Fellowship of the Drink V: The Fellowship Drinks Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops I was so wrapped up in my brew day I totally forgot about pick day. I guess it made my job easier. Lol

Maximum of maybe 5 beers (at least in the initial picture/offer) anything additional is just a surprise.....so if you wanna send 2 of each, only one can be in the picture......thats the only thing i felt bad about, i didnt have near the quantity of others.

Idk about u guys, but im ready for the next one, im already shopping for it to "up my game" now that i broke the ice

Maximum of maybe 5 beers (at least in the initial picture/offer) anything additional is just a surprise.....so if you wanna send 2 of each, only one can be in the picture......thats the only thing i felt bad about, i didnt have near the quantity of others.

With 12, 16, 22 or 32oz being 1 beer, how about 80oz max of beers? 5 different crowlers is about 14-12oz cans.

With 12, 16, 22 or 32oz being 1 beer, how about 80oz max of beers? 5 different crowlers is about 14-12oz cans.

That would work, base it off liquid oz :) i just dont wanna feel like i have short changed someone with an offer of lese than others.

Idk. Quantity really doesn't matter to me. I've paid the same amount for all my offerings pretty much. I wouldn't give you 8 beers at $20 a pop but I also won't give you 4 cans from beer I had laying around. That's just me. Nobody but the offering people feel thought their offers were not enough. I thought they were all great and some of the offers with less beer were high in my list. I got lucky enough to get my third pick while being 15 on the pick order.

Just saying mostly that a nice big fancy jester king or creature comforts beer isn't the same as a can of modern times. And when it's a can of beer I like to send two so that you can pound the first one and sip the second. I like to think bout this as being a chance to get exposed to beer I can't get and I like to do the same to others. Just don't like the feeling of being restricted cuz someone feels like they were outdone. Take out the doubles and I really only put up 6 beers that's how I look at it. I don't expect others to offer more or less than I do and I don't like rules that restrict my generosity. But hey! I'll still play whatever the next runner of this decides. It's all great fun just needed to throw my two pennies in there since I put up a few beers this round (really only 6) and am part of reason for this discussion.

I agree with @jerbrew. This thread gives people a chance to try brews they might not try otherwise. If I get four beers I've never tried, I'm totally happy, and it won't stop me from adding extras to my offer.

People who have participated are just generous, not trying to outdo each other.

Another thing I'll mention is that I think allowing new players with no history is always a risky thing. Even though it worked out for this round, it's easy to see how it can be a problem, :2 cents:

I am all about the extras and will continue to hook up whoever picks my offer. I just worry about large offer size scaring away new blood. The beauty of the small offer size is that a guy on a budget can jump in. Everyone playing every round is going to know who the guys that "fill the box" are.

Side note, on this round I completely forgot about getting an offer in until @brizzo tagged me in a post. I live in a state that does not allow beer sales on Sunday, so my offer was just four beers I had sitting around!

If there are to be any restrictions, I'm firmly in the "offer small, fill the box before shipping if you want to" camp.

I agree with @jerbrew. This thread gives people a chance to try brews they might not try otherwise. If I get four beers I've never tried, I'm totally happy, and it won't stop me from adding extras to my offer.

People who have participated are just generous, not trying to outdo each other.

Another thing I'll mention is that I think allowing new players with no history is always a risky thing. Even though it worked out for this round, it's easy to see how it can be a problem, :2 cents:

Agree with your offer philosophy. Perhaps keeping it as is, is best. I've thought about the No History issue also. I'm not going to allow it in VI unless a decorated veteran okays it.

I am all about the extras and will continue to hook up whoever picks my offer. I just worry about large offer size scaring away new blood. The beauty of the small offer size is that a guy on a budget can jump in. Everyone playing every round is going to know who the guys that "fill the box" are.

Side note, on this round I completely forgot about getting an offer in until @brizzo tagged me in a post. I live in a state that does not allow beer sales on Sunday, so my offer was just four beers I had sitting around!

Offer in on a weekday then. Also, think 5 days is too long, how about 3 days before pick?

I can do a Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday night, after 7:30cst (after work) pick as my best times. I'd like to hear preferences.

And 5min between picks?

I'm just gonna throw in that I kind of like what k1ngl1ves said about the picking order. Random first pick and then whomevers order got picked gets to pick next, etc. Just my 2 cents, but don't know what other people think. I'll play it however you guys decide.

Agree with your offer philosophy. Perhaps keeping it as is, is best. I've thought about the No History issue also. I'm not going to allow it in VI unless a decorated veteran okays it.

Just for clarity, what would be considered "no history?"
Makes me think I was lucky to get in this round! :rockin:

It's all for fun!

It's a great way to try beer you otherwise may not get the chance to taste at home. I don't look at rarity or even the ratings, and definitely not quantity. I just want beer that's not normally available to me.

I'm just gonna throw in that I kind of like what k1ngl1ves said about the picking order. Random first pick and then whomevers order got picked gets to pick next, etc. Just my 2 cents, but don't know what other people think. I'll play it however you guys decide.

That is pretty cool, but since so many people want things like RR or NEIPA's we'll be catering to the participants that are local to certain breweries.

If I offered 16 beers to counteract Julius or Pliny, then maybe it would work. But since we're also discussing limiting the offers themselves, the two don't play well together.

I was able to get my #3 selection while at #20 just goes to show that peoples taste differ......i wanted that red velvet cake beer pretty damn bad tho, and i bet there wasnt many others that perferred that over the pliny offer.....(hint hint, throw that in on the next one please!)

