Fellowship of the Home Brew I: The Hops are Strong with this one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been trolling this thread the whole time, might be a late commit tomorrow, have to decide to sheet or get off the pot!

I've been doing the same thing. My wife told me I should do it, but I'm not sure they're good enough for you guys. And I don't have any IPAs or stouts right now.

I've been doing the same thing. My wife told me I should do it, but I'm not sure they're good enough for you guys. And I don't have any IPAs or stouts right now.

Yeah I'm going to watch and see how this goes. I have 4 on tap and 2 more to keg today along with one I'm brewing now but not sure if they will meet other people's expectations.

Yeah I'm going to watch and see how this goes. I have 4 on tap and 2 more to keg today along with one I'm brewing now but not sure if they will meet other people's expectations.

Do it, as long as they are not drain pours, they should be fine. I'm pretty sure that most of us are a little nervous about some of our beers.

In so Far:
1) PianoMan
2) jerbrew
3) JDXX1971 - Offer Submitted
4) Scturo - Offer Submitted
5) imasickboy - Offer Submitted
6) fourfarthing - Offer Submitted
7) TwistedGray - Offer Submitted
8) Thorrak - Offer Submitted
9) cegan09
10) Brizzo - Offer Submitted
11) RevKev - Offer Submitted

Do it, as long as they are not drain pours, they should be fine. I'm pretty sure that most of us are a little nervous about some of our beers.

Well, I never waste alcohol so I never have drain pours!! @Pianoman if your willing to have me I'll get in. If I'm accepted do you need pics of brown amber bottles or just descriptions? If I'm too late that's fine also.

Well, I never waste alcohol so I never have drain pours!! @Pianoman if your willing to have me I'll get in. If I'm accepted do you need pics of brown amber bottles or just descriptions? If I'm too late that's fine also.

Your in and I don't really need pics! I won't be posting pictures of bottles, but if pics come in with beer in a glass I'll probably post them.

I'm contacting @cegan09 about this..may need 1 more @GaBrewZoo.

Let me know. It'll take me about 10 minutes to get you a picture and descriptions.

YOU are in man. Ill have the offers up tomorrow by noon or so. Thanks for everyone who stuck in.....it's like a spiritual experience. In a way we're offering our hearts and souls to eachother. Kudos to ALL!

I thought that, I mean I am a novice brewer and all. But I like my beer (some better than others) and will appreciate the feedback from who ever gets it.

Aren't we all novice brewers? I'm in the same boat. I like most of my beers. But I'm offering up an interesting "fail" for fun.

Official Participants:
1) PianoMan
2) jerbrew
3) JDXX1971
4) Scturo
5) imasickboy
6) fourfarthing
7) TwistedGray
8) Thorrak
9) TBC
10) Brizzo
11) RevKev
12) GaBrewZoo

Official Offers:

1) PianoMan :
- Raspberry Hard Lemonade, 6.5%. 1 Bomber (bottled 7/15/17, not very carb'ed and a bit sweet, at least to me)
- Chocolate English Porter, Designed to be a London Fuller Clone 6%. 2 bottles. (bottled 6/25/17)
- Cherry Dubbel, used tart cherries, 7.4%. 1 bottle. (bottled 7/1/17)
- English RIS w/Bourbon, vanilla, coffee, cinnamon, peppers, 1st attempt at Epic's Big Bad Baptista, 11%. 2 bottles (bottled 7/29/17)
- 1st NEIPA attempt. Used Columbus, ElDorado, Citra on the Porter yeast cake (British Ale 1098), 5.5% 1 bomber (Bottled 7/10/17, a bit odd flavor for sure, hops are going away unfortunatly)

=================================================================================================

2) Jerbrew:
Beer 1: chinook, Columbus, centennial, cascade IPA
I really like this beer came out really good. Aroma dissipated as flavors melded. Chinook was intense. To drink quickly I'll go back to simcoe next batch. 2 bottles

Beer 2: mimosa saison.
I think this beer was a success considering the experimentation. I used orange and lemon in the mash so pH adjustments were s but off. However, the zest of orange and lemon together with a simple saison grain bill, sorachi ace, nandarina, and some white labs vault yeast made one of my favorite saisons to date. 1 bottle.

Beer 3: English Dark Mild.
Inspired by a local brewery innate a dark mild. My first real attempt at a cksssif English ale. Fuggles and all. The beer came out amazing. Well, after I added a lb of amber DME. The original was thin. But after a secondary ferment it is now amazing. Next batch will have extra MO and some darkish English crystal. 2 bottles.

Beer 4: this one is funny. Was supposed to be a Porter. But........, my sanitation for keg fermenting obviously needs some work. I fermented in the same keg as the saison in beer 2. Didn't clean well I guess. The beer is very...saisony. I would call it s dark farmhouse style but it's not the intent. I'm including it to get real feedback since I can't do anything but hate it since it came out weird. 2 bottles cuz I have 5 gallons and in case you like it.

Maybe 5: if this gets done you'll get an interesting cider with dregs from various things. Most of note is jester king beers. My intent is to put some prickly pears in it this weekend.

