Feedback on English Dark Mild Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could also taste a difference before and after the addition.... Especially the unrefined sugar comes with big molasses flavour, a bit like licorice, this part of the flavour got changed with the baking soda adition, at least according to my taste buds.

Interesting. Did the high heat baking soda neutralization create the licorice flavor, or remove it?

Interesting. Did the high heat baking soda neutralization create the licorice flavor, or remove it?
It changed the licorice into something close, but not the same. Hard to describe. I think piloncillo and raw cane sugar is basically the same, so we are probably talking about the same flavour. Your plan with the windsor sounds good. I have done same type of recipes with other yeasts, about 25-30 ibus, 1.04ish og and moderate late addition plus using only noble hops (goldings ftw!) = marvelous bitter.

I got the molasses/licorice flavor when I used one of the dark piloncillo raw sugars. Not a hint of it in either of these though. I'm contemplating brewing with that jaggery invert #2 today, if I can get a move-on. Just superior 2-row, a little flaked barley and the 1 lb #2 for about 10% of fermentables. Then hit it with a low attenuator like Windsor.

EDIT: 5:50pm brewing update

Brewed the following today. The LHBS was out of Windsor, so I went with London and mashed high.

INVERT 2 EXPERIMENTAL BREW
1.044-1.014, 3.9%, 25 IBU
81% Superior Pale Ale
12.5% Jaggery Invert #2 @ 60
6.5% Torrified Wheat
Bittering @ 60 to 22 IBU
30g Willamette @ 5
Lallemand London.
Drew a gravity sample today. FG is 1.004 which is 90% attenuation on London ale yeast!

First reaction: WTF? That's at least 20% over-attenuation.

I got the molasses/licorice flavor when I used one of the dark piloncillo raw sugars. Not a hint of it in either of these though. I'm contemplating brewing with that jaggery invert #2 today, if I can get a move-on. Just superior 2-row, a little flaked barley and the 1 lb #2 for about 10% of fermentables. Then hit it with a low attenuator like Windsor.

EDIT: 5:50pm brewing update

Brewed the following today. The LHBS was out of Windsor, so I went with London and mashed high.

INVERT 2 EXPERIMENTAL BREW
1.044-1.014, 3.9%, 25 IBU
81% Superior Pale Ale
12.5% Jaggery Invert #2 @ 60
6.5% Torrified Wheat
Bittering @ 60 to 22 IBU
30g Willamette @ 5
Lallemand London.

18 hours on gas. Here's what the colour looks like with that pound of #2 jaggery invert.

I'm bummed that it fermented out to 90%, as I wanted to assess the mouthfeel on a 3.9% beer with invert. Kveik yeast used on a previous batch may be the culprit. Anyways, it's a full-bodied beer at ~5% abv and 1.004 FG, which says something.

No British character to speak of at this point, so I don't know what the invert is providing besides colour. I'll check again in a week or so after its had a chance to mature in the keg.
20221120_151032.jpg

It's been a couple months, but here's how the #2 invert looks in that basic golden promise ale. It definitely imparts colour and even a little flavor to the beer. Hopped a little heavier, it could make a decent bitter (recall it over-attenuated). I'll be doing this again with Windsor as I'm determined to see how well this works in a higher bodied lower abv beer.

20230116_152440.jpg20230116_152603.jpg

And thanks guys. Now I know what to expect from homemade invert made this way, I'll do the following on my next batch:
  • Same inversion process (water+jaggery+acid, heat, b.soda at end). Extend cook time 30 - 45 min to obtain invert #3.
  • Add 5 - 10% UK C60 or C80.
  • Get the abv down below 4%

What about if one of these glasses Designed with head room and legal.
Of course, lined glasses are a different matter, but there was no sign of a line on the original photo, and even if it was lined, that pour would be short in almost any lined glass I know.

I'll have some updated observations to share soon regarding the DIY invert sugar preparation I documented in previous posts. I ended up using a half pound of my #1(ish) invert in a wheat saison, of all things. It turned out to be a really good beer, but in a brew like this there's nowhere for flaws to hide. I observed some things about the sugar and acid to baking soda ratios. It could be that less baking soda is needed...

20231126_155626.jpg

Last edited:
Back