Fermenatation still going after 3 months....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1n

Reaction score
So i brewed a sour saison last year at the end of October. I pitched the yeastbay sour saison blend and some brett L.

Its been almost 3 months and im still getting a consistent 2 bubbles in the airlock every minute. Its been like this the last couple months. i figured it would die down by now but this thing just wont quit. Its been sitting at low 70s room temp for 3 months.

i have not opened the fermenting bottle once since i pitched. No gravity reading since i have not opened it up yet. i can see in the bottle and have not had a pelicle at all due to 0 oxygen in the fermentor.

i was going to dry hop at the 3 month mark but now im thinking maybe at 4 months.... anyone ever had fermentation still going this far along before?

I'd give it a taste and a gravity reading. Airlocks aren't a reliable gauge of fermentation.

yeah, likely could just be off-gassing. Only way to tell is to take a reading, maybe another one after 1-2 weeks. If they are stable, maybe try dry hopping and waiting another week. At this point, I highly doubt its gonna take off and drop significantly

I'd give it a taste and a gravity reading. Airlocks aren't a reliable gauge of fermentation.

True, but its been at this pace for the last 2 months.

I took a gravity reading and its high. its at 1.020

Tasted it and its tart and sour but i can taste the sweetness in it.

PH of the beer is 3.01

i calibrated the PH Meter before testing the beer to make sure its accurate.

i wrapped the fermentor with a heat mat to see if that helps take it down a bit more. I'm pretty sure its still fermenting cause if it was just gassing off it would have slowed by now. either way ima let this one go til the gravity is lower. there is brett in there so hopefully it will take it down a bit more.

heya buddy -

i was going to dry hop at the 3 month mark but now im thinking maybe at 4 months.... anyone ever had fermentation still going this far along before?

brett can't read a calendar... don't try to impose one :mug:

I took a gravity reading and its high. its at 1.020

Tasted it and its tart and sour but i can taste the sweetness in it.

PH of the beer is 3.01

i wrapped the fermentor with a heat mat to see if that helps take it down a bit more. I'm pretty sure its still fermenting cause if it was just gassing off it would have slowed by now. either way ima let this one go til the gravity is lower. there is brett in there so hopefully it will take it down a bit more.
brett will certainly get that lower, we just don't know how long it'll take. heat mat will make the brett happier but isn't required. it'll do fine in the low 70's. and i'm with ya, pretty sure that's active fermentation.

given how much gravity is in thre, and how slow brett can be in secondary, i'd tuck this one away and not touch it until you get to the 6 month mark (or longer).

Back