Fellowship of the Drink XII: The Bad News Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just heard about these bottle shipping containers called crafty shippers. They look pretty cool. You can get 10 for $20 on amazon. Kind of pricey. Has anyone else tried them?

So if you live in CA and the brewery is in NY, you'll do the distance from CA to NY x2 (there and back)?

That is correct, I would have calculated the mileage to get there and to get home unless I moved to NY in the process then it's just a one-way. Therefore, you could half the number if you want one-way mileage.

I'm going to politely bow out. I'd crucify that number. I'm looking at 35,000+ miles, easy, using that metric.

You're screwed by default. I live in Montana. EVERYTHING is forever away. Plus, I didn't realize with my last offer that there was the LOT thread going on so I put local stuff in my offer. This time I'm putting stuff from all over. Did I mention I visit Asia quite often? I've got a pile of beer from Vietnam. Let's do this. I think I could get over 100,000 miles with 6 beers.

Edit - I'm not putting my beers from Vietnam in this trade! I'll still be averaging about 5,000 miles per beer, using that math.

You're screwed by default. I live in Montana. EVERYTHING is forever away. Plus, I didn't realize with my last offer that there was the LOT thread going on so I put local stuff in my offer. This time I'm putting stuff from all over. Did I mention I visit Asia quite often? I've got a pile of beer from Vietnam. Let's do this. I think I could get over 100,000 miles with 6 beers.

Edit - I'm not putting my beers from Vietnam in this trade! I'll still be averaging about 5,000 miles per beer, using that math.

I love Vietnam; was there earlier this year :) I can't for the life of me remember anything but rice lagers though.

I love Vietnam; was there earlier this year :) I can't for the life of me remember anything but rice lagers though.

Do you go to HCM often? If so, check out Pasteur Street Brewing in district 1. The head brewer from Upslope moved there and opened a brewery a few years back.

I’ll ensure he has to ship to NYC again. No worries.

D$ck

Do you go to HCM often? If so, check out Pasteur Street Brewing in district 1. The head brewer from Upslope moved there and opened a brewery a few years back.

Unfortunately not. We have offices in Thailand and Vietnam, but if anything I'll go to HQ in France instead. The Asian offices are in a different business unit than myself, unfortunately. I just really love Vietnamese food so we went to Vietnam (and Thailand).

I have some plum wine in the fridge. IDK where it came from but I drove like 5 whole miles to get it!

I have too much wine (seems to be a common thing, excess), and I think we'll suspend our memberships for a year or so rather than continuously cellaring everything. About to hit a one income household while wife goes back to school, so we (read: I) are seeing where we can/should cut back. Multiple wine memberships and maid service are on the chopping block ... wine goes first...I am not going to clean my own filth.

I have too much wine (seems to be a common thing, excess), and I think we'll suspend our memberships for a year or so rather than continuously cellaring everything. About to hit a one income household while wife goes back to school, so we (read: I) are seeing where we can/should cut back. Multiple wine memberships and maid service are on the chopping block ... wine goes first...I am not going to clean my own filth.
Oh man that sounds terrible! I can’t say that I have ever had to let my maid go and never will because I don’t think I will ever have one haha. You don’t have to clean your filth just embrace it!

I wish I could travel for work. A couple of people in my office got to go to a training class in Boston for a week last month. My job requires me to stay here though.

I wish I could travel for work. A couple of people in my office got to go to a training class in Boston for a week last month. My job requires me to stay here though.

It's highly overrated. I'm traveling three times this month. Sucks when you have kids (6 & 2) at home.

It sounds great. Even when living it.

It sucks. If you have family at home, all the sights and breweries and meals and.... it just isn’t worth it. It sucks.

Extras for FotD only make up so much.

It sounds great. Even when living it.

It sucks. If you have family at home, all the sights and breweries and meals and.... it just isn’t worth it. It sucks.

Extras for FotD only make up so much.

This. 100% this.

I think it sounds alluring to those who haven’t done it. I also think folks who travel like once a year for work probably enjoy it. But, when you do it all the time, it sucks.

Last edited:
someone needs to rethink thier priorities! [emoji39]

I can go on record for @fourfarthing saying there is nothing wrong with his priorities. In fact, I’d bet his priorities are his kids and family and so he makes the travel sacrifice in order to provide them with the type of lives he wants them all to have.

I agree with him 100% and it sounds like I’m in a very similar situation. My kids and wife are number 1. All of the business travel is merely a means to justify that end.

Back