That is pretty cool, but since so many people want things like RR or NEIPA's we'll be catering to the participants that are local to certain breweries.

If I offered 16 beers to counteract Julius or Pliny, then maybe it would work. But since we're also discussing limiting the offers themselves, the two don't play well together.

The downside I see to this is that it incentivizes targeting popular tastes. For me personally, I love sours, but I'm guessing that if I wanted to pick first I'd be better off posting a barrel aged stout, NE IPA, a "popular" IPA, and some kind of slightly funky porter.

I say that, knowing that my next offer is probably going to be Captain Lawrence sours regardless, assuming I do in fact make it up there next weekend. ;)

I was able to get my #3 selection while at #20 just goes to show that peoples taste differ......i wanted that red velvet cake beer pretty damn bad tho, and i bet there wasnt many others that perferred that over the pliny offer.....(hint hint, throw that in on the next one please!)

I would imagine you're probably right! It's a strange one - and caters to people who like strange beers. That said - it's delicious, and unfortunately, I'm out of it. :(

We're going to be heading down to Charlottesville at some point in the next month though - if they still have it I'll pick some more up!

I like the draft order as is, since round one haven't yet been top top pick but still I've enjoyed the complexity of the picks and the exposure to many craft beers still received all from my top 1/3rd of my list all throughout !

..And since there has been 5 rounds with a draft order randomized I think it should stay like that. Tradition.

And ditto on the point imasickboy had about "trade value" and limitations of matching perceived community value to volume. I'm in it to be exposed to different beer cultures around the US and quantity received versus given has never even crossed my mind.

I would imagine you're probably right! It's a strange one - and caters to people who like strange beers. That said - it's delicious, and unfortunately, I'm out of it. :(

We're going to be heading down to Charlottesville at some point in the next month though - if they still have it I'll pick some more up!

The day i saw that as an offer i wrote to the brewery to see if i could talk them out of a homebrew recipe version.....both myself and my wife are obsessed with red velvet cake, but we only eat it for special occasions as it has meaning to us (was our wedding cake) and if i can get my hands on somemsort of recipe to play with and tune it......oh man what an anniversary gift that would be for our 20th!

I don't think we need to reinvent the wheel here. The system works fine. I'd be in favor of reducing the time between picks to 5 minutes because i usually follow along until the end.

This is all based on luck, when you get to pick and when your offer gets chosen. My first choice was a 4 beer offer and wasn't available at 11. I chose Scturo because he was in my top 5 and fell to me. I also really like Modern Times and wanted to try Noble. My next choice was coyote68. His offer was chosen second to last but could've been 11th had Scturo been chosen earlier.

My offer could be in the top 3 of everyone's list but still have been chosen last if one of their first 2 choices were available. Lastly, to show how random this could be, right after I chose Scturo my wife was being nosy and looked over the offers and beetched that I should have chosen TwistedGray because she wanted his cups. Had she seen it sooner that would have been my choice to keep her happy!

Someone with no trading history.

1) if no one objects to 5min rounds, want to increase to 30ppl?

2) what about this idea for random orders. Assign a number from the last draw to each person and use it as a multiplier for the next draw. Create a formula where if you were drawn way down on 'V' chances are you'll be one of the first in "VI". All new ppl will have a zero multiplier so it'll be hard to get in the top slot, but still make it possible. How about this kind of an idea?

I'm thankful there are smart people in the world. No way I could figure out a multiplier formula.

I think y'all do a lot of things right- it actually runs smoothly. I would recommend sticking to the 2-4 beers pictured and then if you want to grow in extras so be it-

I agree with @revkev. I want to try beers from other areas. I can get NE IPAs whenever I want. Trillium, treehouse, alchemist, bissel brothers, nebco etc. are readily available. I want to try things that I don't ever see- But next time if there is Pinthouse Pizza available y'all better leave that for me......or else .....

Don't make things too complicated.

I agree with keeping the random order. I've gotten pick #1, and I've been stuck near the end. Both times I've been happy. I'd rather see people putting up cool offerings because they think the beer is good, instead of putting up things that they believe will make them get an early pick. Don't go making fancy formulas and all that jazz. Random order works great, and it's part of what made me want to join in initially.

5 minute rounds are ok, just please give a small grace period when you have pick lists. This time around when there were a bunch of people in a row with pick lists and all of a sudden we jumped 5 slots I got behind tracking what was taken and who's turn it was. Sometimes people give lists because they may or may not be there, it's worth giving them a minute to pipe up and say they may have changed their mind on order.

I agree, we should leave the randomizer be. Don't fix whats not broken right?? Like @RevKev said it is our traditional way. Beer gods will be pissed if we mess with it, no?

That said, I am also fine with 5 min picks. I think most try to follow along live but also the pick lists work great!!!

I am super bummed I missed this round.

I'll be back.......

:mug::mug::mug:

So...5min rounds, keep same randomization, what about 30ppl next round?

Yes or No

Then let's get back to getting our goods out and more importantly our goods IN! 😀

Um, really? Another thing to do? We are lucky to get a pic posted here, even more lucky to get itrader feedback (yet to get that from here I think). Fins trade thread can stand on its own merits. It will be fine.

It's nice to post in the trade pics thread, but not really necessary. I always post the "received" pics here, sometimes there too. I thinks it's good to post a "received" post or pic here, just so everyone knows if and when it was received.

Back