===================================================================================================

3) JDXX1941
- #1 a variation of Yooper's Oatmeal Stout 5.0%
- #2 a variation of a Power Pack Porter 6.3%
- #3 my Red seal Ale clone (shh) 5.9%
- #4 a Gaelic Ale clone found on BS 6.2%
- #5 Martinelli's apple cider with wlp775 7.5%
- #6 a variation of Fruitcake Old Ale 9.5%

=====================================================================================================

4) Scturo
- 1) Maple-Bourbon Fidy (2 12oz Bottles) - A brew based on Ten Fidy with Oak Aged Bourbon and @Brizzo's Maple Syrup
added. Brewed on 7/28/2017 so it needs some time But is already tasty.
- 2) Say Hello to My Little NEIPA (Bomber) - A Hazy brew that is Hopped with Mosaic, Nelson, and Citra giving it a Tropical
apricot flavor. Brewed on 6/29/2017 so it's a little old but is still holding its still as giid as ever.
- 3) Afpelwein (Bomber) - A clean, crisp apple Cider made with QA23 that is 9 months old, so is taking on a smooth
Chardonnay flavor. You also have the option of carbonated or Non-carbonated.
- 4) Hoegaarden (12oz Bottle) - Classic Belgian Wit flavored with Coriander and Orange Peel. Brewed on 5/25/017.

- Extra: Also including a FOTD bottle opener made by Pointcity Homebrew and a Batman Coaster.

=====================================================================================================

5) imasickboy
4 12 oz. bottles of Death by Simcoe, (not pictured, still in the fermenter):
59% Pilsner
26.2% Vienna
13.1% Munich
1.6% Crystal 60
1 pound of Simcoe per 5 gallons
OG 1.066
----------
1 750mL of Cinnamon Vanilla Metheglin
50% Orange Blossom honey
50% Clover honey
1 cinnamon stick per gallon
1 vanilla bean per gallon
OG 1.138
----------
1 quart homemade sauerkraut
Cabbage
Salt
Caraway seed
This kraut is fridge kept, so the lacto in the juice is still alive. This could be useful if you want to add a "starter" to your own veggie ferments or if you wish to sour a beer.

6) fourfarthing
- 1) Harry - a robust porter bottled in fall 2016. My favorite of all of my beers. I have 6 of these left. Loosely based on an
Everett clone recipe with the roasted malts cold steeped and added to the boil.

- 2) Paddington - a Farmhouse Saison. Mixed fermented wheat/pilsner farmhouse beer. 50/50 pitch of 3711 and Yeast Bay
Amalgamation. Cascade hops. If you like Brett, this is up your alley. The Brett came off bigger than I wanted, but I
enjoy this.

- 3) Winter - a winter warmer bottled last winter. This is another favorite where I have kept a few around, though less of
these. Isolation Ale clone, with few if any changes.

- 4) Sophie Demi - a New England Pale Ale. Bittered CTZ and all El Dorado thereafter. Two dry hop additions. This is my
version of an NEIPA that you can drink a couple of and not wake up in the lawn.

- 5) Blank - This space is reserved for either my dark mild or standard saison which are currently bottle conditioning.
Winner gets to pick (or take both in lieu of one of the above).

======================================================================================================

7) TwistedGray
1. Shame on Me, Shame on You
This was an attempt at a new style of beer which turned out ... not so good. Heed all of the warnings on the bottle,
and drink at your own risk! Basically, I would like to know what went wrong, and curious to here what you think went
wrong. The beer itself, if that matters, is an Imperial Stout with various flavors introduced post production.

2. Mexican Imperial/Aztec Stout
You can read about it here; it's been aged for a little more than a year now.
(https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=584141)

3. Raspberry & Alpine Mint Wheat
Pretty much your standard wheat beer (similar to a Blue Moon), but when racked to secondary I added my
homegrown raspberries and my homegrown alpine mint (super strong variety).

4. Where's Waldo Wheat
Same stock as #3 except this one includes all of the varieties of wheat I was making so flavors include:
raspberry, mint, strawberry, banana, rhubarb, and pomegranate.

5. Strawberry - Banana Wheat
Same stock as #3. This was racked on to a bed of strawberries and overly ripe bananas. It has a pungent banana
smell (at least the I tried) and a hint of banana strawberry, quite unique. Image available here, albeit sideways.

6 - I have another batch going now, and the yeast was pitched Saturday evening. It is currently fermenting
and probably won't be done until the 13th. I'm not sure I'll have this one complete in time because of my
work travel schedule but if so I'll include that.

7 - Mystery Beer - Will discuss with receiver in private message.

======================================================================================================

8) Thorrak
- 1) "Sandy IPA" - My attempt at an IPA recipe that was in Zymurgy awhile back. Caveat bibitor - this one is carbing
now and hasn't been tasted!

- 2) "Awesomest" Chipotle Porter - I didn't pick the name, but it's a pretty good beer. Little bit of heat for
those who like that kind of thing.

