Failed starter. Can I use this wort with different strain for a 2nd attempt @ starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had some WLP001 yeast frozen in a glycerine solution that I used last night in a starter, but this morning it appears it was not viable. No great surprise since the solution looked to have separated somewhat.

So now I have 1.5 liters of wort that I can either toss or use for a different starter. I'd like to repitch some Wyeast 3068 into this. How much of an effect would the remnants of the WLP001 have on the 3068 starter?

I once did this like ten years ago and I swore I could taste the bad yeast in the beer. I'd make a new starter.

IME with frozen yeast, the first starter step takes the longest. In the order of a couple/few days before it either takes off or finishes (with a stirplate). I wouldn't assume it's dead just overnight. If it doesn't smell BAD, let it go longer and be patient. If you're not using a stirplate, then expect it to take even longer.

How big was your frozen yeast sample? Aren't they usually thawed and put into small amounts of 1.020 wort first, then stepped up to 1.040 in larger sizes?

I've made starter from frozen yeast like this multiple times before and almost always had it take off quicker than this. I usually start it at night, and by the morning I'll have plenty of milkiness in its appearance.

I pitched twice the amount of frozen yeast as usual because I had suspicions. There was no krausen line at all this morning. I'm using a stirplate. I've had it sitting for a couple of hours now to see what accumulated on the bottom of the jar, and it looks like no more than the remnants of my two 15ml vials and perhaps some hot break from the wort.

I've just restarted it and will let it go for the rest of the day to see if it is just slow. It's around 77F in the room it is in.

Back