Fellowship of the Drink V: The Fellowship Drinks Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my wife was being nosy and looked over the offers and beetched that I should have chosen TwistedGray because she wanted his cups.

+1 to this, because I wanted his cups, too. I'm going to continue kicking myself for not taking them. If @jimyson ever wants to send me yet another box, I surely wouldn't be disappointed to find those in it. ;)

Um, really? Another thing to do? We are lucky to get a pic posted here, even more lucky to get itrader feedback (yet to get that from here I think). Fins trade thread can stand on its own merits. It will be fine.
+1 to the need for itrader feedback. If you don't leave feedback, that person, (who could have sent you the best freaking box of beer ever), might get excluded from a future trade because of your lack of feedback.

@PianoMan I submit the following rule for your consideration: If a person has participated in a previous FotD, but failed to leave itrader feedback, they shall be excluded from future FotD's until they leave the appropriate feedback.

So...5min rounds, keep same randomization, what about 30ppl next round?

+1 to the five minute clock.

How do you post itrader feedback?

Click the little number next to itrader feedback.

This doesn't show in every subforum here. So find a post from the member you want to leave feedback for in the trading forum. Or, find any post by that member, and click their username, and you can find the feedback link on their profile.

Screenshot from 2017-04-16 20:39:23.jpg

Yes or No

Then let's get back to getting our goods out and more importantly our goods IN! 😀

Th randomizer is fine with me too. I just like it when it's ran exactly at a specific time. That way the host doesn't have the option to run it 30 times until he gets the order he wants.

A screenshot will show the time the randomizer was done. So say we agreed that the drawing will be on Saturday at let's just say 4pm. The screenshot should show it was ran at 4pm on Saturday, and should be posted in the thread as soon as possible. No spontaneous "let's draw now!" crap.

It's a fun event. No one should feel that there are shady elements involved. It is The Brotherhood after all. Lol!

I'm in the line that this was a coincidence that the new guy, who was vouched for by the guy running this round, was the first pick. That's ok with me. It's a randomizer. There were grumbles about it though. I know. I heard some. I tried to make light of it to keep people happy. I still got a great pick near the end. Doesn't change the fact it didn't sit well with others.

30 people? Fine by me too. The more the merrier! That's really gonna stress the 5 minute pick time if we have 30 offers though. At least for the first 15 picks. Plus, there are already a lot of offers that overlap a bit. The more people, the more chance as a late pick you'll get something that is distributed in your area. 3 of the last 5 picks contained some stuff I can buy near home. That kinda scares me a bit.

I also agree that the offers should be 3-4 beers max. Any extras are great (and encouraged... Lol!), but should only be discussed after the picks have been completed. Keep the playing field level. It's all in good fun! I love making people happy with beer, but not when it unexpectedly makes others uncomfortable. I learned that last round, and so this round my offer was smaller. Next round my offer will be even smaller.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this rambling. I appreciate it! :mug:

Maximum of maybe 5 beers (at least in the initial picture/offer) anything additional is just a surprise.....so if you wanna send 2 of each, only one can be in the picture......thats the only thing i felt bad about, i didnt have near the quantity of others.

agreed

This doesn't show in every subforum here. So find a post from the member you want to leave feedback for in the trading forum. Or, find any post by that member, and click their username, and you can find the feedback link on their profile.

Ahhhh. I am primarily an app user. I'll have to log onto the old laptop and do this

+1 to this, because I wanted his cups, too. I'm going to continue kicking myself for not taking them. If @jimyson ever wants to send me yet another box, I surely wouldn't be disappointed to find those in it. ;)

+1 to the need for itrader feedback. If you don't leave feedback, that person, (who could have sent you the best freaking box of beer ever), might get excluded from a future trade because of your lack of feedback.

@PianoMan I submit the following rule for your consideration: If a person has participated in a previous FotD, but failed to leave itrader feedback, they shall be excluded from future FotD's until they leave the appropriate feedback.

Oh man now you did it. Driving me to drinking. :ban::ban::ban:

I have been saving @Bigfish713 's Swantucky bourbon stout for a special ocassion then I was gonna leave my feedback.

So Here goes............

:tank::tank::tank:

Back in a bit........

I think most who don't (haven't yet) leave an itrader score is because it's impossible to figure out from the app which is where I spend 99% of my time on these boards. I have full intention of leaving feedback for everyone. It's just a pain in the ass figuring it out from my phone and that's honestly it. No harsh feelings or unsatisfaction, just need a better app!

