Fellowship of the Drink VII: The Drinkers Awaken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like both make a wish threads have about died as well.

Saddest to see gone is the BIF, but the last few I sent.... pointing out the thread to the recipient... never showed up.

So whats the deal? PPl get ahold of the beers they want to try then quit? Truly great beers seem to be farther and farther in between. IDK, just a thought.

I like FotD because I get beers I haven't had that aren't on anyone's list of must-try beers. Mostly normal stuff, that's usually really good, but not on the BA-flavor-of-the-month list. I'm not in this for the big dogs. When I do want something in particular, I just ask the appropriate person if they can send some to me. But I dig this for the normal stuff that I'd never know to seek out.

I like FotD because I get beers I haven't had that aren't on anyone's list of must-try beers. Mostly normal stuff, that's usually really good, but not on the BA-flavor-of-the-month list. I'm not in this for the big dogs. When I do want something in particular, I just ask the appropriate person if they can send some to me. But I dig this for the normal stuff that I'd never know to seek out.

This.

Plus y'all have been super generous and overpack the boxes!

Yeah, been on a brewing kick lately but mostly lower ABV stuff for summer. Not sure it's worthy to share.

pfff. My best homebrews are low ABV. I enjoy the small ones. It's a nice break from all the huge commercial ones that I seem to love drinking. If it was aged in a barrel, and not sour, I want to drink it. Homebrew gives my liver and kidneys a much needed break.

My last three or four brews have been under 5%, mainly to offset the 8% stuff at the store. That said, two have definitely been amongst some of my better beers so far.

Amen to that! Noticed i'm thinking quicker also. Speaking of thinking, thinking about brewing a 12% Big Bad Baptist clone this coming week. So much for the "liver" cleanse!

+1

I just weighed out grains for a 1.078 IPA with a pound of Simcoe...because I can.

I just hope it doesn't suck. It'll be an adventure to brew, anyway.

I’m going to purchase a ticket for the next hoof release.

https://www.facebook.com/events/243996626092775??ti=ia

If someone would like, I can purchase a proxy ticket and will mule it for you. We can discuss the details offline if interested. First come first serve as I can only get 1 extra ticket and won’t break up an allotment to different shopping boxes.

I really want to send y'all homebrew. I'm just a lazy ahole. Ever since I started kegging, getting things setup to bottle is so easily put off that by the time I get around to it I'm out of beer. Too many friends come over and drink my beer, good problem to have. That said, I recently convinced my fiancé I need to "practice" more for some beers we're serving at the wedding next May. I love the idea of something involving homebrew and would love some critiques from y'all. I'll also need to "get rid of" more beer. In fact brewing two batches on the fourth so I'll make sure to bottle some and include them into the next round.

I'd also go in on a thread with someone for HB exchange. As in, come up with some rules and I'll be the first to ship to the creator. See if we can get that rolling. Trading always draws me back to the LOT thread. Time to go see if that's alive.

I like the idea of a pure home brew trade. The HBs I've received have been really good. I guess I would have to step up my brew schedule to be able to participate. I usually only two HBs on hand at a time. Then again I can always peel the label off of a couple of store bought beers....:mug:

Well I got a ****-ton of bottled HB right now. All at various levels of drink-ability. I'd be happy to set up a thread and post. I'd give it at least 3 weeks before we pick. I'd shoot for at least 8 participants with a minimum of 4 home brews. What do ya think?

Well I got a ****-ton of bottled HB right now. All at various levels of drink-ability. I'd be happy to set up a thread and post. I'd give it at least 3 weeks before we pick. I'd shoot for at least 8 participants with a minimum of 4 home brews. What do ya think?

In.:mug:

+1 as long as I get solid feedback on my hb.

Yep, that is what I am looking for also. Also friends to share with. I chased most of my "friends" off years ago when my lifestyle changed. Now most of the ones I would even talk to anymore are completely "sober" sheesh.... Everything in moderation,even moderation right?

Someone set it up

That is ... less I drink it all :)

20170702_143558.jpg

It might take me a while to get 4 different homebrews but I could have 2 in three weeks.

Thoughts on the homebrew trade:

Three weeks works for me, but you might want to make it four or five to give folks more time for the first round.

Some other things:
  • Four beers sounds reasonable, but not necessarily four different beers.
  • Maybe only four beers, no more? Keep shipping low.
  • Sending primed, but not yet carbed bottles should be considered acceptable, provided a bottling date is marked on the bottle.
  • No commercial beer allowed.
  • Provide useful feedback on the beers.
  • itrader feedback strongly encouraged.

I'd also like to make a request for folks to limit the offers of sours. It's a set of styles that are very polarizing, and many just won't drink them, and seriously limits the potential for your offer being chosen. I've noticed an increasing number of them being offered in the FotD, and they always go straight to the bottom of my list, because I'm one of those who just don't like them.

Anyway, I think that's all I can think of for now.

Three weeks works for me, but you might want to make it four or five to give folks more time for the first round.

Some other things:
  • Sending primed, but not yet carbed bottles should be considered acceptable, provided a bottling date is marked on the bottle.

I'd also like to make a request for folks to limit the offers of sours. It's a set of styles that are very polarizing, and many just won't drink them, and seriously limits the potential for your offer being chosen. I've noticed an increasing number of them being offered in the FotD, and they always go straight to the bottom of my list, because I'm one of those who just don't like them.

Aww, see - Sours are the ones that go straight to the top of mine. That said, there's only a handful of breweries that produce sours I like, so perhaps I'm giving the style too much credit. I'd probably go for more traditional homebrew unless the brewer had some degree of renown in a homebrew swap, however, as sours are far less forgiving than other styles.

I have five different home brews I could have ready in a couple weeks. But that is just per chance, who knows what I might have at any given time. I am set to go this time though. Where is our new thread?:D

Some other things:

Those are good ideas. Agree with sours..especially HB sours..😉. Except @Brizzo whos are awesome. We need to get @m00ps involved here..somehow.

I'm sure it will end up with some sending more then 4, but yeah keep shipping low$$!! I'm off Thursday so will have a thread up then. Keep ideas coming...

I don't think you should not allow certain beer types...that's the benefit of having an actively community of traders which I think we have.

I love sours more than any other type so they're at the top of my list. I would love to try someone else's HB sour even if I don't like it. Constructive criticism goes a long way to improving your/our skillset.

It is unfortunate if you are the last to draw and get something you ultimately don't like, but then again (for me) it is worth the risk.

I think the main thing is someone is not stuck with 4 hb sours who doesn't care for them in general. I love to brew in diversity so variety is usually not a problem with me. But maybe this helps expand our horizons over time.

Can I get a shout out for a good time frame? Certainly don't want to leave anyone out on the inaugural HB trade!

I can do 3 weeks with 2 different brews, sending multiples is easy. I can probably get a cider in there if we're opening it up to that sort of thing as well. I'll wait for the rules on Thursday this should be a good experience.

I can do 3 weeks with 2 different brews, sending multiples is easy. I can probably get a cider in there if we're opening it up to that sort of thing as well. I'll wait for the rules on Thursday this should be a good experience.

Oh yeah, ciders, meade and hard Lemonaids are home brew too!

Back