from some podcast.

I've deleted my comment because it can easily be mistaken as an insult to Jamil.

Unfortunately, it's been quoted twice, and I can't remove those instances of it.

I love this guy. He starts out saying Jamil says to ferment your beers at room temp, now he is saying that Jamil says don't make a starter and don't oxygenate your beer unless you know a dentist.

Great stuff.

I love this guy. He starts out saying Jamil says to ferment your beers at room temp, now he is saying that Jamil says don't make a starter and don't oxygenate your beer unless you know a dentist.

Great stuff.

You forgot the impromptu excursion into the territory of proper cleaning methods. :confused:

Great stuff.

Yeah. I remember dentists' gas being much more fun than oxygen.

Back