Th randomizer is fine with me too. I just like it when it's ran exactly at a specific time. That way the host doesn't have the option to run it 30 times until he gets the order he wants.

A screenshot will show the time the randomizer was done. So say we agreed that the drawing will be on Saturday at let's just say 4pm. The screenshot should show it was ran at 4pm on Saturday, and should be posted in the thread as soon as possible. No spontaneous "let's draw now!" crap.

It's a fun event. No one should feel that there are shady elements involved. It is The Brotherhood after all. Lol!

I'm in the line that this was a coincidence that the new guy, who was vouched for by the guy running this round, was the first pick. That's ok with me. It's a randomizer. There were grumbles about it though. I know. I heard some. I tried to make light of it to keep people happy. I still got a great pick near the end. Doesn't change the fact it didn't sit well with others.
I was very displeased for a while about your comments regarding all that. Actually, I was downright pissed at what you may or may not have been insinuating. But after settling down, I completely understood the point you were making. I'm very sorry that I left an opportunity for any grumbles. The draw was indeed random, but maybe I shouldn't have done it early. Live and learn, I suppose.

Yes or No

Then let's get back to getting our goods out and more importantly our goods IN! 😀

My last two cents. Run the randomizer right before we start. The first 4 FOTD I ranked every offer from 1- however many people we had. This round since we ran the order a day or two early I only ranked offers from 1-10 figuring someone ahead of me would take an offer I didn't rank. Therefore I didn't spend anytime researching the rest of the offers.

I was very displeased for a while about your comments regarding all that. Actually, I was downright pissed at what you may or may not have been insinuating. But after settling down, I completely understood the point you were making. I'm very sorry that I left an opportunity for any grumbles. The draw was indeed random, but maybe I shouldn't have done it early. Live and learn, I suppose.

You did a great job. Thanks for running it.

You did a great job. Thanks for running it.

Agreed @imasickboy you did a great job and I was happy with the flexibility. I had zero issues with anything you did. I also took comfort in the order because it felt truly random to me. This is my 2nd FOTD and the first one I was in dead last. I still got great beer there but it was a surprise to be in 3rd this time and made me feel like if it was truly random it actually balanced well. But I will re affirm...no matter what place you get, you end up with great beer!

30 people? Fine by me too. The more the merrier! That's really gonna stress the 5 minute pick time if we have 30 offers though. At least for the first 15 picks. Plus, there are already a lot of offers that overlap a bit. The more people, the more chance as a late pick you'll get something that is distributed in your area. 3 of the last 5 picks contained some stuff I can buy near home. That kinda scares me a bit.

I also agree that the offers should be 3-4 beers max. Any extras are great (and encouraged... Lol!), but should only be discussed after the picks have been completed. Keep the playing field level. It's all in good fun! I love making people happy with beer, but not when it unexpectedly makes others uncomfortable. I learned that last round, and so this round my offer was smaller. Next round my offer will be even smaller.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this rambling. I appreciate it! :mug:

Wow dude- who cares when the order is drawn? It really doesn't matter. It's not like the person running this thing gets anything out of who draws first-

I agree with your other points

This was my first go and my pick was near yours at the end. I still got one of my top picks. If you are looking for something specific then reach out direct to someone who has what you are looking for. The fun of this thing is the random beers that you may end up with. I put up some sought after neipas that I had to stand in a stupid line for an hour to get and pay stupid amounts of money for. But I ended up getting some beers that I have been really wanting to try.

Ok I am back!!! This freaking Swantucky Bourbon Stout from @Bigfish713 is the best thing I have gotten out of this trade yet!!! No offense to anyone else but Daaammnnn...........

Oh and do we need to make @yooper run the randomizer???:ban::ban::ban:

:mug::mug::mug:

Feedback Left, I am all caught up.:D

I'm ok with everything. I was when it happened too. I'm a trusting guy, with faith in a randomizer! I honestly didn't think you were being shady! It did look odd though, and I'm sure you'd have to agree when looking back. And I did hear grumbles. I tried to "tongue and cheek" it to lighten any arguments that could have occured. It would not be the first trade group I've seen squashed from bickering and unrest, and probably wouldn't have been the last. Lol!

As for the trade order, I still got a great offer and am once again very please with this group!

This is a fun trade event, and I want it to endure. So lets take out anything that could lead to temptation in the future, and lets all enjoy a hundred rounds of a Fellowship!

:mug:

I agree with the love of those cups. I didn't do any research this round and even tried to offer my spot to the guy that was last... so, my pick was 80% based on the glass that I have wanted one of for years... and 20% based on another killer addition to my wife's IPA backpack at dark lord.

