Fellowship of the Homebrew X: Thou Shalt Enjoy the Homebrew and Hangover!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@camonick this beer is excellent. I'm about to make a kveik one soon. I may need some pointers from you.

View attachment 669741
Once it starts fermenting, dont let it cool till its done otherwise it will slow way down. Other than that the yeast is amazing. My black ipa that won our first quarter comp was 8 days grain to glass, fermented at 85, and at fg within 56 hours. If you want any esters, under pitch and run in the 90s

Seems like a good place to ask. Im looking for a good, true to style RIS recipe. Any one able to help me out? Its our clubs 3rd quarter internal comp, so im hoping to brew it in a month or so.
@BrewMan13 can most likely help you out. To be honest the dark beers and stouts he makes are better than most of the top breweries for the style. Not even blowing smoke

Seems like a good place to ask. Im looking for a good, true to style RIS recipe. Any one able to help me out? Its our clubs 3rd quarter internal comp, so im hoping to brew it in a month or so.

@BrewMan13 can most likely help you out. To be honest the dark beers and stouts he makes are better than most of the top breweries for the style. Not even blowing smoke

Wow, thanks for the amazing complement @Dgallo! Those styles are my specialty and I would love to help out. I'll just drop a quick response now as I'm leaving shortly, but I can provide more details and answers to other questions later today or tomorrow. Anyway, off the top of my head:
Don't be afraid of the roast. Every porter and stout I do has a minimum of 10% dark (not debittered) grains; I target 10-12% total for black patent, roasted barley, chocolate; don't worry about astringency, you'll be fine. Pay attention to water chemistry and pH. I shoot for the high end of pH 5.5-5.6, and generally follow either the black - balanced or black - full profile on bru'n water depending. I also use baking soda to buffer the pH to counteract the acidity from the dark malts. This seems easier to me than the pickling lime some people use, and has the added benefit of adding Na which provides some flavor and mouthfeel enhancement.
Cheers!

Finally getting to the last (beer) offering from @yoop89. Not going to lie, I can't handle the brett in this guy. Do appreciate the work and time that went into it though.
20200307_205256.jpeg

Finally getting to the last (beer) offering from @yoop89. Not going to lie, I can't handle the brett in this guy. Do appreciate the work and time that went into it though.

That’s still good feedback! A month or two ago I could barely detect the Brett. Finally getting around to bottle the last gallon that has been bulk aging.

Glad you enjoyed the rest!

I’ve got my pipeline pretty well full at this point. I’m guessing with the current state of the world, the next round of this might be put off a bit? Just curious as I’m really looking forward to participating

Last edited:
I’ve got my pipeline pretty well full at this point. I’m guessing with the current state of the world, the next round of this might be put off a bit? Just curious as I’m really looking forward to participating

So usually the member who was fortunate enough to get the first pick gets the honor of organizing and running the next round. That would be up to @orionol73

So usually the member who was fortunate enough to get the first pick gets the honor of organizing and running the next round. That would be up to @orionol73

Correct and I've been slow playing this since we had the FOTD going and then obviously the current worldly situation. Please speak up if you have not received your shipment yet. I can get another rolling if people are interested now, or whenever we drum up the interest

Back