Falconer's Flight SMaSH hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser1878

Reaction score
I am brewing a SMaSH this weekend and want some opinions on the hop schedule. Because of budgetary reasons I could not get anymore grain so I decided to smash with FF. I have never used it and hear good things about it.

12 lbs Gambrinus ESB
4 oz FF
Notty dry yeast.

I was thinking 1oz@60, .5@15,.5@10,1@5,1 dry hop?

I do have 1oz of German NB in the fridge. Should I use it for bittering and use the FF@60 elsewhere in the schedule?

I would go first wort with the 60 min. addition. Yes - I would use the NB instead of the falconers..... however, then it is not a SMaSH beer anymore. So, if that is what you want, don't use the NB. I usually bitter with magnum when I use FF. Other than that, I think it looks good overall. I would push as much to the end as you can.
I usually do something like this with hoppy beers and FF-
.75 magnum FWH
Then 1 ounce additions of FF at 10, 5 and 0.
1 ounce dry hop FF

I brewed one 2 weeks ago with Vienna and 4 oz. of FF. 1st sample taken the other day was excellent. This put me at about 50 ibus. My schedule was..

.25 - FWH
.25 - 60
.75 - 22
.75 - 8
1 - 0
1 - dry hop

Yea I know it would not be a smash but I want to get the most out of the FF as possible. I think I will use the NB to FWH and then go with 10,5,0,DH. Thanks

Back