I agree with the need for iTrader feedback.

Although I agree in spirit with the feedback requirement, I like pianoman too much to suggest signing him up for enforcing such an idea, it would take hours and hours. I try to leave feedback every time, have been known to forget. I have sent what I believe to be great boxes of beer to people (from fotd included) and received no feedback. It happens. People get busy, life happens.

I only threw a gripe at the trade thread thing because it was presented as a "need to", rather than a: "btw, this exist's"

Btw, ignore everything my drunk ass says.

So, I'm really not insinuating any foul play on this, as imasickboy ran a great round, but the early/off-schedule draft order absolutely lends itself to shenanigans. Again, to be totally clear, there was nothing wrong with this round.
My suggestions for future rounds echo other's.
1. Draft order is scheduled in stone. Randomizer list posted with time stamp would be nice.
2. Offer limits are actual limits. Extras are extras. I'm just as guilty as anyone, but the last few rounds have kind of felt like an arms race, and it's really all in fun, but are we all going to be offering multiple cases of beer by round 10? I'd even just propose a 6 bottle limit (convenient, for my offer, right? [emoji6] )
3. 5 minute pick times are perfect, but we should make it a full 5 minutes, no matter what. I got skipped on a round because I thought I'd have time to log on a little later, but there were quick picks and list picks that moved my pick up way fast. Maybe we schedule pick times? I.e. #1 @ 12:00, #2 @ 12:05, #3 @ 12:10, etc, etc, as naseum.

But that's just me, a lowly participant [emoji16]

Wow dude- who cares when the order is drawn? It really doesn't matter. It's not like the person running this thing gets anything out of who draws first-

I agree with your other points

This was my first go and my pick was near yours at the end. I still got one of my top picks. If you are looking for something specific then reach out direct to someone who has what you are looking for. The fun of this thing is the random beers that you may end up with. I put up some sought after neipas that I had to stand in a stupid line for an hour to get and pay stupid amounts of money for. But I ended up getting some beers that I have been really wanting to try.

I appreciate the fact that you stood in that stupid line for an hour. Your offer was at the top of my list. If you ever decide to stand in that line again grab an extra one of each and send me a pm and I'll hook you up with whatever you want from down here!!

3. 5 minute pick times are perfect, but we should make it a full 5 minutes, no matter what. I got skipped on a round because I thought I'd have time to log on a little later, but there were quick picks and list picks that moved my pick up way fast. Maybe we schedule pick times? I.e. #1 @ 12:00, #2 @ 12:05, #3 @ 12:10, etc, etc, as naseum.
I thought about doing that this round, but wasn't sure about it. People have enough trouble with real life getting in the way of things, and didn't want to try to schedule people's lives for them, but I really do like the idea.

I appreciate the fact that you stood in that stupid line for an hour. Your offer was at the top of my list. If you ever decide to stand in that line again grab an extra one of each and send me a pm and I'll hook you up with whatever you want from down here!!
Brizzo was top three in most of the pick lists I received, so more line standing for you, @Brizzo ! A coworker was going to be in the vicinity of Treehouse, so we asked him to go for us. When he got there, they were out, so all @froggyfrog and I got were glasses.

funny, brizzo was the bottom of my list. maybe because i've been to treehouse a number of times, and the thrill of an hour long wait for 8 cans is dropping off fast. Those guys need to open their new place and get to a point where I know I can show up at any point during their posted hours and get beer before I go back.

/rant.

too much grumbling in here tonight. everybody get a beer.

Seems the top 3 concerns are
1) Randomization Verification (and when ppl want the randomization to take place)
2) Offer Limits
3) Pick times (and intervals between picks)

My suggestions..
1) I did like knowing ahead of time my place. If we do it right before, the last few may be waiting a long time before the ability to submit.
2) I like the 80oz max limit offering.
3) +1 for designated pick times so no one gets left behind. If we do the randomize the day before, I can message everyone a reminder on drawing day.
4) Agree with imasickboy about feedback. It's important we give it to each other for any future endeavors. I don't think we should be excluded, how about a gentle flogging?

Just Another thought about beer limits. My offer had 14 beers although only 6 different brews. I was picked 8th. Just goes to show you the number doesn't really matter. Next time I won't post doubles just thought it would be nice to know I was sending a couple of each.

I'm good with 5 minutes. I mean we have several days to send a pick list. I also like that @imasickboy used the lists to pick quickly for those not around to keep it going quickly.