- 3) Base Porter - We decided to brew a batch of "Awesomest" without adding the chilis. It's an interesting
comparison to see what the peppers add! Also currently carbing, but I've done this recipe enough that I trust it
to be palatable.

- 4) Apple Cyser - They don't call NY the Empire State for nothing. Made with locally sourced apple juice,
this was my first attempt at a cyser and just happens to be pretty tasty.

- Extra: I'm also including a small project for the DIY home brewer that isn't afraid of a little electrical work. No
soldering!

=======================================================================================================

9) TBC
- Gingerbread brown ale, scored a 37 out of 50 at NHC
- RIS
- NEIPA dryhopped with Citra and Mosaic
- Cider fermented with safbrew-33

========================================================================================================

10) Brizzo
- Flanders Red on Sour Cherries
- A Sour Saison on Maine Peaches
- A Lambic Style on Mangoes and Pineapple
- NEIPA with Columbus, Simcoe, Mosiac, Citra and Galaxy

========================================================================================================

11) RevKev

12) GaBrewZoo
- Wheat/Rye Ale- My recipe was for my daughters wedding, went over real well. This version has a higher ABV at 6.3%.

- Peach Berliner Weisse- I forgot to add my acid malt at the end of the mash, and only ended up at about 2.5% ABV.
Tastes really good though.

- Amber Ale- SWMBOs beer. A low hopped malty beer. 6.6% ABV

- Cucumber Saison- The cucumber wasn't very noticeable early. Cucumber flavor is now coming through much
better, but not overpowering. 7.5% ABV

Here are the pictures some of you sent. Thought I'd keep it separate as to not muddle the descriptions...awesome work Brizzo!! :)

Brizzo:
Brizzo2.JPG

fourfarthing:
fourfarthing.jpg

GaBrewZoo:
GaBrewZoo.jpg

imasickboy:
imasickboy.jpg

Thorrak:
Thorrak.jpg

Scturo:
Scturo.jpg

TwistedGray's Raspberry Mint Wheat:
TwistedGray.jpg

The Pick list has arrived!
Times are for 8/16 CST draw.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Random Sequence Generator

Here is your sequence:

5 imasickboy - 7:30pm
4 Scturo - 7:35pm
6 fourfarthing - 7:40pm
8 Thorrak - 7:45pm
12 GaBrewZoo - 7:50pm
7 TwistedGray - 7:55pm
9 TBC - 8:00pm
1 PianoMan - 8:05pm
11 RevKev - 8:10pm
3 JDXX1971 - 8:15pm
10 Brizzo - 8:20pm
2 jerbrew - 8:25pm
Timestamp: 2017-08-13 11:09:21 UTC

Picking near the top is not easy. It's too easy to feel like you're missing out on something great by not picking it. Plus, I suck at decisions. It's going to be a long couple of days.

To be honest, I don't think there's a single offer I'd be unhappy with. My only requirement was picking an offer that had an IPA in it (because I want to compare against the one I've attempted). Not a hard requirement to meet this round ;)

One thing of note - whoever picks my offer may have to wait a week or so for it to be shipped. I'm not going to be able to ship it until either the 21st or 28th depending on how it tastes. Doing this round blind, unfortunately!

7) TwistedGray
1. Shame on Me, Shame on You
This was an attempt at a new style of beer which turned out ... not so good. Heed all of the warnings on the bottle,
and drink at your own risk! Basically, I would like to know what went wrong, and curious to here what you think went
wrong. The beer itself, if that matters, is an Imperial Stout with various flavors introduced post production.

2. Mexican Imperial/Aztec Stout
You can read about it here; it's been aged for a little more than a year now.
(https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=584141)

3. Raspberry & Alpine Mint Wheat
Pretty much your standard wheat beer (similar to a Blue Moon), but when racked to secondary I added my
homegrown raspberries and my homegrown alpine mint (super strong variety).

4. Where's Waldo Wheat
Same stock as #3 except this one includes all of the varieties of wheat I was making so flavors include:
raspberry, mint, strawberry, banana, rhubarb, and pomegranate.

5. Strawberry - Banana Wheat
Same stock as #3. This was racked on to a bed of strawberries and overly ripe bananas. It has a pungent banana
smell (at least the I tried) and a hint of banana strawberry, quite unique. Image available here, albeit sideways.

6 - I have another batch going now, and the yeast was pitched Saturday evening. It is currently fermenting
and probably won't be done until the 13th. I'm not sure I'll have this one complete in time because of my
work travel schedule but if so I'll include that.

7 - Mystery Beer - Will discuss with receiver in private message.

#6 will be bottled and ready to go. Updated information:

6. Pour it on the Table - PA
I don't even know where to begin with this, but in short I would call it a pale ale table beer. You might call it something different :mug: It comes in with very low ABV (2.75%) making it a drinkable beer for breakfast. I'll toss in two or three bottles or perhaps a bomber or two.

Def easier picking at bottom- I'll prob throw some hb helles in as well and if my hops ripen soon I'll toss in some hb wet hop ale.

Agreed.. darn some of you guys have a lot of variety. I will get a brew day done and hopefully send a new brew too if not I have too much C60..

Latest posts

Back