F2 bottling yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braindead

Reaction score
Question for you guys.
I carbed my imperial stout bottles last week using the Safale F2 bottling yeast. I may have added a touch too much sugar. Heres my question, the bottles are actually carbed to perfection after less than a week. My worry is if leave them will they become overcarbed and turn into bottle bombs. So would it be wise just put them all in the fridge for 24 hrs to crash and drop the yeast out to hopefully stop it carbing more.

You’ll have to keep them all in the fridge. Fermentation will start right up again when they get warm.

To be safe, yes - keep them cold. However I’m wondering... you said you “may have” added too much sugar. Is that just because they’re already carbed, or because you think you messed up your calculation or weighing? I ask because if it’s just the former, then they may have reached their peak carb quicker than you thought they would. I mention this because storing them at 50 would allow you to cellar/age them better than “lagering” them in the fridge (which won’t ruin them by any means, but 50 allows you to let them age better and won’t tie up your fridge space).

Back