As for 30 people, I think that's getting crazier than the beer offers. If you can handle it do it but I agree with whoever was saying that offers will start overlapping which may or may not be a good thing.

Last thing, anything I said about froggyfrog it imasickboy about pick order was said in jest and I apologize if anyone took that as legit criticism. I thought that's what the bananas were for.

My suggestions for future rounds echo other's.
1. Draft order is scheduled in stone. Randomizer list posted with time stamp would be nice.
2. Offer limits are actual limits. Extras are extras. I'm just as guilty as anyone, but the last few rounds have kind of felt like an arms race, and it's really all in fun, but are we all going to be offering multiple cases of beer by round 10? I'd even just propose a 6 bottle limit (convenient, for my offer, right? [emoji6] )

But that's just me, a lowly participant [emoji16]

I completely agree on the arms race comment. While I like sticking random extras in the box, continued escalation of offers runs the risk of making FotD inaccessible to a number of people - either due to beer cost, shipping cost, or lack of available, local-ish beer.

I actually was a fan of the early draft order this round, as it made coming up with a pick list a bit easier (and let me schedule plans for lunch on Saturday
- even if that backfired a bit).

If there is any concern about the draft order randomization, I may be able to offer one additional potential solution. For the past few rounds the FotD organizers have had access to a tool I put together to help manage round 2. Basically, the tool helps manage the list of participants, what they're offering, what order they pick in, and who picked whom. When I put it together I specifically designed it to take a random.org "picklist" as an input to help reinforce the impartiality of the list when randomizing for a round I'm running.

To the extent that future organizers want to use the FotD tool, people want some kind of verifiability that the list was in fact randomized, and they don't mind me being the one to provide that verifiability what I could do is add the ability for the tool to generate the random list itself - and then lock that list for the round. Is it a perfect solution? No, but it's easy for the organizers - and easy to verify as well.

funny, brizzo was the bottom of my list. maybe because i've been to treehouse a number of times, and the thrill of an hour long wait for 8 cans is dropping off fast. Those guys need to open their new place and get to a point where I know I can show up at any point during their posted hours and get beer before I go back.

/rant.

too much grumbling in here tonight. everybody get a beer.

Lol agreed! Treehouse is good but there are other better options that are more readily available. But it's a cool beer to try. It's all about trying some new stuff.

Looking forward to the next round! And at the end of the day I thought this ran smoothly and was a lot of fun

Thorrak, I have to say your tool made running round 3 a breeze. Adding in the randomizer would only make it better.

As far as the itrader stuff, i'll admit I've never used it before. Every forum has their own features and I never saw that one explained. I will go back and fill it out for the last couple rounds.

Personally, I don't feel like the draft order was falsified at all, but I totally get how the particular coincidental situation we had this round could appear that way. So another possible solution to the Draftgate issue; have a member that isn't in the current FOTD run a randomizer to get the draft order. There's no concern of the order being toyed with when the party running it has no dog in the race. If the group prefers that method, see if we can convince an admin to run the randomizer. Or tag me in and I can run it if you want (I'm planning on skipping the next one or two; need to take a short trade break). I'm fully unbiased; I hate every one of you equally. :ban: (dancing banana rule in full effect)

I just want to say that I think that imasickboy did a great job running the round. I don't think that anyone seriously thought there was anything underhanded going on the with draft order. Quite a few people chimed in and told him to go ahead and do it early. I mean, everyone got beer and as we can all see, pretty much everyone has different tastes in what beer they prefer. Whatever changes you guys feel you need to keep everything fair and equal is fine by me. Like I said, as long as I end up with beer in the end, I'm happy. As a matter of fact, I think I have just as much fun getting my box ready to send out and picking extras as I do receiving my pick. I think that this trade is a lot of fun and I enjoy B$ing back and forth with everyone.

I've been to USPS, FedEx, and UPS. Everyone is refusing to ship it for me. How are you guys shipping?

I've been to USPS, FedEx, and UPS. Everyone is refusing to ship it for me. How are you guys shipping?

Use FedEx or UPS, it is illegal to ship through the mail. You also cannot tell them what you are shipping. You need to show up packed and ready to go so you can just slap a label on it. If you are questioned about the contents of the box just say it is any non-alcoholic food product.

Lol, I know my FedEx driver pretty well. I told him my last shipment was beer and he just laughed and said I'd better hope he doesn't get thirsty on his route. Try setting up an online account and scheduling a pickup. They will come get it from you and you don't have to tell them anything.

I mark my boxes as fragile, and claim it as glassware. when asked the question about any hazardous stuff, I just say no.

Back