Fellowship of the Home Brew I: The Hops are Strong with this one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking of doing a beer specifically to help test/calibrate my hydrometer/refractometer measurements and I'm at a loss for what brew. Anyone have any recipes that have worked for them, or suggestions of what to try? The only stipulation is that the expected OG needs to be between 1.07 and 1.10. (I found a cheap narrow range hydrometer on Amazon that covers 1.06 to 1.13, but want to give it some room on both ends, just in case.

If someone is messaging me, the mobil app sucks and I cant read PMs. I'll be back on my computer the 9th. So not ignoring you. fyi.

I'm thinking of doing a beer specifically to help test/calibrate my hydrometer/refractometer measurements and I'm at a loss for what brew. Anyone have any recipes that have worked for them, or suggestions of what to try? The only stipulation is that the expected OG needs to be between 1.07 and 1.10. (I found a cheap narrow range hydrometer on Amazon that covers 1.06 to 1.13, but want to give it some room on both ends, just in case.

Saison. 90% pils 10% flaked grain of choice. An ounce sorachi ace/saaz/favorite noble hop at 60 and FO. Any/favorite saison yeast. Simple and tasty, done in a week and easy to make 1.070. If you're feeling saucy add some good quality honey to boost SG. The simple sugars will help you get a low end hydro reading too.

Was worried about my bottled NEIPA. So I tasted one yesterday, and it hasn't gone bad since bottling. So now I just have to get my last brew bottled, and I'll submit my offer.

Saison. 90% pils 10% flaked grain of choice. An ounce sorachi ace/saaz/favorite noble hop at 60 and FO. Any/favorite saison yeast. Simple and tasty, done in a week and easy to make 1.070. If you're feeling saucy add some good quality honey to boost SG. The simple sugars will help you get a low end hydro reading too.

Sounds like a plan - brew is underway now!

2017-08-05 22.13.57.jpg

Im not sure any IPAs will be sent out myself.

[emoji23]

I’m not sure the IPA is as I thought it would be or if it will leave my house. A bit of QC may be implemented.

I’ve not been able to brew a second one either, never mind a 3rd or 4th.

Is this because of oxidation in the bottle? I had the same issues when I bottle conditioned. I switched to keg conditioning and BierMunchers bottling method and they've gotten a lot better.

Is this because of oxidation in the bottle? I had the same issues when I bottle conditioned. I switched to keg conditioning and BierMunchers bottling method and they've gotten a lot better.

I force carb in the keg. I will say that I definitely have oxidation because of suck back from cold crashing. I think my main issue is that it’s just too juicy. After all, I did put pineapple juice in it. I need to pinpoint what my gripe really is.

Keggorator died. It's more because of age, see when I get back from Oregon on Wednesday.

It’s definitely juicy. I don’t know, there are no oxidized off flavors or aroma. Maybe it’s the pineapple juice with the bitterness. Or that it’s 11.4% and is a bit hot. Don’t get me wrong. It’s good, just not world class.

I’m really hoping to get another batch in. I’m just way behind the curve as usual.

After brewing up the saison recipe suggested by @jerbrew , the verdict is in --

The refractometer seems to have been the most correct. Here's what I measured across all my equipment:

Hydrometer: 1.070 (adjusted from 1.068 @ 76F)
Precision Hydrometer:1.072 (Adjusted from 1.070 @ 76F)
Refractometer: 1.071 (17.3 Brix)
Digital Hydrometer: 1.0798

So yeah. Time to read the manual and figure out how to calibrate.

I just realized I likely won't have a third offering. Unless I inspect and keg the 3 gallons of 13% imperial stout. But I half planned on conditioning on oak so idk

I just realized I likely won't have a third offering. Unless I inspect and keg the 3 gallons of 13% imperial stout. But I half planned on conditioning on oak so idk

There's still time. I'm sure waiting for something to age a bit on oak won't deter many from an offer. We all know that sometimes things need some extra love. :ban:

I’m out guys. Sorry. I only have 1 beer and consider it subpar.

Sorry to hear that. Get to brewing for next time. :mug:

There's still time before actual shipping. It's ok to have 2 bottles of the same brew. Try soaking oak in bourbon for a week then add...just a suggestion.

In so Far:
1) PianoMan
2) @jerbrew
3) @JDXX1971
4) @Scturo - Offer Submitted
5) @imasickboy
6) @fourfarthing - Offer Submitted
7) @TwistedGray - Offer Submitted
8) @Thorrak
9) @cegan09
10) @brizzo
11) @RevKev

Current participants, offers due tomorrow! Can't wait!!

Hopefully so. Finding time is hard sometimes with a crazy job and 3 kids that are 4 and under. I usually think I can do it but it’s hard with more than 1 kind.

There's still time before actual shipping. It's ok to have 2 bottles of the same brew. Try soaking oak in bourbon for a week then add...just a suggestion.

I've had Hungarian oak soaking in bourbon for around may? I forgot I planned on doing this a long long time ago

There's still time. I'm sure waiting for something to age a bit on oak won't deter many from an offer. We all know that sometimes things need some extra love. :ban:

Sorry to hear that. Get to brewing for next time. :mug:

Yeah I think I may do that because my DIPA is the only other offering besides hibiscus saison and the stout was definitely the best I've done this year

I’m out guys. Sorry. I only have 1 beer and consider it subpar.

That juicy IPA looked interesting. Especially with the addition of pineapple juice. I would still offer up. They may not be as bad as you're thinking, plus the feedback might help with future brews. A couple of mine are a little older than I'd like, so I'm giving brew dates. No drain pours, .. I think.

I've been trolling this thread the whole time, might be a late commit tomorrow, have to decide to sheet or get off the pot!

Back